Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PFW: Hang-up in Rams/Jackson negotiations is about guaranteed money

Even though the amount he owes the Rams in fines had surpassed the $100,000 mark heading into the weekend, our sources in St. Louis still believe the team isnít panicking yet over the contract holdout of featured RB Steven Jackson. At this writing, the hang-up in negotiations for a new long-term contract that reportedly would put Jackson among the top five NFL running backs in the payroll department is the amount of guaranteed money the team is willing to pay. Team insiders say Jackson is looking for at least $20 million in guaranteed money, while the Rams have their sights set a bit lower.
    Posted by Pro Football Weekly yesterday.

For reference's sake, Larry Johnson's six-year deal last fall included $19 million in total guarantees. Four years ago when LT signed his new deal, it included $21 million in guarantees. Darren McFadden's rookie contract includes $26 million guaranteed; Adrian Peterson's rookie deal from last year had $17 million in guaranteed money.

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

Re: PFW: Hang-up in Rams/Jackson negotiations is about guaranteed money

Why can't they give it to him then? It's less than LT's..more than LJ's. If The Rams sights are only set 'a bit lower', than what's the beef? Lol.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

If this is true, I can't see why the Rams don't want to pay what seems like the going rate for guaranteed money to a top NFL running back. Does anyone who thinks Jackson has been out of line see $20 million as unreasonable?

Keenum is offline Registered User

I've also read he wants 20 mil guarnateed.

Those rookie contracts are ridiculous, but you'd have to think Jackson deserves more than a rookie, right?

Chris58 is offline Registered User

I can see why the Rams are balking at giving JAX $20 Mil guaranteed. LJ got $19 mil last fall then played in 8 games and rushed for 558 yards. Not exactly what the Chiefs were hoping for.

general counsel is offline Registered User

There is absolutely no question that this situation is example 1,000,000 of why rookie contracts are so out of line with market value. How in the world can anyone make the argument that mcfaddin (who i love) deserves more guaranteed money than steven jackson. IT makes no sense at all, but that is the reality subject to a new collective bargaining agreement.

The thing that is so nuts is that this is one issue on which the owners and the players association should be 100% on the same page. This is not an issue of total cap money, its an issue of allocation of risk. A player that has never set foot on the field before is riskier than a proven nfl player. Current contracts are not reflecting that reality.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    I can see why the Rams are balking at giving JAX $20 Mil guaranteed. LJ got $19 mil last fall then played in 8 games and rushed for 558 yards. Not exactly what the Chiefs were hoping for.
    That's a fair point, but if the Rams were gun shy of injury issues, why did they give Bulger $27 million in guaranteed money with his history? If they plan on making Jackson the centerpiece of their offense, they need to give him what's reasonable for a top tier back and for better or worse, $20 million is reasonable in 2008 by the current standard.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Here's the thing there is now way a rookie should be getting more than a Veteran. If this is the case I don't blame SJ for not coming to camp. 20 is more than fair on his end, and they should pay him. I'm sure they wanna give him something like 18.5, and Action Jax is like naw pay me 20, some of you might think that huh? that's only 1.5 million dollars but when you get into taxes, agent fees and what not it comes out to be more like 3 or 4 million dollars.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think 20 mil is perfectly reasonable. He is young and dominant

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

According to almost the entire board, the pre-draft article about the Dorsey/Long competition from PFW was untrue and bogus, so I guess we should take this article with a grain of salt or perhaps completely render it false? That sounds about right.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    According to almost the entire board, the pre-draft article about the Dorsey/Long competition from PFW was untrue and bogus, so I guess we should take this article with a grain of salt or perhaps completely render it false? That sounds about right.
    Which PFW article about the Dorsey/Long competition? Are you sure you're thinking of Pro Football Weekly and not Pro Football Talk?

Regardless, the information in this PFW article about differences in guaranteed money is pretty much confirmed by Jim Thomas.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Although up in the air, guaranteed money seems to be the crux of the matter alright.

Going by a hunch alone, I'm feeling a re$olution this week!

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

The man has only had one top echelon season. Not that 05 or last year were terrible, but if I'm not mistaken he missed time due to injuries both those years. I think a bit of concern is totally understandable.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I can see him wanting $20M guaranteed. Doesn't sound completely out of line to me.

However, if he's not going to act in good faith (ie. show up for work), then why should the Rams even consider it. If he reported, entered into negotiations, and the Rams STILL wouldn't consider $20M..........then I'd feel more for Jackson.

Until then, he's just AWOL.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Javaman is offline Registered User

I heard Westbrooke is asking for LT type money from the Eagles. Would it benefit Jax's agent at all to wait and see what Westbrooke signs for? How would it effect the negotiations if he does get it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast