Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Pittman likes group in Rams backfield ...

I prefer to call him an "Quasi-Back" meaning that he can play multiple positions (There's a reson why se started at HB and currently plays fullback) and be effective from either one.
    I agree, but he is not playing HB, not catching passe these sdays. Just blocking Why?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree, but he is not playing HB, not catching passe these sdays. Just blocking Why?
    I'd attribute it to the fact that Bulger has no time to set his feet. They need as many blockers as they can get. And the last couple' weeks, he has been working as a lead blocker for our best player, just now returned from injury. If we are to continue winning, Jackson needs to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    I care that's a second round pick that we could have used on anything else. Leonard was intended to be the backup to Jackson but the signing/play if Pittman scratched that. There were a thousand linemen we could have had that could have proved very usefull about now. I don't like being in the habit of wasting picks early on project players. Jack of all trades, master of none.....
    Who would you have wasted it on then? Between our 2nd and 3rd round pick there is only 1 guy I would have rather taken than Leonard and he wasnt a lineman, I would rather have had Eric Wright cb out of UNLV. Leonard is still a contributar on offense I just think he doesnt have the same burst running the ball that Pittman has.
    Just Fix It

I'd attribute it to the fact that Bulger has no time to set his feet. They need as many blockers as they can get. And the last couple' weeks, he has been working as a lead blocker for our best player, just now returned from injury. If we are to continue winning, Jackson needs to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.
    Again why spend a second round pick on a small lead blocking FB? I have no issues with BL blocking for SJ and protecting our QB. My issue is with a fourth round pick can get cut, come in here late and take away reps from our second round pick.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I'd rather have "wasted" it on a defensive end like Crowder, Abiamiri, or Kalil, even Justin Durant. Take a tackle, we knew we needed more depth before we went into the draft, Ryan Harris was there. We could use anyone of those guys, and take a running back later.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    I'd rather have "wasted" it on a defensive end like Crowder, Abiamiri, or Kalil, even Justin Durant. Take a tackle, we knew we needed more depth before we went into the draft, Ryan Harris was there. We could use anyone of those guys, and take a running back later.
    Well Crowder has 8 total tackles and 3 of them are sacks not sure that wold have been anymore help than Leonard. Abiamiri has 1 total tackle all year not sure he would have been any better than Leonard either. Ryan Kalil has not played in one game this year, he would have for us but who knew we would take so many injuries on the o-line. Durant has 7 tackles and 1 arrest for resisting arrest, did we really need another LB and one that got arrested to boot? Ryan Harris while again we could have used him because of all the injuries he has yet to play in a single game. Now my choice and I said it when we drafted Leonard was Eric Wright he has 68 tackles,1 sack,8 passes defended and 1 interception. Now of all those guys Wright was an immediate contributor. So really the pick wasnt wasted at all, Leonard is contributing to this team and just like I've said before the draft is a crapshoot. The Aints drafted Pittman and now we have him. All the other guys you named are unknowns, they may all be busts how do we really know. Leonard wasnt a bust but he can still contribute from two offensive positions. There will be times where if Jax needs a rest and its not the right situation for Pittman Leonard will get the call and I'm ok with that. Leonard does have a 100 yd game under his belt. Leonard is just more of a tweener at rb. Not quite a fb and not quite a rb but still a contributor. Like I said I didnt like anyone taken between our 2nd and 3rd round pick besides Wright so I'm ok with taking Leonard where we got him. Remeber we didnt know the Aints were gonna release Pittman and we needed a backup rb which is what Leonard is. I think Pittman is more of an explosive runner but there will be times where Leonard will be better in certain situations.
    Just Fix It

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Again why spend a second round pick on a small lead blocking FB? I have no issues with BL blocking for SJ and protecting our QB. My issue is with a fourth round pick can get cut, come in here late and take away reps from our second round pick.
    I think you really have to consider circumstance, there. Pittman was a talented back coming out off a National Championship bid that fell just short in Ohio St. He was drafted to New Orleans to play behind both McAllister and Bush, who, as he said, make over 100 million between them. It was almost inevitable that he got cut, especially with Mike Karney in there to take reps when Decue and Reggie were rested.

Remember in the offseason we were looking for a backup runner, but also were looking for the type of back who could come in and play most every down at a variety of positions? It just so happens that we've filled both needs, and what's more impressive, Pittman has come out looking like a really strong runner, which allows Leonard to concentrate on his blocking and catching, because we sure as hell know he can run. We need all the blockers we can get right now, and when SJ needs a breather, his skills as a blocker take predominance over those as a runner because we have someone who can come in as a change of pace back and play effectively.

Put simply, you can't run if there's no blocking in front of you, and Leonard is helping the Rams succeed at doing so.

Another big reason why it's great to have him in there is threat preception, because as he is so multi-faceted, the defense can't key in one one particular aspect of his game. Even though he has been blocking the last few weeks, I'd guarantee there's still a man watching him on every down because not only can he block, he's also a threat to escape out of the backfield and catch a few passes, or to take it and slam it up the gut. It's all about keeping the defenders guessing, and his skills as a "Quasiback" add an element of deception to the Rams' offense, because you never can predict what role he'll be fulfilling when on the field.

keith m. klink Guest

HEY , when we drafted him , we needed him . still do . so be damn thankfull . just because we lucked out and swiped pittman before anyone else , doesn't mean leonard was wasted . pittman wasn't even a subject . you can't draft thinking someone will cut a player to fill your needs , that is totally idiotic . we got leonard in april , we got pittman in august or september ? you make no sense with a complaint like that . we have JAX , and two rookies , that are showing that they could be special as a three headed monster . so what was your complaint again . oh wasted pick , boulderdash i say .shinnanigans

you make no sense with a complaint like that . we have JAX , and two rookies , that are showing that they could be special as a three headed monster . s
    We spent a second round pick and replaced him with a 4th round pick. Do the math...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We spent a second round pick and replaced him with a 4th round pick. Do the math...
    C'mon man ... no one's been replaced! There is no math involved!! Leonard is our #1 FB .. He isn't even listed as a rb, but the fact that he can be one (witness the 100 yd game) just proves his versatility. When Leonard was drafted we didn't have much in the way of a backup for Jackson, so he had to try and fill that role too. Brian was picked because of his versatility which has been detailed in previous posts in this thread. As Bulger gains confidence in Leonard, he'll get more balls thrown his way, but with the O-Line issues we've been enduring Brian's not the only one not getting alot of touches -- read Randy McMichael, who is not getting many balls thrown his way either. Does he stink? Was he a "wasted" free agent pickup? No he has had to stay in and block too. One more thing that should be pointed out. I don't know how many plays Brian Leonard has been on the field this year, but I know that he has been a contributor from day 1 and has been on the field alot for a rookie in various roles. Another thing: isn't it a little early to label any of our rookies (a bust? Why don't we reserve our judgement until the end of next season before we attach labels good or bad, as after all they are rookes?

C'mon man ... no one's been replaced! There is no math involved!! Leonard is our #1 FB ..
    Yeah but we all know he is not a FB. he is too small, he was drafted to do a little of everything, including runing the ball. He proved he could do it an now he's not get touches.

Bulger gains confidence in Leonard, he'll get more balls thrown his way,
    He can't when Pittman is taking his reps.

Randy McMichael still is on the field,unlike BL.

isn't it a little early to label any of our rookies (a bust?
    I think you missed my point, BL is a stud far from a bust! I would just like too see him being used over a 4th round pick.

Its kinda like the Madison Hedgcock debate, why did we trade him.

I think BL is a better RB and all around football player then Pittman period. But if you are not going to use him and when you do its just to block why draft him in the second round.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-25-2007 at 12:40 AM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Well Crowder has 8 total tackles and 3 of them are sacks not sure that wold have been anymore help than Leonard.
    You defeat you're own argument with a statement like this. Crowder has 3 sacks in his first 8 games and how many sacks does our entire D-Line have this year? Also, how many sacks do our DEs have? If this is any indication of this kid's talent we really blew it by not drafting him when we could. Again this is not to disparage B. Leonard, but our defense is in dire need of SOMEBODY who can put on a pass rush. And with L. Little getting older and coming off surgery we had better find a pass rusher fast or our secondary is going to get smoked.

WHAT SAY YE?

RealRam is offline Registered User

'The Rams Jax Trio'. This is a fine jazz group with great potential and talent but just now beginning to gel.

I hope we can soon figure out the best way to utilize their strengths to yield optimal productivity, even if this is achieved by blocking, running screen plays, pass options -- what have you.

I agree with those that sustain Leonard is a stud, not a bust. He's a class player, willing to do whatever is necessary to help the team and must be itching for opportunities.

OTOH, Pittman may evolve more as the yard churner than BL, given the right blocking. But Leonard is probably a better receiver.

Jax is the main man of course. But his success relies so heavily on the crutches that our OL is playing with at present. This is why all this speculation of our RBs is so directly linked to how well (or how poorly) the Rams OL manages to work every game -- in itself hard to foresee when we don't even know which starters will be in there!

I'm very excited and thankful to have Jackson, Leonard and Pittman. ...Though I still wonder if Owens is ever going to make a difference as a full fledged FB. That would, IMO, really help all three of our RBs.
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-25-2007 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typing, typing!

Nice post RealRam thanks for the take..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Geez!

What has Pittman done to deserve so much attention?

Yes, he popped off a 43 yard run against the Saints, but apart from that he has 18 carries for 27 yards (that's a 1.5 ypc avg.). Heck, you could hand Andy McCollum the ball 18 times and he'd probably get you 27 yards!

I think Pittman might be a nice addition to the Rams' depth at RB, but I hardly see him as taking over Leonard's role at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast