Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    :l


    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Listen to znrd, he is frequently and commonly the voice of reason.
    Well, I don't know about that.

    Personally, I don't think anyone has made a strong case one way or the other regarding a player who is over a season removed from the roster.

    While I will agree that one game does not make a case it does speak volumes. The Rams rush defense had been an underlying weakness dating back over a season prior to that game.

    You've got to give atlanta credit. They dissected that weakness, as teams often do come playoff time, and they flat out exploited it while giving the Rams a severe spanking.

    No matter how you break it down, Pickett was a part of that weakness. Yes there were cut-back runs many of which were to pickett's side. And before I move on - Tino is not in the same league as Little as far individual positional play IMO.


    I think this whole argument is muddled. It uses tackle stats in an attempt to prove that a plugger (run stuffer) is better than average. Not really a good choice IMO. We all know the dam had holes. Film study, as z.nerd mentioned, would be the best choice. In regards to film study, I specifically remember the new coaching staff stating, when they took over after the 05 season, that they would be looking at plenty of film on every player . Apparently pickett did not stand out enough on film to guarantee his roster spot.

    As we all know, Pickett's job was to tie up lineman to free up others to make tackles. Preferably he would stuff the line enough to keep the rushing game in check. We all know that was not the case. He got moved around often and holes were often glaring and tackles were frequently made well past the line of scrimage.

    As has been stated, his job was not to get sacks. However, he is supposed to collapse the pocket so others can get the glory. Sometimes he was effective, but not near enough IMO. Now, if his job is to not only tie up lineman, but also to get tackles then he was nothing special with that either IMO. That is why I think the tackle stat is a poor choice to prove a case for him.

    I generally like to break stats down further than face value, if possible.

    Pickett's career numbers through the 06 season are not near awe inspiring.


    Career Games - 91

    Avg. Solo Tackles Per Game - 2.3 (3.1 pg was his best season - less than 1 per quarter)

    Avg. Stuffs Per Game - 0.3 (he has stuffed the runner every third game of his career)

    Forced Fumbles - 1 in his entire career

    Avg. Assits Per Game - 1


    Pickett is gone.

    End of story.


    LETS GO RAMS


    :l


  2. #62
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,340
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    In regards to film study, I specifically remember the new coaching staff stating, when they took over after the 05 season, that they would be looking at plenty of film on every player . Apparently pickett did not stand out enough on film to guarantee his roster spot.
    Again though, go back to the March '06 Wagoner article I posted a link to. In regards to Pickett, Linehan is quoted as saying, "I'm pretty high on that particular player, so if there was anything we could do to get him back, I would certainly entertain the idea."

    So it sounds as if Scott liked what he saw, and the Rams obviously wanted to retain Pickett based on the fact that they made him a contract offer. The fact that they chose not to match the offer of Green Bay sounds like much more of a front office decision than a coaching decision.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  3. #63
    z.nrd Guest

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Again though, go back to the March '06 Wagoner article I posted a link to. In regards to Pickett, Linehan is quoted as saying, "I'm pretty high on that particular player, so if there was anything we could do to get him back, I would certainly entertain the idea."

    So it sounds as if Scott liked what he saw, and the Rams obviously wanted to retain Pickett based on the fact that they made him a contract offer. The fact that they chose not to match the offer of Green Bay sounds like much more of a front office decision than a coaching decision.
    That's how it struck me at the time.

    Much earlier, during the 2005 season, the F.O. let it be known that they thought 4 million a year was too much for Pickett.

  4. #64
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    :l

    "I'm pretty high on that particular player, so if there was anything we could do to get him back, I would certainly entertain the idea."
    Yes he said this before the Rams had a final chance to match the offer. Apparently he and most likely the FO entertained the idea and decided not to match. Odd how he does not even call him by name. Only refers to him as "that particular player" not Ryan or Big Grease - just - "that particular player". I doubt a new, first time, NFL head coach is going to openly bash a team veteran in public during contract negotiations. That could be political suicide. Also, nothing is mentioned about what Haslett thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So it sounds as if Scott liked what he saw, and the Rams obviously wanted to retain Pickett based on the fact that they made him a contract offer. The fact that they chose not to match the offer of Green Bay sounds like much more of a front office decision than a coaching decision.
    Well, we can certainly speculate all we want. But, as I've said, I'm not sure why. He is gone and he is not coming back. Was it a mistake? Perhaps, but the fact remains he is gone. This argument revolved around tackle stats in the beginning. The tackle stats are nothing great when you break them down into per game averages. And we all know the rushing game was not held in check. The debate is now muddled with stats that do not really prove anything and speculation. All for a player that is over a season removed from the roster.


    LETS GO RAMS


    :l

  5. #65
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Sorry I fell a sleep on my keyboard reading this article. I had a dream that Pickett is now 50 years old and coaching the Rams. He just had one of the worse rush defenses in all the NFL. He decided to clean house with his DT's and start a new. He drafts a first round DT and then two more to go along with a fromer Probowl DT that is on the down side of his career to show them the ropes. By getting rid of those DT's costing 4 mil a year he was able to free up some money to improve other week spots as well. Pickett was once an outstanding DT who not only stuffed the run every single time but for a loss. He wound up leading Greenbay to four consecutive Superbowl titles and in those four years he was NFL defensive player of the year as well as Superbowl MVP. He made all types of money with GeneralCounsel as his agent providing the stats He was even inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. It was a great dream I wish you all could have been there.

    Okay now that I am back to reality I realize Pickett has no part on our team and if I want to continuously discuss Pickett. I might as well go to the Packers site and continue talking there as I will find them much more receptive of discussing a current player on their team.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-22-2007 at 08:58 PM.

  6. #66
    z.nrd Guest

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Sorry I fell a sleep on my keyboard reading this article. I had a dream that Pickett is now 50 years old and coaching the Rams. He just had one of the worse rush defenses in all the NFL. He decided to clean house with his DT's and start a new. He drafts a first round DT and then two more to go along with a fromer Probowl DT that is on the down side of his career to show them the ropes. By getting rid of those DT's costing 4 mil a year he was able to free up some money to improve other week spots as well. Pickett was once an outstanding DT who not only stuffed the run every single time but for a loss. He wound up leading Greenbay to four consecutive Superbowl titles and in those four years he was NFL defensive player of the year as well as Superbowl MVP. He made all types of money with GeneralCounsel as his agent providing the stats He was even inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame. It was a great dream I wish you all could have been there.

    Okay now that I am back to reality I realize Pickett has no part on our team and if I want to continuously discuss Pickett. I might as well go to the Packers site and continue talking there as I will find them much more receptive of discussing a current player on their team.
    \

    ???

    You just DID discuss it.

    Saying "don't discuss it" is discussing it.

    Topics that don't interest anyone really do die of their own accord. Topics that interest people remain active. This one is active. I don't see the point in complaining about that.

    Actually more energy is coming from people saying "why talk about it's over" than from people saying "it was a mistake to not sign him."

    Nothing is ever over if people really are interested in talking about it. That's just human nature.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -06-22-2007 at 10:26 PM.

  7. #67
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    \

    ???

    You just DID discuss it.

    Saying "don't discuss it" is discussing it.
    If you are going to quote me then quote me correctly in the post you are responding to show me where I said the EXACT WORDS you put in quotes. I never said don't discuss it. In fact I wrote this jokingly and if you can not get that then I am sorry for you. What I did say was that if I was still interested in talking about Pickett I should go to Greenbays website and they would be more receptive. As almost half the people in this thread have said they are not interested in people that keep bringing up Pickett being a mistake. That is not saying they are not willing to allow people to express themselves. While the rest of us are wishing we could talk about the existing Rams. This issue has been brought up a lot about Pickett being a mistake and normally its the same people that don't let it drop. Now is this a good thread because we are all debating football issues or is it a totally derailed thread because everyone is arguing over the right to talk about how big of a mistake it was letting Pickett go. They want to talk about the right today, yesterday, the day before, tommorrow, the day after tommorrow, and until the end of time. So if this is what constitutes a good thread in your opinion then okay. Its your opinion. Just like its others right to post here. I may make a comment jokingly about how boring this is becoming when I see a thread in the Rams Forum talking about a non Ram and all it is about is to try to prove what a mistake the FO made in letting him go. Only this topic has been hashed and rehashed over and over again. So feel free to post but don't miss quote me when I am joking about the derailment of this thread.

    Topics that don't interest anyone really do die of their own accord. Topics that interest people remain active. This one is active. I don't see the point in complaining about that.

    Actually more energy is coming from people saying "why talk about it's over" than from people saying "it was a mistake to not sign him."

    Nothing is ever over if people really are interested in talking about it. That's just human nature.
    Half the talk in this forum has been about how we are tired of hearing it and letting it go. I have heard Nick, Ferter, RamsBruce, myself, and others say its over its done with and none of us ever said a thing about being better last year without Pickett. I would argue the ones that are seeing this as getting old and brought up in threads that have nothing to do with Pickett are the ones providing Stats and evidence to try to get the other side to drop their insistance on bringing the issue up over and over again. Its like a bully if you just keep ignoring him, he keeps up with his antics and gets more and more animated attempting to get a response out of you. You have to at some point stand up voice your displeasure and let them know you are tired of it. Its the same thing here when people hear the same thing about Pickett in several threads for over a year they get tired of it. So they let the person know who keeps putting the crap out there about how they feel. They are entitled to say how they feel like you are entitled to say how you feel.

    Next time you quote me put my words inside the quotes.
    have a nice day.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-22-2007 at 11:35 PM.

  8. #68
    z.nrd Guest

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    That's a pretty long response over something so simple. That's okay, I didn't read it. I skipped to the end. I never directly quoted you. As anyone with half a brain who read your post then mine would realize. When I wrote "don't discuss it" that was just my own paraphranse of your much longer version, where you recommended we go to a Packer site just because you don't want us to discuss something you're still discussing.

    My own rule is simple. When a topic doesn't interest me, I don't say anything, and move on to something that does interest me. I don't hang around telling folks the who are posting on that topic whether or not THEY should be interested in it. Simple rule. Works well. Minimizes tension.

  9. #69
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    That's a pretty long response over something so simple. That's okay, I didn't read it. I skipped to the end. I never directly quoted you. As anyone with half a brain who read your post then mine would realize. When I wrote "don't discuss it" that was just my own paraphranse of your much longer version, where you recommended we go to a Packer site just because you don't want us to discuss something you're still discussing.

    My own rule is simple. When a topic doesn't interest me, I don't say anything, and move on to something that does interest me. I don't hang around telling folks the who are posting on that topic whether or not THEY should be interested in it. Simple rule. Works well. Minimizes tension.
    Well first off, most of us are checking this post and other many paged posts because we are bored and hoping to find some interesting reading or discussions. I personally check anything you've been posting on to see how long it takes you to blame Zymunt for something.

  10. #70
    z.nrd Guest

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Well first off, most of us are checking this post and other many paged posts because we are bored and hoping to find some interesting reading or discussions. I personally check anything you've been posting on to see how long it takes you to blame Zymunt for something.
    Oh good, some more "never criticize Zygmunt" police.

    What is it about a boy in a suit that turns so many heads these days?

  11. #71
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Thumbs up Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    I never directly quoted you. As anyone with half a brain who read your post then mine would realize.
    The following is your exact words as to what you told others I said.

    "You just DID discuss it.
    Saying "don't discuss it" is discussing it."(z.nrd)

    I NEVER SAID DON'T DISCUSS IT AND ANYONE READING YOUR RESPONSE ONLY WOULD BELIEVE I SAID THE WORDS YOU PUT INTO QUOTES.

    Like I said I was joking and obviously you are unable to comprehend. I never said, "don't discuss it" and when you say I did and even put in quotes it makes others reading your post believe I said that. If you are going to put quotes around something after saying someone said it that is implying they said it and in this case I DID NOT.

    You already admitted to reading another post wrong in this thread maybe you should spend more time reading and quoting accurately instead of twisting around someone’s words and saying they said, "don't discuss it". Because if you are doing that maybe you should look in the mirror and analyze whose the one with half a brain.


    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd
    As anyone with half a brain who read your post then mine would realize.
    Thats the point they would have to read both to find out you are lying about what I said and what you put into quotes was mis-quoted.

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd
    you recommended we go to a Packer site just because you don't want us to discuss something you're still discussing.
    Again I never recommended you go there I said if I wanted to continually talk about Pickett I would go to the Packers site to talk about him. The reason being he is a current Packer and they would be more interested about how good he is then most of the fans on this forum. Like I said before I wrote my response jokingly about how funny it is that with all the change that have happened some people continue to talk about Pickett who is gone.

    I believe using the automatic quoting feature would reduce your spew of misinformation. Instead of telling people what they said or recommended in you own words and not theirs.

    I believe the reason you miss read these posts is because you are twisting and turning them into what you want to get out of it.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-23-2007 at 11:13 AM.

  12. #72
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,146
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    Oh good, some more "never criticize Zygmunt" police.

    What is it about a boy in a suit that turns so many heads these days?
    I could care less one way or the if JZ gets canned or not. It's just hilarious how nearly every thread you post in finds a way to blame hime for something.

    I can just see it...z.nrd sitting at a Rams game eating a hotdog....he takes his first bite...the bun is stale and the weiner is cold...with a look of outrage and hatred on his face he stands up and screams, "DAAAAAAAAAAMN YOUUUUUUUUU ZYGMUUUUUUUUNNNNTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

  13. #73
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,340
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Just a general notice based on some of the things in previous responses. If this discussion cannot continue without the unnecessary personal comments, then the thread will be closed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  14. #74
    z.nrd Guest

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I could care less one way or the if JZ gets canned or not. It's just hilarious how nearly every thread you post in finds a way to blame
    I am in dozens of threads here going back to when I started (and that's just on THIS board). Only a JZ police type would hallucinate JZ references in "nearly every thread." You must care more than you say about JZ criticism to over-react like that.

    And Nick's right. This isn't supposed to be about posters. If you want, start a z.nrd thread and have at it, but, rest of us was discussing the Rams here. Me too. Speaking of which...I suppose I should take my own and Nick's advice and stick to the Rams, in spite of any future baiting that might occur.

  15. #75
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: pickett only had one good year......

    Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd View Post
    I am in dozens of threads here going back to when I started (and that's just on THIS board). Only a JZ police type would hallucinate JZ references in "nearly every thread." You must care more than you say about JZ criticism to over-react like that.

    And Nick's right. This isn't supposed to be about posters. If you want, start a z.nrd thread and have at it, but, rest of us was discussing the Rams here. Me too. Speaking of which...I suppose I should take my own and Nick's advice and stick to the Rams, in spite of any future baiting that might occur.
    Nick I say shut this garbage off now. If certain people could not hide behind their computer then they may talk differently. This thread has gone no where and is going no where. You have people that are missquoting what people said and then saying other people have half a brain if they don't understand that what was quoted about the other person is not truly what they said. Some people are miss quoting and lying. I think you should shut it down. I would like to see certain people in real life talk this way to someone in person.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -06-23-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. The Quote Sheet - Wednesday
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-02-2006, 09:03 AM
  2. St. Louis Rams All Time Awards
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-07-2006, 12:49 PM
  3. Coaches Media Luncheon Quotes
    By RamsFan16 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
  4. Rams All-time Honors And Dates
    By OldRamsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: -11-20-2005, 01:28 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-11-2004, 08:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •