Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By C-Mob 71

Thread: Picture Perfect Night Brings Out Record Crowd

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Picture Perfect Night Brings Out Record Crowd

Posted by Nick Wagoner on July 28, 2013 – 1:10 AM

- There was plenty of action on the practice fields at Rams Park on Saturday night and we’ll get to all of that in a minute but the real show stealer of the evening was a picture perfect evening which brought out a record crowd.

- With temperatures hovering in the mid-70s under a blue and sunny sky, fans looking for a chance to see their Rams up close couldn’t have asked for much more. And they responded in kind with a crowd that reached 2,088 people. That’s one of the highest turnouts for an on-site practice in the history of the franchise in St. Louis.

“I’ve been told it’s one of the biggest in years, which is great,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s a great combination because we got a Saturday evening, we’ve got great weather and our baseball team is on the road so it’s a great opportunity.”

- Fisher was asked if the turnout is any indication of the building buzz around the team.

“Yeah, that’s what we’ve been hearing which is great,” Fisher said. “They were here early and we encouraged them to come back. They got to see some big plays today, a couple plays down the field, which is good.”

- More on those big plays in a moment but a bit more on the weather. Following a 2012 camp which was brutally hot from day one, this year’s camp has offered a respite in the early going. If forecasts for next week are accurate, the Rams will have temperatures in the upper 70s with nothing higher than 84 through Thursday of next week.

- While that weather is a plus for the players now, it’s not the best in terms of conditioning. Of course, as Fisher points out, it’s highly unlikely the unseasonable cool temperatures will continue.

“Really it’s ideal from an acclimation standpoint and them getting used to everything,” Fisher said. “But we’ll have some (hot) weather ahead of us. That’s good. It contributes to the conditioning level. It’s always good to put them in a position to where they have got to focus and concentrate in the second part of practice when the temperature is up. I’m sure it’s around the corner.”

- On the injury front, the Rams had the same group of players sitting again today except for TE Philip Lutzenkirchen who returned to action and made a couple of nice catches during team drills. OL Barrett Jones, TE Lance Kendricks, S Matt Daniels, DT Jermelle Cudjo, DE Sammy Brown and T Braden Brown did not participate Saturday night.

- On the field, it was another strong outing for the defense which appears to have taken the first day production of the offense as a challenge and responded. After a one on one session plagued by defensive holding and pass interference, the defense got to work in seven on seven and especially in team drills.

- S Rodney McLeod had a pair of interceptions in team drills while working with the second team defense, including one on a tipped pass by DB Quinton Pointer, who continues to show up in the early proceedings.

- Rookie CB Brandon McGee, who has impressed early with his physical approach and jamming technique work stepped in front of a pass intended for Stedman Bailey for an interception as well.

- The defensive line continues to get regular pressure on all unit but especially the first group. That’s a quartet that figures to be difficult to block in 2013, perhaps even more difficult than it was last year when it helped the Rams lead the league in sacks.

- CB Janoris Jenkins and WR Chris Givens are close friends but they have not hesitated to get after each other when matched up. That pairing is one of the most fun to watch in the opening days of camp with each side coming up about even in individual victories.

- The offense didn’t go without its share of successes, either. After two strong days that earned him praise from Fisher, rookie S T.J. McDonald got brought back a little by the walking mismatch that is TE Jared Cook during the one-on-one drills. Cook makes it look so easy and has clearly emerged as a favorite of QB Sam Bradford.

- Bradford connected on a couple of deep balls, including a perfect strike down the right sideline to Austin Pettis during 2-minute drills. The play would have gone for about a 55-yard touchdown catch as Pettis got behind Trumaine Johnson. WR Brian Quick also got loose for a long ball that would have been a score.

- You can easily tell who has the local support during practice as rookie WR Andrew Helmick (Lindenwood) had his own cheering section making noise anytime he touched the ball Saturday night. He continues to put together solid practices. WR Nick Johnson should also garner some credit for his early work and he’s doing it mostly against the second-team defense.

- The first team offense had a new face in action at times on Saturday night in the form of FB Eric Stevens, an undrafted free agent out of Cal. The Rams worked on some two-back stuff, which we haven’t seen much of during this camp. Normally, that role would likely be filled by Kendricks but with him nursing an injury, Stevens is getting a few snaps to work with the first group.

- The Rams will have a full on special teams practice tomorrow (the session is CLOSED to the public) but P Johnny Hekker put on a show of his own Saturday night. His leg is fresh right now and it shows as he’s kicking the ever-living stuffing out of the ball right now.

- DT Michael Brockers continues to impress and clog the middle. Fisher said he put on some weight, though it was mostly muscle weight in the offseason and Brockers has been stout early in camp. He had offseason ankle surgery back in the winter and is feeling not residual effects from the operation. Brockers said he feels good and is fired up to attack his second season fully healthy.

- The next time the Rams will have an open practice is Monday at 3:30 p.m. at Rams Park. That will also be the first fully padded, full squad practice of camp.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Picture Perfect Night Brings Out Record Crowd

“I’ve been told it’s one of the biggest in years, which is great,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “It’s a great combination because we got a Saturday evening, we’ve got great weather and our baseball team is on the road so it’s a great opportunity.”
    Interesting that even Fisher notes that local Rams fans would rather attend a Cardinals game than attend a Rams practice, indicating that the town still belongs to the baseball team. I wonder what it will take for the city of St. Louis to embrace this team.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Interesting that even Fisher notes that local Rams fans would rather attend a Cardinals game than attend a Rams practice, indicating that the town still belongs to the baseball team. I wonder what it will take for the city of St. Louis to embrace this team.
    Winning! How long has it been since fans could go to a home game and "expect" to win? Been a while I'd say.

Truck is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure he is noting that there are like 40k people that won't be attending a cardinals game in the area, so it allows them to do something else, like come to practice.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

DT Michael Brockers continues to impress and clog the middle. Fisher said he put on some weight, though it was mostly muscle weight in the offseason and Brockers has been stout early in camp.
    Without a doubt, a star in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Winning! How long has it been since fans could go to a home game and "expect" to win? Been a while I'd say.
    So, what you're saying is that the local Rams fans will ride the bandwagon as long as they're winning. But when they've had a decade of losing and poor management, fans will go elsewhere? Hmmm, sounds a lot like the problems witnessed in Los Angeles back in the late '80's and early '90's. Guess that characteristic isn't solely an "LA" thing...

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Without a doubt, a star in the making.
    I'm so excited to watch this team this year. The D line will be one of the top 3 in the league, I believe. As long as they stay healthy. I'm still concerned about the LB's and safety position though. I still think that's the Rams weak spot on D. A lot of youth, will result in a lot of missed assignments and big plays. I hope the kids do their homework and pick up things quickly. The offense will be a work in progress throughout the year. They should get better as they learn to work together and Sam gets comfortable with his new weapons. With the major injuries to the Hawks and Whiners receiving corps, things just got a little tighter.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

So, what you're saying is that the local Rams fans will ride the bandwagon as long as they're winning. But when they've had a decade of losing and poor management, fans will go elsewhere? Hmmm, sounds a lot like the problems witnessed in Los Angeles back in the late '80's and early '90's. Guess that characteristic isn't solely an "LA" thing...
    I think you have to acknowledge St. Louis is a baseball town and likely always will be. With the Busch family owning the Cardinals and the the company employing so many people in the area you have to concede the Rams will always be a notch below. I used to live in New York and no matter how often the Giants went on to in the Super Bowl , the Yankees own the town from sports perspective. It's just the nature of the beast, nothing against the Rams.

Go Rams!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Ummm, we're talking about practice. Practice! Vs an actual game. Talking 'bout practice competing with a actual game, that counts? Practice!? Granted those of us on this board would 100% prefer Rams practice to a baseball game, but those of us on this board are fanatics.

The St Louis Cardinals have the best record in baseball, are one of the best franchises in the the MLB, and lets face it, the Rams, while on the upswing, still have a long way to go before they can compete with one of the best franchises in all of SPORTS, not just baseball.

And we're talking about practice being able to compete with them? Practice?
    RamDez and RamsFanSam like this.

Yup! That's what I'm saying .. And I clearly remember the "Georgia Please Sell the Team" posters back in Anaheim too. That said, I am really excited with our current team's direction and talent - more so than in a very long time. I might even bet on a game or two this year.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm so excited to watch this team this year. The D line will be one of the top 3 in the league, I believe. As long as they stay healthy. I'm still concerned about the LB's and safety position though. I still think that's the Rams weak spot on D. A lot of youth, will result in a lot of missed assignments and big plays. I hope the kids do their homework and pick up things quickly. The offense will be a work in progress throughout the year. They should get better as they learn to work together and Sam gets comfortable with his new weapons. With the major injuries to the Hawks and Whiners receiving corps, things just got a little tighter.
    I'm excited as well. I get hyped up before every season starts, but this year feels different to me. It reminds me of how I felt when we picked up Faulk and Green before the 99 season.

As far as the defense, I'm confident with everything but the safety position. I think Ogletree is the real deal at LB, and am hoping for the best with McDonald at S.

I see the offense making major strides this year, with Bradford finally able to show what he can really do.

I'm ready.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Edit: moved to 2013 Roster thread.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-29-2013 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Moved to Roster thread

RealRam is offline Registered User

Edit: moved to 2013 Roster thread
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-29-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Moved to 2013 Roster thread

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Sounds like the same complaint from Blues fans over there years. Blues are in the playoffs, coming off a win all the hype is Cardinals spring training?

For some unknown reason, people in this town are just much more interested in baseball than the hard hitting and fast paced hockey and football, both which I love to equal degree for different reasons.

Baseball just is what it be in this city and we'll just have to keep enduring that goofy race to the metrolink for a non contact sport on Cardinals game days indefinitely because this is after all St. Louis