throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pickett leaves/Hawks after Curtis?

Pickett accepts Packers' offer
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Mar. 15 2006

The Rams didn't have a good feeling about keeping Ryan Pickett for a while. It
    turns that assessment of his potential return to St. Louis was well-founded.
    Pickett agreed to a free-agent contract Wednesday with the Green Bay Packers,
    ending his five-year tenure with the Rams.

So in three days' time, all three of the Rams' first-round picks in the 2001
    draft signed free-agent contracts elsewhere. On Monday, strong safety Adam
    Archuleta signed with Washington and defensive tackle Damione Lewis signed with
    Carolina.

Pickett's agent originally was seeking $4 million a year, but the market for
    Pickett wasn't as strong as anticipated. Reportedly, those demands were reduced
    to $3.75 million a year this week, although contract terms with the Packers
    weren't immediately available. Buffalo also was interested in Pickett.

Pickett, 26, is coming off a career year in St. Louis, finishing with 115
    tackles, 12 tackles for loss, two sacks, and one forced fumble. Originally
    selected No. 29 overall with a pick acquired in the Kevin Carter trade with
    Tennessee, Pickett was a full-time starter for the Rams the past four seasons.

The new Rams coaching staff regarded Pickett as one of the better nose tackles
    in the league. Team management wanted him to return to St. Louis as well, but
    not enough to go higher than a five-year, $16 million offer that was on the
    table for some time before Pickett eventually landed in Green Bay. The feeling
    at Rams Park was that Pickett was good - but not that good - to spend more than
    the $3.2 million a year they had offered.

In fact, Tuesday's signing of New Orleans cornerback Fakhir Brown to a
    five-year, $12 million contract probably was an indication of the Rams'
    beginning to shift money reserved for Pickett elsewhere.

The team also might use some of that money to sign a backup quarterback (Gus
    Frerotte) and-or a punter (Jason Baker). Frerotte, who played for Rams coach
    Scott Linehan last season in Miami and in 2003 and '04 in Minnesota, was
    released Tuesday by the Dolphins following their trade for Daunte Culpepper.

The Rams held discussions with Frerotte's agent Wednesday, but Frerotte could
    end up in Denver or re-sign with Miami. Linehan left Rams Park on Wednesday for
    Florida, where he plans to attend Florida State's pro day. Frerotte is believed
    to be in Florida, so it's very possible that Linehan and Frerotte could hook up
    in the Sunshine State.

Baker, the free-agent punter from Carolina, could be making a visit to St.
    Louis next week. He has spoken with Rams special teams coach Bob Ligashesky
    more than once in recent days.

With rumors circulating that there may be a late bid by another team, possibly
    Seattle, for wide receiver Kevin Curtis - a restricted free agent - the Rams
    might be holding some money back. Just in case.

Meanwhile, quarterback Jamie Martin completed his free-agent visit in
    Cincinnati on Wednesday without a contract offer from the Bengals. The Bengals
    also are looking at former Arizona quarterback Josh McCown.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Pickett leaves/Hawks after Curtis?

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith

With rumors circulating that there may be a late bid by another team, possibly
    Seattle, for wide receiver Kevin Curtis - a restricted free agent - the Rams
    might be holding some money back. Just in case.

Meanwhile, quarterback Jamie Martin completed his free-agent visit in
    Cincinnati on Wednesday without a contract offer from the Bengals. The Bengals
    also are looking at former Arizona quarterback Josh McCown.

We lose Curtis, and it totally annihilates the reason to bring back Bruce and make sure we have an excellent 3rd receiver. What an idiotic thing to do if it happens, I'm happy it says "rumor"

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I suppose it does make sense for the Hawks to consider this. Sure, Curtis has got a 1st round tender, but the Hawks choose second from the bottom of the round anyway. Even if they match the Vikings on Hutch, they've still got a lot of cap space left, and they seem to delight in taking players from the Rams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    We lose Curtis, and it totally annihilates the reason to bring back Bruce and make sure we have an excellent 3rd receiver.
    That makes no sense at all.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

nice post my friend , I'm sorry to see the big guy go what a D line we might have had with him but their is time ...i like Kennedy I think under the new staff and attitude at Rams park we just might see him come up to the plate and do well ??? Curtis on the other hand is young and is one of the fastest players we have and is a great back up for Bruuuuuuce I would hate to see him go...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

its all rumors people, i see curtis coming back to the rams and him hacving a great season

RamsFan16 Guest

Owell we could draft Chad Jackson, Sinorice Moss or Santonio Holmes with that pick. I'm not worried about it. I'd rather take a 1st Round pick than a 29yr old reciever who wouldn't get a chance to shine and ruin his career.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Owell we could draft Chad Jackson, Sinorice Moss or Santonio Holmes with that pick. I'm not worried about it. I'd rather take a 1st Round pick than a 29yr old reciever who wouldn't get a chance to shine and ruin his career.
    lmao, they just keep getting better and better.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    lmao, they just keep getting better and better.
    What? Right here Curtis would play the 3rd WR spot. In Seattle he has a good chance of being the #1 or #2 WR. Now we all know Curtis is great. Although for his sake I'd like him to move on to where he could start. He could have a great career ahead of him but when Isaac Bruce's contract is up he will be 32. Almost the same age as Bruce right now. And plus we could just draft another young WR. Curtis neds to go somewhere when his ability to shine can be shown.

Rambos is offline Registered User

[QUOTEAlthough for his sake I'd like him to move on to where he could start][/QUOTE]

Your kidding right.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Although for his sake I'd like him to move on to where he could start.
    WHAT? No, for the Rams sake we want him here. Anything can happen, injuries could take Holt or Bruce down and then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    WHAT? No, for the Rams sake we want him here. Anything can happen, injuries could take Holt or Bruce down and then what?
    yes I know for the Rams sake keep him. BUt if the Rams really wanted Curtis they wouldn't have signed Bruce again.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

First of all, Bruce's signing has nothing to do with what Curtis was tendered. How do I know this? Because at the time Curtis was tendered, the Rams didn't know whether Bruce would be re-signed.

As a general statement, if the Rams lost Curtis but gained a first round draft choice, I wouldn't be that upset. I think Curtis is a very good player but, best case scenario, he's going to give the Rams 3-4 years of top quality play before he starts losing a step. If the Rams could get a #1 for him, that would be a decent trade-off.

All that said, I don't want him going to Seattle. Not only would that potentially strengthen the Rams' chief rival, but it would mean that the draft choice obtained would be the second to last pick in the first round.

My guess is that the Seahawks won't offer Curtis a deal that the Rams will be unable or unwilling to match. Perhaps Seattle knows that, and will offer Curtis a contract just to force the Rams to spend more to retain him.

Whatever bad things can be said about the Hawks, they seem to be pretty cap savvy in Seattle.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    First of all, Bruce's signing has nothing to do with what Curtis was tendered. How do I know this? Because at the time Curtis was tendered, the Rams didn't know whether Bruce would be re-signed.

As a general statement, if the Rams lost Curtis but gained a first round draft choice, I wouldn't be that upset. I think Curtis is a very good player but, best case scenario, he's going to give the Rams 3-4 years of top quality play before he starts losing a step. If the Rams could get a #1 for him, that would be a decent trade-off.

All that said, I don't want him going to Seattle. Not only would that potentially strengthen the Rams' chief rival, but it would mean that the draft choice obtained would be the second to last pick in the first round.

My guess is that the Seahawks won't offer Curtis a deal that the Rams will be unable or unwilling to match. Perhaps Seattle knows that, and will offer Curtis a contract just to force the Rams to spend more to retain him.

Whatever bad things can be said about the Hawks, they seem to be pretty cap savvy in Seattle.
    Thats what I think ... We should just let the Seahawks get him and then we get there First Round pick.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Thats what I think ... We should just let the Seahawks get him and then we get there First Round pick.
    LOL

Shouldn't you be at school during this time of day?

ForEveryRamThatEarnsRegard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast