Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Placing Blame Where Blame is Due

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Placing Blame Where Blame is Due

IMHO, we need to stop with the incessant blaming of the officials everytime we lose a ballgame. It's gotten tedious and old. Making legitimate, well-timed complaints about the officiating is fine. It's expected and makes people take pause and question things that need to be questioned. But bellyaching about every perceived missed call and attributing our failures to the referees makes one sound like a whiner and an excuse maker.

The officiating across the board this season has been poor. This is because of the many rule changes that have hastily come into play because of the league's safety mandate. I absolutely hate the fact that the defense can't play defense. Pass interference is arbitrary. You have an area the size of a Rubik's Cube in which you can hit the QB. But the notion that the refs "have it out for the Rams" more than the rest of the league is complete nonsense. Ask Cleveland yesterday. Ask Green Bay. Ask New England two weeks ago vs. Carolina. Ask Washington. Ask Baltimore. Pivotal calls go against every team in the league. And the league must absolutely examine how the games should be better officiated so that the game we know as "football" is actually being played.

Of much greater concern is the Rams on-field performance the past two weeks. Having no Bradford can excuse a lot, but it cannot excuse poor O-line play, putting no pressure on the QB, no running game, terrible secondary play, penalties and overall regression- all which were on display yesterday. THAT is the reason for losing- not officiating.

We are once again at the bottom of a vastly improved division. Once again, major question marks surround areas of our team. Once again we look forward to an off-season rather than a playoff berth. Once again, issues that we thought were behind us- penalties, poor tackling, regression- are rearing their ugly head. That isn't on the officials.
    thoey, live4ramin, laram0 and 6 others like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Placing Blame Where Blame is Due

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    IMHO, we need to stop with the incessant blaming of the officials everytime we lose a ballgame. It's gotten tedious and old. Making legitimate, well-timed complaints about the officiating is fine. It's expected and makes people take pause and question things that need to be questioned. But bellyaching about every perceived missed call and attributing our failures to the referees makes one sound like a whiner and an excuse maker.

The officiating across the board this season has been poor. This is because of the many rule changes that have hastily come into play because of the league's safety mandate. I absolutely hate the fact that the defense can't play defense. Pass interference is arbitrary. You have an area the size of a Rubik's Cube in which you can hit the QB. But the notion that the refs "have it out for the Rams" more than the rest of the league is complete nonsense. Ask Cleveland yesterday. Ask Green Bay. Ask New England two weeks ago vs. Carolina. Ask Washington. Ask Baltimore. Pivotal calls go against every team in the league. And the league must absolutely examine how the games should be better officiated so that the game we know as "football" is actually being played.

Of much greater concern is the Rams on-field performance the past two weeks. Having no Bradford can excuse a lot, but it cannot excuse poor O-line play, putting no pressure on the QB, no running game, terrible secondary play, penalties and overall regression- all which were on display yesterday. THAT is the reason for losing- not officiating.

We are once again at the bottom of a vastly improved division. Once again, major question marks surround areas of our team. Once again we look forward to an off-season rather than a playoff berth. Once again, issues that we thought were behind us- penalties, poor tackling, regression- are rearing their ugly head. That isn't on the officials.
    ***whistle blowing**** 15 yards for being realistic!!!!

MACD is offline Registered User

Could it be our run game was so dismal because Dahl came back in at RG while shuffling Saffold back to RT? I mean we've been carving defenses up with Saffold at guard up until yesterday.

Without the run game working, Clements is just awful.

shower beers is offline Registered User

But Bradford is injured. Just who am I to use as a scapegoat if I can't blame the refs?!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I agree.

If it is truly the refs, then you have 16 games to figure how to work around it or get through it. At the same time, you have to look at your coaching and game planning and see if maybe you're nor doing it right to begin with.
    live4ramin likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

macrammer is offline Registered User

NJ,

Spot on. I never have been a conspiracy theorist and while there are always questionable calls in each game in each week, the fact remains you win or lose based on your on field performance. Since Sam went down, I sensed this team was pulling together but yesterdays game was just awful. While we can only look to the draft and next year to garner some hope, that holds little solace for me as we suffer through yet another losing season.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    Could it be our run game was so dismal because Dahl came back in at RG while shuffling Saffold back to RT? I mean we've been carving defenses up with Saffold at guard up until yesterday.

That O-line changed from night and day when Dahl came back. We should've stuck with Saffold at guard and Barksdale at tackle since we pretty much ruined the O-line chemistry.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post

Playing Dahl and shuffling Saffold probably had a bit to do with it, but I think the Cards run D was the main reason. They are very good. It's not like playing the weak Bears run D, and it showed.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

This is your opinion, which stinks to me as much as mine stinks to you.

The difference between those teams and the RAMS is the RAMS have never (since moving to St. Louis) won a game because well timed penalties were called against their opponent. Sure, every team has bad calls made against them on occasions. For some team (cheatriots, 9ers) this is a very rare occasion, and in most of those cases there are 'make-up calls" the even it out. Any "make-up calls" in favor of the RAMS are EXTREMELY rare.

And for the record, I don't blame every loss on the officials. I will fully admit that the RAMS lost a game because they deserved to, but I will also note when the officials made it very difficult for them to overcome there self inflicted wounds.

Yesteday's game was one of those. The RAMS were overmatched and out played. They couldn't do much of anything right. But how much less pressure would they have put on themselves to play a perfect game if the officials didn't blow a 101 yard fumble return dead? That game would be totally different if an already great defense couldn't pin their ears back on a pretty bad offense in pass mode.

Some people piss and moan about players that cause a loss by playing less than perfect. I piss and moan about officials that play less than perfect. When the officials start calling make-up penalties that help the RAMS, to negate that bad penalties/non-calls, I'll point that out. Until then, they will be scrutinized.

gap

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

NJ, you have hit the nail on the head once again. It's not on the refs, it's on us. If we can't play disciplined football, then we need to find players who can. In-play penalties can be rationalized due our youth and inexperience, but we have way too many post-whistle or deadball penalties that complicate our play calling and execution, particularly with a back-up QB. While I was only able to see parts of the game yesterday on Red Zone, a stat flashed that the Rams had a league leading 92 penalties called on them this season. That is inexcusable and I suspect will be an issue that gets dealt with during the off-season and OTA's.

On the other side of the coin, you are right about the excessive # of flags being thrown this year. With our coach on the competition committee I would have thought there would have been better education taking place during the pre-season and practices throughout the year. As I posted on another thread yesterday, next season will be different because I believe our FO and coaching staff will be expected to make the playoffs. With that factor in place there will be little tolerance for mistakes and errors, so I fully expect things to change.

Yesterday sounds like a horror show in the 2nd half. While I felt no shame the week before in SF this was a poor showing, which can happen, it does to all teams. We just have to find ways to win those games and until we do, it's going to haunt us. I hope we can still win at least 2 of the next 3 if not all 3.

Go Rams!

diehard99 is offline Registered User

How could they have missed the cardinals te not possesing the ball at the goal line? There were no players blocking the refs veiw like in a goaline running play. Of coarse we didnt lose because of these bad calls but how about cleveland, do you think that bad call effected the outcome of the game? So , our defense forces a turnover, recovers a turnover, and we get penalized 90 yards for it. So maybe we are sore losers but is it really too much to ask to have way more consistant officiating in games. Their not even consistant from game to game. Some games certain teams cannot even glaze the qb head without a flag, but arizona had helmet to helmet contact with clemens in that late sack. Ill gaurrentee the best team ever assembled couldnt overcome one terrible call at the end of the game.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

A few things NJ. First of all, I don't see anyone blaming the officials for losses. On the contrary, for the most part, I see those well-timed complaints you mentioned. In the last few weeks, there have been three penalties that have been highlighted and discussed at any length. The Brockers sack on Josh McCown that was erroneously called a shot to the head, the phantom head shot called on Dunbar against Kaepernick, and of course the blown call on the Jenkins fumble recovery. That's pretty much it, and far from "bellyaching about every perceived missed call". IMO, with few exceptions, the penalty discussions have been reasonable.
    MauiRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    A few things NJ. First of all, I don't see anyone blaming the officials for losses. On the contrary, for the most part, I see those well-timed complaints you mentioned. In the last few weeks, there have been three penalties that have been highlighted and discussed at any length. The Brockers sack on Josh McCown that was erroneously called a shot to the head, the phantom head shot called on Dunbar against Kaepernick, and of course the blown call on the Jenkins fumble recovery. That's pretty much it, and far from "bellyaching about every perceived missed call". IMO, with few exceptions, the penalty discussions have been reasonable.
    It's not about blaming the officials for losses Mike, its about Placing Blame Where Blame is Due. Some here in the clan feel blame is due, but they don't want to make a case for who we should blame. Just don't blame the officiating. I just need someone to tell me who I need to blame since it's due.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    It's not about blaming the officials for losses Mike, its about Placing Blame Where Blame is Due. Some here in the clan feel blame is due, but they don't want to make a case for who we should blame. Just don't blame the officiating. I just need someone to tell me who I need to blame since it's due.
    My blame is overdue and I currently owe $27.53 in fees.
    MoonJoe and Rambos like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Just don't blame the officiating.
    That's my point, I don't think anyone is blaming the officiating per se, just calling them out when they make a blatantly horrible call, which seems to happen at least once a game.

I just need someone to tell me who I need to blame since it's due.
    Blame me if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast