Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: PFW: Hang-up in Rams/Jackson negotiations is about guaranteed money

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Which PFW article about the Dorsey/Long competition? Are you sure you're thinking of Pro Football Weekly and not Pro Football Talk?

Regardless, the information in this PFW article about differences in guaranteed money is pretty much confirmed by Jim Thomas.
    With the Dolphins having agreed to terms with Michigan OT Jake Long, the Rams can now finalize their selection, and the way we hear it, they have narrowed their choices down to two players ó Virginia DE Chris Long and LSU DT Glenn Dorsey.

The problem the Rams now face is a very clear division among the top decision makers. The way we hear it, newly appointed executive V.P. of player personnel Billy Devaney, in his first decision-making role, is leaning toward the safest selection, Chris Long.

However, the coaching staff, especially on defense, is not on board with the selection, according to multiple team sources. The way we hear it, the coaches think Dorsey is the best defensive player in the draft and have made their feelings well known in the draft room. In recent meetings, discussions have become so heated that a prominent member of the coaching staff was asked to leave the room after piping in with his opinion of the less desirable (in his opinion) Long.
    Pro Football Weekly

I'm not trying to start something, just trying to show that it did in fact come from PFW. Jackson better sign soon or else this team is in major trouble /understatement of the century.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    That's a fair point, but if the Rams were gun shy of injury issues, why did they give Bulger $27 million in guaranteed money with his history? If they plan on making Jackson the centerpiece of their offense, they need to give him what's reasonable for a top tier back and for better or worse, $20 million is reasonable in 2008 by the current standard.
    Comparing longevity and injury for starting RB's to starting QB's in the NFL is pretty different. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Bulger's worst injuries happened after he signed the extension. He didn't hold out even though he knew he was the Rams best hope at QB just as we all know SJ is the Rams best hope at RB.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    The man has only had one top echelon season. Not that 05 or last year were terrible, but if I'm not mistaken he missed time due to injuries both those years. I think a bit of concern is totally understandable.
    If Jackson's injuries were catastrophic or required any type of major surgery, you might have a point. He's been nicked up and lost time, but has always fought back and played, usually quite well. If the Rams are reluctant about giving Jackson guaranteed money at the going rate based on injury concerns, they have a weak case IMO.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    He didn't hold out even though he knew he was the Rams best hope at QB just as we all know SJ is the Rams best hope at RB.
    Technically he "held out" briefly by missing the opening meeting of training camp last season. His deal was announced the following day.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    Comparing longevity and injury for starting RB's to starting QB's in the NFL is pretty different. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Bulger's worst injuries happened after he signed the extension. He didn't hold out even though he knew he was the Rams best hope at QB just as we all know SJ is the Rams best hope at RB.
    See my previous post.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

The rookie contracts is the cause of this. Give Jackson the money. He's shown us time and time again, that with him on the field, we play better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12