Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PFT: Trade talk persists regarding Steven Jackson

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PFT: Trade talk persists regarding Steven Jackson

Trade talk persists regarding Steven Jackson
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT

With the trade deadline only two days away, Rams running back Steven Jackson continues to be at the center of speculation regarding a possible deal that would send him out of St. Louis in his ninth season with the team.

In recent years, there has been speculation that the Rams should ship Jackson to a contending team, given that the Rams were anything but contending. Now that the Rams are truly contending, itís odd that theyíd move him.

But it has been reported this season that the Rams donít plan on bringing Jackson back next year. If thatís the case, why not get something for him now?

And so Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Rams have fielded inquiries regarding Jackson. Though heís not being actively shopped, the Rams are willing to listen.

Suitors include the Packers, who donít have much of a running game since the injury to Cedric Benson. Then again, they didnít have much of a running game with Benson.

The Rams would have to get a sweet deal in exchange for Jackson. Otherwise, it could be difficult to sell the fans on a decision to send the most popular member of the post-Greatest Show on Turf out of town.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Re: PFT: Trade talk persists regarding Steven Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

With the trade deadline only two days away, Rams running back Steven Jackson continues to be at the center of speculation regarding a possible deal that would send him out of St. Louis in his ninth season with the team.

In recent years, there has been speculation that the Rams should ship Jackson to a contending team, given that the Rams were anything but contending. Now that the Rams are truly contending, itís odd that theyíd move him.

But it has been reported this season that the Rams donít plan on bringing Jackson back next year. If thatís the case, why not get something for him now?

And so Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Rams have fielded inquiries regarding Jackson. Though heís not being actively shopped, the Rams are willing to listen.

Suitors include the Packers, who donít have much of a running game since the injury to Cedric Benson. Then again, they didnít have much of a running game with Benson.

The Rams would have to get a sweet deal in exchange for Jackson. Otherwise, it could be difficult to sell the fans on a decision to send the most popular member of the post-Greatest Show on Turf out of town.
    How are they contending?
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I did not know SJ was on that team....

Sign and trade for Jennings in a heart beat! Get a long term deal done with Jennings and it would be worth it. Win win for both parties.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I did not know SJ was on that team....

Sign and trade for Jennings in a heart beat! Get a long term deal done with Jennings and it would be worth it. Win win for both parties.

Definitely agree. Trade for Jennings or another one of the packers Wrs/2 Wr's or Wr+ Safety.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

I'd prefer he finished his career as a Ram but the reality is we're rebuilding and he's old (for a RB). Take what you can get. It's a business after all.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post
    How are they contending?
    well...rams ARE 2-0 in the division

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rotoworld passing along a Peter King report...

SI's Peter King suggested on Football Night in America Sunday that Steven Jackson and Dwayne Bowe are the two likeliest players in the league to be traded ahead of Tuesday's deadline.

King reported that the phones are currently "dead" around the league, but that can change quickly in a deadline league. Per King, the Rams would be unwilling to trade Jackson for anything less than a third-round pick. King said the same for the Chiefs and Bowe. Expect trade buzz to pick up by Monday night.
    It's a shame the Chiefs don't need a running back, or we could just swap player for player.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bradwill is offline Registered User

If I am GB, I'd give a 3rd rounder for SJ.

Rotoworld passing along a Peter King report...

It's a shame the Chiefs don't need a running back, or we could just swap player for player.
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this but if we trade SJ it needs to be to a team that is a winner. A team like the Packers one that is going to the playoffs.

I don't think a trade happens.

mh-i is offline Registered User

I'm with you. Trade him to a winner. Give him a shot at a Super Bowl.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I know I'm going to get slammed for this but if we trade SJ it needs to be to a team that is a winner. A team like the Packers one that is going to the playoffs.

I don't think a trade happens.
    IMO, SJ has played his last game as a Ram.......

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Well, this offense only scores 7-10 points a game with SJ, so what's the difference if we ship him? I say ship him off for a 3rd round pick, or an Offensive Lineman.

...I'd like to ship a few others while we're at it.
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

This is a business. There is a reason teams like the Patriots are top 5 year in and year out. That is because they realize when they can get their best bang for their buck. They've been shipping guys out when they get older forever now (Mike Vrabel, Ty Law, Richard Seymour, and many, many more). If we can get a 3rd for SJ, get him outta here right now! I love him as much as the next guy (look at my name), but he likely wont be around next year anyways, plus we've got a good group of RB's that need their playing time. Pead and DRich can bring it to the house at any time, SJ can get a 15 yard run. He can still be productive, but its time for the next era of a great Rams RB.

THE DREAM TEAM

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

And actually, the Packers (Ted Thompson) has devised BIG trade packages in the past for Steven Jackson. I say the Packers are a team to REALLY watch out for. Thompson holds Jackson in the highest regards, and SJ may be the key to another ring for those guys.

THE DREAM TEAM

By Adam Schefter | ESPN

The St. Louis Rams have fielded trade inquiries about running back Steven Jackson over the past few weeks in advance of Tuesday's NFL trade deadline, according to league sources.

Sando: Jackson On the Move?

SandoThe fact Steven Jackson will be a free agent after this season will make trading him difficult for the Rams, Mike Sando writes. Blog

Multiple teams have called the Rams to discuss Jackson's availability, and while the Rams are not proactively shopping Jackson, or any other player, they are willing to listen to offers.

Teams such as Arizona, Green Bay, Dallas and Pittsburgh each have dealt with injuries at the running back position and make sense as potential trade partners. Green Bay, in particular, has coveted Jackson in the past.

Jackson was largely shut down Sunday against the Patriots in London, finishing with 23 yards on seven carries in St. Louis' 45-7 loss. He has 403 yards and one touchdown through eight games this season.
    If it's going to happen it will happen soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast