general counsel is offline Registered User

pickett wants $4 million per year

I just read that according to the post dispatch, picketts agent wants $4 million per year and that the rams have been talking contract with him. Its tough to evaluate that number without knowing what he wants bonus wise. Can someone give us some perspective on what the highest paid defensive tackles make, both upfront and annually.

My gut tells me that he is worth $4 million per year of cap space, if the analysis is as simple as that. Again, as per my prior posts, if we let him go, we need to replace him and i dont see how we are going to get comporable production for less money especially since i think that he is still improving. Furthermore, without him, our defensive line would look like the scene in the ten commandments where the red sea parts. Kind of looks like that at times now anyway, although i agree that we seem to have more problem with overpursuit than runs right up the gut these days.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: pickett wants $4 million per year

Pay the man.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Pay him and let Dlew an Arch walk.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

agree...there are few keepers on this defense, but he is one of them.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Sign him we need him on the line.

So TX, you want to ditch Arch? Not sure why, with the secondary hurting like it is we need all the help we can get.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's all according to how much dinero Arch wants. If he expects to double his income, walking papers from the Rams should be presented. If his agent comes to the Rams with a reasonable raise, then maybe.

However, I keep going back to last year. The Rams were playing the Jets. Playoff spot on the line. Jets are almost ready to score. Pennington drops back and literally hits Arch in the hands with a pass on the goal line. Dropsey.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    It's all according to how much dinero Arch wants. If he expects to double his income, walking papers from the Rams should be presented. If his agent comes to the Rams with a reasonable raise, then maybe.

However, I keep going back to last year. The Rams were playing the Jets. Playoff spot on the line. Jets are almost ready to score. Pennington drops back and literally hits Arch in the hands with a pass on the goal line. Dropsey.
    Somebody will overpay for him. The same could be true of Pickett.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

denverram is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: pickett wants $4 million per year

Just Remember the Seahawks seem to be doing pretty well overpaying our DLine guys.

When is this season going to be over?

general counsel is offline Registered User

i disagree on the seahawks as to fisher. wistrom was a terrible overpay and i dont think he has helped them much. fisher was a real bargain, i believe he has 8 sacks.

As for arch, i agree 100%, totally a function of price.

As for pickett, i dont know about "overpaying" for him. i think he on the verge of being an elite defensive tackle and those guys are worth a fortune. I want to lock him up now because i fear that the longer we wait, the more the price will go up. I think he is much better than corey simon at this point and look at the deal simon got. At this point, i think the only guy i would rather have for sure than pickett is dan hampton and then only if he is in the same shape he was in 1985. If pickett gets any better at all, and i dont see any reason to suggest that he wont if healthy, he is going to be an all pro for sure. This a position at which you HAVE to pay for value. Its very very tough to draft a stud defensive tackle since no matter how talented, it almost always takes a couple of years for them to develop.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i totally agree with you guys, we need to pay pickett and the sooner the better, as for arch i also agree, if hesw reasonable price wise, keep him.