• 2 Post By RamDez
  • 2 Post By Nick

Thread: PFW on Amendola & Rams' WR Situation

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

PFW on Amendola & Rams' WR Situation

Rams remain in dire need of playmaking wideouts
    Posted Jan. 10, 2013 @ 10:32 a.m. ET
    By Dan Arkush

After improving from 30th to 18thin passing yardage this season — with three pass catchers registering at least 666 receiving yards (WRs Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson and fourth-round rookie Chris Givens) — does wide receiver still shape up as the Rams’ No. 1 draft need for the second season in a row?

“It’s right up there,” one team insider said. “You’ve got to score points, and they still really need another playmaker, even if Amendola (one of 13 pending unrestricted free agents) comes back. If neither he nor (UFA) Gibson, who had a career year, don’t re-sign, then you’re suddenly down to three guys — Givens, (second-round rookie Brian) Quick and (second-year pro Austin) Pettis.”

The big issue with Amendola remains his penchant for injuries. After a separated SC joint (clavicle) and foot injury sidelined him for five games and limited him in three others, the fact he has suited up for a total of only 12 games the past two seasons is major cause for concern.

“Had he stayed healthy, he probably would have had something like 100 catches and 1,100 yards — No. 1 WR-type numbers,” the insider said. “But they’re hesitant to cut a long-term deal for him.”

Could Givens, who had a catch of 50-plus yards in five consecutive games, be a legitimate No. 1 receiver in the making?

“That’s a great question,” the insider said. “He got more attention on deep balls and got better running shorter routes, but I’m not ready to say just yet that he can be a No. 1 guy.”

While Quick, who was drafted two rounds ahead of Givens, struggled mightily to adjust to the pro level after playing at FCS Division I Appalachian State, Pettis made major strides as a dependable red-zone target as the season wore on.

“He has his pluses and minuses,” the insider said of Pettis, a third-round pick in 2011. “He has very good hands and long arms, but he’s not very physical. He did develop a chemistry with (QB Sam) Bradford. I could see him being the main slot receiver if Amendola moves on.”

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Re: PFW on Amendola & Rams' WR Situation

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The big issue with Amendola remains his penchant for injuries. After a separated SC joint (clavicle) and foot injury sidelined him for five games and limited him in three others, the fact he has suited up for a total of only 12 games the past two seasons is major cause for concern.
    I call BS on that. Maybe if the guy didn't make diving left handed catches across the middle he wouldn't get hurt so often. His 'penchant for injuries' is because he tries so damn hard. Maybe if he took every third play off like so many others he'd stay healthy.

Imo, Danny has what EVERY team should want ... BALLS. I love what this team has become .... and people like Danny and Chris and Jack (and so many others) are the reason for that.

We are Lambs no more ...
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

the problem is that injuries pile up, and with his play-style, they may continue to. I can't say I blame the Rams for being hesitant to give him a long-term deal, but man I'd hate to lose him. Still can't believe we pulled him off a practice squad.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Or if the Rams had another equal to Amendola on the oppposite flank to compliment him, he wouldn't get injured as often. Remember the Rams had Bruce and Holt once upon a time; who now, 2012, can we point to is the Bruce/Holt equavent? Amendola and.....(who)? I can't say Gibson, Givens, Quick, or Pettis are a tandium with Amendola as Bruce/holt where...not yet

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If Danny wants to continue being a productive receiver for the Rams, he better stop allowing big hits to come his way. He's smaller than RG3 and is prone to injury, he should learn a thing or two from Tavon Austin and avoid taking big hits although Austin has bigger upside and we might consider him with our 2nd first round pick if Danny's not the safe choice.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    If Danny wants to continue being a productive receiver for the Rams, he better stop allowing big hits to come his way. He's smaller than RG3 and is prone to injury, he should learn a thing or two from Tavon Austin and avoid taking big hits although Austin has bigger upside and we might consider him with our 2nd first round pick if Danny's not the safe choice.
    Absolutely right. Danny needs to engage in a little self-preservation. His "balls out" style is great to watch and endears him to fans but comes at a price. You're of no value injured, and his inactivity has turned a situation where his re-signing could be a no-brainer to one which is very much in question. I certainly understand the reluctance to commit long-term, but allowing him to leave will not only really disappoint me, it would also be a big mistake.

While our current crop of guys are respectable and productive in spots, none of them represent the playmaker we so desperately (yes, DESPERATELY) need. Keeping Amendola only helps us while letting him go could severely hamstring us.
    RealRam likes this.

I love how Danny plays .... Unfortunately his average is not good, 6 games a season does not make for great return on a salary cap. Big balls or not, it a legit question to be asking.
    Fargo Ram Fan and DE_Ramfan like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I hope it doesn't come to this but I have a feeling the Rams are going to franchise Amendola... if that happens say bye bye to all our cap room

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I hope it doesn't come to this but I have a feeling the Rams are going to franchise Amendola... if that happens say bye bye to all our cap room
    That's probably a good reason why it won't happen.
    RealRam and shower beers like this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I call BS on that. Maybe if the guy didn't make diving left handed catches across the middle he wouldn't get hurt so often. His 'penchant for injuries' is because he tries so damn hard. Maybe if he took every third play off like so many others he'd stay healthy.

Imo, Danny has what EVERY team should want ... BALLS. I love what this team has become .... and people like Danny and Chris and Jack (and so many others) are the reason for that.

We are Lambs no more ...
    Your so right. This team is headed in the right direction largely due to Danny and company.

Go Rams

Beastified is offline Registered User

I'm not worried about Danny not being a Ram next season. He is too vital and important to let go. Same thing with Sjax.

The one people should really be worrying about is Hayes. He is the one I think we have the least shot of resigning.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

5'11", 188 and a "BALLS" style of play...in the NFL...will not result in one being a reliable, HEALTHY asset to one's team...for very long. He has to be smarter about his overly aggressive style of play. You dont need to lay out for every ball, all season long. Wes Welker is a smaller dude, every bit as valuable to his team...and other than his ACL injury, has missed almost no time to injuries.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

The Rams need to get bang for their buck. So for this reason, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams allowed Amendola to walk this off season. Granted, Amendola's production and chemistry with QB Sam Bradford, could make it a difficult decision for the FO. But, if you consider Danny's injury history so far, and his potential upside going forward. I believe the FO should be able to move forward without too much hesitation. Just my opinion.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Even from Danny's point of view, the Rams concern over his availability regarding his being able to remain healthy throughout a full season must bear some legitimacy. If Danny wants to remain a Ram, I believe there is negotiating room. On the other hand, if Danny just wants to get as much money as he can regardless of which team makes the top offer, then he's probably gone. Being as the Rams have a legit concern regarding Danny's health and availability over a full season, isn't it possible the Rams could offer Danny an incentive laden contract which would pay him well if he can stay on the field, while affording the Rams some relief if he can't? Hopefully both sides can reach an agreement that will allow Danny to remain a Ram. I am betting they can and will ..