Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

PFW: Witherspoon not a lock at MLB?

For those of you that still hold out hope for an outside shift, this was posted to Pro Football Weekly's Rams section yesterday...

If Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett had his druthers, 2006 free-agent addition Will Witherspoon would continue as the team’s middle linebacker after previously playing entirely on the weak side with the Panthers. Witherspoon’s first year with the Rams was solid for the most part, especially early on. As the season progressed, however, he suffered some costly breakdowns in coverage, in no small part due to the fact that WLB Pisa Tinoisamoa was playing hurt alongside him much of the season. Haslett believes Witherspoon will improve in his second season in the Rams’ system. But we’re hearing that head coach Scott Linehan would like to add some size in the LB corps, and that the possibility of Witherspoon and Tinoisamoa playing on the outside with a bigger ’backer in the middle is something the team will discuss this offseason.
    Honestly I have a hard time seeing the offensive-minded Linehan sticking his nose so far into the defense's business that he'd force Haslett to make a personnel shift that he's not inclined to make, but I guess anything's possible.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: PFW: Witherspoon not a lock at MLB?

I agree I doubt that. Also, if Linehan wants to get bigger why would he moved Witherspoon where he's undersized at MLB to Strongside Linebacker where he'd be even more undersized. I won't believe it until Haslett says it.
    RamsFan16

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Linehan the offensive mind shouldnt be getting involved in personel decisions on defense.

However i like the thought that Linehan the Head Coach is thinking of ways to improve the run defense. The article isnt saying Linehan is overrulling Haslett's decision, just that they are going to discuss the best strategy. I think the availability of players at certain positions in FA and the draft will be one of the major talking points when making this decision

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Linehan the offensive mind shouldnt be getting involved in personel decisions on defense.
    Sorry, but I must disagree. IMO Linehan needs to be involved in all facets of the Rams team. I'm not saying he should be jamming his staff with his ideas or thoughts, but you know what that's his prerogative. His imput/handle has to be there afterall he's the one that will have to answer to the higher ups.
    Not to mention answering to the CLAN!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Sorry, but I must disagree. IMO Linehan needs to be involved in all facets of the Rams team. I'm not saying he should be jamming his staff with his ideas or thoughts, but you know what that's his prerogative. His imput/handle has to be there afterall he's the one that will have to answer to the higher ups.
    Not to mention answering to the CLAN!

Maybe you should have read the whole of my post before commenting...