Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan B...

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Plan B...

Here's what concerns me...

Looking at needs this offseason, we didn't need a kicker. Yes, we got a younger one, but the reality is, we are status quo at kicker, good FG kicker, with average, or below average kickoff ability.

As for Bell, listening to Devaney talk, he is stating the positives of "the guy we got", knowing that they missed on the guy they wanted. I'm sure he's a solid guard in the NFL, but we got the one who was probably still available on monday because he's a bit undersized.

They were trying to get one of the CB's, but they got gobbled up. Now they say the the other teams paid too much, but why release Bruce and free up all this cap space if you weren't willing to use it?

The answer is that they freed up all this cap space to SO THEY COULD OVERSPEND and get Faneca some new young players in here, like Berrian, or one of those 2 CB's, and none of it worked out.

They didn't get any of those players, and cut Isaac Bruce in their attempt, which failed. Now they are "shutting it down" so they can wait for the draft.

I think they somewhat screwed the pooch on this one.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Plan B...

Uh .. ok .. but what's plan B? :x

Rambos is offline Registered User

we didn't need a kicker
    How was that the case when money called it a day?

"the guy we got"
    What do you want him to talk about the guy we did not get?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How was that the case when money called it a day?

What do you want him to talk about the guy we did not get?
    I can see where people are shaking there heads about the kicker signing,cut Bruce to free up cap space and then spend 14 million on a kicker,he may be good,but he needs to be damn good for that money.as for not getting Faneca,I'm glad they didn't shell out that money for him,we are more than one or two players away from being good,so overpaying for that one player who could put the Rams over the top doesn't make sense.I am still bummed over the Bruce release but I think looking toward the draft is the proper route to take and possibly a trade for more picks.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Although I felt we overpaid a bit for Brown we dont have to worry about that position anymore for a while. I wanted bell all along because i knew Faneca would be too expensive and bell is only 27. Also Bell played in a much tougher division when it comes to talent he faces from week to week and seemed to do just fine. He got to go up against the likes of Brock,Freeney,Stroud etc. and seemed to still come out as one of the top 3 guards in free agency. So while we missed the boat overpaying for Florence and thank god we missed overpaying for Reeves we still have landed two very good free agents so far. Justin Smith wasnt worth what Friso gave him and we will end up with a better player if we get Gholston or Long than they ended up with grabbing a vet. There are still wr's out there like Hackett,Bryant Johnson and Lloyd that we could bring in that would be effective with a good qb at the healm. If plan b is not overspending for a bunch of over rated guys then I love what the Rams have done so far.
    Just Fix It

Ramer is offline Registered User

Is plan B wait for the draft? :\

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    There are still wr's out there like Hackett,Bryant Johnson and Lloyd that we could bring in that would be effective with a good qb at the healm.
    I was not aware that the Rams were talking to any of them. Bryant is the only one that I would want anyway and it looks like Buffalo has already had him in and is currently working on a contract. Lloyd has been a tremendous disappointment since being drafted and Hackett is a maybe an average receiver in this league.

he needs to be damn good for that money
    When he beat us and kept us out of the playoffs, I thought he was damn good. Not only did we get better we weaken the hags. They wanted him back, and where set to pay him almost as much. I agree on Faneca he would have cost too much, and he is older.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Here's what concerns me...

Looking at needs this offseason, we didn't need a kicker. Yes, we got a younger one, but the reality is, we are status quo at kicker, good FG kicker, with average, or below average kickoff ability.
    Actually, the moment Wilkins retired, PK became a high-priority need. The Rams did a very good job filling that need.

As for Bell, listening to Devaney talk, he is stating the positives of "the guy we got", knowing that they missed on the guy they wanted. I'm sure he's a solid guard in the NFL, but we got the one who was probably still available on monday because he's a bit undersized.
    The guy they wanted is older and would have cost more. Bell is a very good signing.

They were trying to get one of the CB's, but they got gobbled up. Now they say the the other teams paid too much, but why release Bruce and free up all this cap space if you weren't willing to use it?
    I have not read anything that indicates that CB was a priority, but assuming it was, who did you expect the Rams to sign? Asante Samuel? He would have cost too much and, quite frankly, outside the Pats defense I would not be surprised if he gets exposed as a fairly average player.

The answer is that they freed up all this cap space to SO THEY COULD OVERSPEND and get Faneca some new young players in here, like Berrian, or one of those 2 CB's, and none of it worked out.
    No, that was your Plan A. I seriously doubt the Rams intended to "overspend" for anyone, nor should they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramer View Post
    Is plan B wait for the draft? :\
    I think he's saying that we have settled for Plan B so far because they weren't willing to dish out money to the guys they really wanted.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Av basically summed up my exact thoughts. With Wilkins teetering on retirement and then eventually retiring last Friday, I have no idea how anyone can say kicker was not a need.

We will need it to sign SJ and OJ...

We will need it to sign SJ and OJ...
    Are you talking about the ex-Bills running back who had a slashing and cutting style?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

When he beat us and kept us out of the playoffs, I thought he was damn good. Not only did we get better we weaken the hags. They wanted him back, and where set to pay him almost as much. I agree on Faneca he would have cost too much, and he is older.
    I'm sure he will be good,it's just hard to think that he will be as good as Wilkins was,Brown is automatic from inside 40 but outside of 40 he was 11 of 17 last season,he will need to close that gap a bit.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

There really wasn't anyone out there to help out the secondary. We've drafted high there the last few years and we have what we have. They must step up and play better. I know, I know, we didn't have a pass rush. So get one in the draft. Help the secondary out. They will with Gholston or Long, but don't forget how Spoon came on late when he was able to roam a little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
  2. -03-05-2008, 04:03 PM