Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Placing Blame Where Blame is Due

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Re: Placing Blame Where Blame is Due

Referees are human too, unfortunately. They're subject to making mistakes just like everyone else. I pose this, because officials want to always get it right, and when they don't, they are heavily scrutinized for not doing so, resulting in them second guessing themselves and screwing up even more in the future. Again, they're human too.

Take for example the recent Tom Brady (who else?) scrape with the refs after the Carolina game where he was whining and yelling at the refs over a no call that didn't go his way. Just google: nfl official explains call. You'll see why it created such a stink.

Flash forward to yesterday with the Patriots vs Browns game. Same scenario, the Patriots are trying to comeback in the waning moments of the game. The Browns are wrongfully called for pass interference when the Browns defender just made a great play in breaking up the pass in the endzone. Was, "oh gee, I better get this right or I'll be the scourge of the NFL for pissing off the great Tom Brady" playing in the back of the refs mind? Did that cause him to see pass interference on a fast, close contact play? We'll never know.

I do know one thing, In the 40 years of being an NFL fan, I can't ever remember seeing such poor officiating across the NFL as I've seen so far this season, not in just Rams games. IMO, I believe it may be a symptom of unintended consequences from relying too much on video review. It may be too much pressure for these referees to always get it right, again, resulting in them second guessing themselves. That, and the ridiculous rules they now have to enforce in the game in the name of protecting players. It's a scientific fact of physics, that, you can not stop in mid-air and change direction when a player decides to duck his head resulting in head-to-head contact. It's an incredibly fast, rough contact sport, with bigger, stronger players. AFAIK, injuries and concussions are not going down, all the while these complex rules are starting to spoil the game for the fans.

Sorry for the bloviation.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -12-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    A few things NJ. First of all, I don't see anyone blaming the officials for losses. On the contrary, for the most part, I see those well-timed complaints you mentioned. In the last few weeks, there have been three penalties that have been highlighted and discussed at any length. The Brockers sack on Josh McCown that was erroneously called a shot to the head, the phantom head shot called on Dunbar against Kaepernick, and of course the blown call on the Jenkins fumble recovery. That's pretty much it, and far from "bellyaching about every perceived missed call". IMO, with few exceptions, the penalty discussions have been reasonable.

I didn't have you in mind, Mike, when I posted. I DID however, have at least two others in mind who ALWAYS get on here and bellyache about the officiating. And even when the refereeing is decent, it's "Well, at least this week they didn't screw us as bad as in the past". It's juvenile. You're taught from an early age when playing sports to honor calls, overcome bad breaks, and not blame personal failures on someone else. Nonetheless, I also clearly stated there is much to be desired with the current state of officiating, rule changes, etc.

And not for nothing, the Jenkins play was blown dead. It makes no difference what Jenkins did after the play; once the whistle blows, the play is over- end of story. We can argue that it was a "quick whistle" all we want, but the best we could've hoped for on that play was possession of the ball on the 1. Anyone who says "we had a touchdown taken away" is mis-characterizing the play.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

diehard99 is offline Registered User

Were not good enough to overcome bad calls, we need their help. Arizona was being physical with our wide receivers but why cant we be physical with theirs then.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I didn't have you in mind, Mike, when I posted. I DID however, have at least two others in mind who ALWAYS get on here and bellyache about the officiating. And even when the refereeing is decent, it's "Well, at least this week they didn't screw us as bad as in the past". It's juvenile. You're taught from an early age when playing sports to honor calls, overcome bad breaks, and not blame personal failures on someone else. Nonetheless, I also clearly stated there is much to be desired with the current state of officiating, rule changes, etc.

And not for nothing, the Jenkins play was blown dead. It makes no difference what Jenkins did after the play; once the whistle blows, the play is over- end of story. We can argue that it was a "quick whistle" all we want, but the best we could've hoped for on that play was possession of the ball on the 1. Anyone who says "we had a touchdown taken away" is mis-characterizing the play.
    I agree that any notion the officials are out to get the Rams is a bit over the top. All teams are the victims of bad calls.

And I understanding what you're saying about the Jenkins play, but after watching it numerous times, it's interesting to note that not a single player on either team reacted to the whistle, and continued to play as if it was a live situation. IMO, if the officials didn't screw up, that play results in a TD. From my perspective, the whistle didn't cause any players to "relax". Unfortunately, the whistle was blown, and at that point by rule, the play was dead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12