Falconator Guest

PFW Whispers - "Rams weak roster reflects "dysfunctional" front office

The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly

When you really study the Rams roster, there are not many guys you would want. Outside of Steven Jackson and maybe Marc Bulger, Im not sure Id want any of them. Chris Long will be all right once he settles into the position, but hes no help right now. They have fallen hard since Charley Armey left. Its a very dysfunctional front office, and we are seeing the same on the field there is no uniformity.

this is in the PFW "audibles" section which is supposed to be anonymous quotes from other NFL GMs, Scouts, and College Scouts.....pretty damning stuff - I think you guys do have some dysfunction but not sure to what level - if worse or better than being portrayed.

what say you?

btimsah Guest

Re: PFW Whispers - "Rams weak roster reflects "dysfunctional" front office

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    The Way We Hear It - NFL pro football rumors and insider news from Pro Football Weekly

When you really study the Rams roster, there are not many guys you would want. Outside of Steven Jackson and maybe Marc Bulger, Im not sure Id want any of them. Chris Long will be all right once he settles into the position, but hes no help right now. They have fallen hard since Charley Armey left. Its a very dysfunctional front office, and we are seeing the same on the field there is no uniformity.

this is in the PFW "audibles" section which is supposed to be anonymous quotes from other NFL GMs, Scouts, and College Scouts.....pretty damning stuff - I think you guys do have some dysfunction but not sure to what level - if worse or better than being portrayed.

what say you?
    I've been saying it for years. They keep getting "Character" guys who flat out suck. Linehan is a nice guy, but he flat out sucks. Our biggest area of failure has been the secondary. There's been a total lack of attention paid to our secondary. Tye Hill showed very little in his rookie season to suggest we should rely on him as our starting corner this season. Yet they failed to see that. Fakir Brown is a nice corner, but he's not what you want as a starting NFL corner. But they never saw that.

Witherspoon is playing out of position and is too small for MLB. Pisa is also undersized. Leroy Glover is undersized and just not that good. Carriker is a nice player, playing out of position as well. Chris Long was a 3-4 defensive end who does not fit well in a 4-3.

NUMEROUS mistakes and misjudgment of talent has ruined this program. I cried again and again to anyone who would listen that we needed to GET LITO SHEPHARD, WHATEVER IT TAKES. Draft a big time corner with the first or second pick because I, some loser at home, recognized the huge glaring weaknesses of this team.

But somehow this front office and coaching staff completely missed it. Maybe it's because their "too nice"?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

what say you?
    id mention a few more players than 3 as bright spots but not too many... i browsed around the site and read other stories too....Alan Branch stuck out for me..to think we could have picked him up instead of AC..one shudders at the thought!!

Falconator Guest

yes, Falcons did better than the Rams in personnel over the last few years but we made several mistakes as well (Jamaal Anderson, DE is AWFUL!!!!) Falcons were obviously dysfunctional even before "doggie-gate" and we were never going to go anywhere with the one-dimensional Michael Vick who was easy to defend inside the red zone and could never find the open man or go through pass progressions - he was stupid and lazy - and that is nothing to do with his race - just his character and crappy work ethic - and I was a big Vick fan at first - had the jersey and t-shirts to prove it.

Thomas Dimitroff is new Falcons GM who was the director of college scouting at New England is doing a great job.......You Rams guys got the former Asst. GM from Atlanta - Billy Devaney - if I was you guys, I would blow out Devaney and blow up the front office - get a stud GM and bring in Steve Spagnuolo as head coach and you guys could turn it around in 3 years......

We Falcons are in "year 1" of our three year turnaround. You guys are in "year 0" and "year 1" does not start until the GM and coach are gone and you clear the dead wood.......Falcons cleared out Michael Vick, Alge Crumpler, Warrick Dunn, DeAngelo Hall - some good players but some old, some with character problems, etc. - Falcons turned over more than 35% of their roster this year - we are still transitioning and I see no better than 6-10 record for us this year - even though we are 2-1 now.....you gotta start somewhere and you guys are at the most frustrating point - you know the team needs to be "blown up" but you have not started yet - your fun will begin in January with new coach and GM - good luck to you.....

Hang on - it gets better - I promise!!!
    Last edited by Falconator; -09-23-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Truth is offline Registered User

what say you?

No disrespect meant to Falconater in any way for posting the article, but is this news to anybody???
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    No disrespect meant to Falconater in any way for posting the article, but is this news to anybody???
    i'm sure you guys were/are more versed in Rams situation than this sportswriter for PFW - but just thought you might find it interesting or at least want to read it......maybe not....

Truth is offline Registered User

i'm sure you guys were/are more versed in Rams situation than this sportswriter for PFW - but just thought you might find it interesting or at least want to read it......maybe not....
    Again, no disrespect meant towards you, or the posting of the article. It's the article itself that really doesn't seem to be "news." I certainly wouldn't call it a rumor. More like a blatantly obvious fact.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Falconator Guest

ok.....no problem - well, hope the Rams get it solved.....obviously a new direction is preferable.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

what say you?
    Gee, thanks for all that positivity. I do think there's some truth to it, though.

It seemed like the plan when Linehan arrived was to bring in some key personnel to fit Haslett's defense, and then we'd start building through the draft to hedge against the aging of our core talent. Some of the personnel moves have been pretty baffling, though. Curtis left because he wouldn't get a chance to start with us. He wasn't getting a chance to start because we had Isaac Bruce...whom we promptly cut the following year. Chillar didn't even want much money, and we let him walk to become a backup elsewhere. We haven't really had a consistent pass rush since Bryce Fisher and Grant Wistrom left, both of whom we watched leave to a division rival who coincidentally took control of the division at about the same time. One of the main reasons we don't have many players that other teams would want is because they've already had their pick of a number of our more talented players.

Unfortunately, it also seems as if as soon as we lock a player up with a long-term contract, they become snake-bitten. Tinoisamoa, Little, Pace, Bulger, Holt...they've all been really banged up the last few years, and those are the guys we rely on most to succeed.

crazyl3gs is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Again, no disrespect meant towards you, or the posting of the article. It's the article itself that really doesn't seem to be "news." I certainly wouldn't call it a rumor. More like a blatantly obvious fact.
    True. Blatantly obvious fact. In fact, one that I used to defend a position on another forum on a thread the spawned from Marshall Faulk's statement after Week 1 that he thought that the whole team should be blown up.

But at least this should go to show that sources outside just us pissed off fans on the internet are noting that the problems lie not just within the coaching staff and the player personnel but in the guys that are responsible for those hires and pick-ups to begin with.

Zygmunt must go. Devaney must go. Softi... someone feel free to make a case, but I'm about ready to kick him to the curb too. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone (if not us) target Ed McGuire, the assistant GM to AJ Smith in San Diego, or some of the Directors of Scouting/VP of Player Personnel from some of the more recently/traditionally successful front offices/teams (referring more to selecting and churning out quality players) like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, and (dare I say it) Tampa Bay. The Dallas and New England cupboards were pretty well picked bare this past off-season.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Tell us something we don't know...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams