Thread: PFW Notes

RamWraith is offline Registered User

PFW Notes

With 2005 third-round draft pick Richie Incognito looking impressive in the Rams' last full-squad minicamp and '05 fourth-round pick Claude Terrell still looking chunkier than the Rams would like, we hear Incognito could have a decent shot at replacing Terrell as the team's starting left guard. After missing his rookie season with a kneecap injury, Incognito's mobility and strength drew high marks at the last minicamp, but the fact the Nebraska product hasn't played an actual game since the fall of '03 is a bit worrisome.

The hamstring that Rams CB Jerametrius Butler tweaked a couple of weeks before the team's last minicamp could be considered a significant setback, especially taking into account how much 2006 first-round pick Tye Hill appeared to improve from the previous minicamp. Conversely, we hear CB Travis Fisher, who, like Butler, was plagued by injuries last season, looked very good in the last minicamp.

Although new Rams VP of player personnel Tony Softli will oversee both the Rams' pro and college scouting departments, which will be headed by holdovers Charley Armey and Lawrence McCutcheon, respectively, we're told the former head of college scouting for the Panthers still must answer to both head coach Scott Linehan and president of football operations Jay Zygmunt. In addition, the new setup is definitely a demotion for Armey, who just turned 67 and wasn't interested in setting up shop elsewhere at this stage in his career.

Several players with ties to Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz are moving their way up the depth chart. ORT Rex Tucker supplanted last year's starter Kelly Butler in minicamp, and RB Arlen Harris, a solid receiver with good speed, has ascended to No. 2 behind starter Kevin Jones. A third ex-Ram, WR Mike Furrey, remains very much in the mix for a reserve WR spot.

Massive TE Brandon Manumaleuna may have been acquired by the Chargers more for blocking purposes, but it's his soft hands that have caught the eye of new QB Philip Rivers and the coaching staff.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: PFW Notes

Several players with ties to Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz are moving their way up the depth chart. ORT Rex Tucker supplanted last year's starter Kelly Butler in minicamp, and RB Arlen Harris, a solid receiver with good speed, has ascended to No. 2 behind starter Kevin Jones. A third ex-Ram, WR Mike Furrey, remains very much in the mix for a reserve WR spot.

• Massive TE Brandon Manumaleuna may have been acquired by the Chargers more for blocking purposes, but it's his soft hands that have caught the eye of new QB Philip Rivers and the coaching staff.
    Thats good to know that some of our former players are doing well. How about Archuleta? I havent heard much about him after he left.

The hamstring that Rams CB Jerametrius Butler tweaked a couple of weeks before the team's last minicamp could be considered a significant setback
    I hope Butler fully recovers when the season starts.

2006 first-round pick Tye Hill appeared to improve from the previous minicamp.
    Thats really really good to hear!!!
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -07-10-2006 at 01:52 PM.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Manumaleuna looking good in camp? Hmmm sounds like something I've heard before. I would love to see it transition into an actual game, but I will be surprised if I do.

I like that Hill has improved from his first camp. That means he's working hard. It appears that the Rams made the right choice at CB.

Incognito is my choice for LG. I like Terrel but it seems like he needs to realize that he has to work hard all year. I have a good feeling about the future of the Rams O-Line and the team in general. So far it appears that Scott Linehan was the perfect choice for the job.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RF4e
    Thats good to know that some of our former players are doing well.
    Ah, but what the Chargers fans will soon realize is what a practice field player Manu really is (or at least was here). If you've ever been to a Rams camp, one of the first things a fan will notice is the sure-handed catches and agile motion from this 300-pound TE. One would be willing to bet the farm that Manu was ready for a "breakout" year. He was a training camp phenom.

But apparently Manu is a religious man, because on Sundays he always took the day off.

Maybe a change of scenary will do him good, I hope so for his sake. However, until he consistently steps up during games and not just camp, I will hold off on his emergence.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Manu a religious man because he took Sundays off? Hilariious. You owe me a flat panel because I just spit Vanilla Pepsi all over the thing.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Manu's problem has never been his hands. His problem is that he, despite playing at 280-300 lbs, is an average (at best) blocker and has never broken a tackle after a reception.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Manu's problem has never been his hands. His problem is that he, despite playing at 280-300 lbs, is an average (at best) blocker and has never broken a tackle after a reception.
    True......and it made me absolutely sick to watch it. There's no reason a 300 pound man should be taken down by a 200 pound man. And don't even get me started on the amazing shrinkage his arms would have when going across the middle.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod