Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plan B...

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Re: Plan B...

My point is not that the Rams have done terrible in FA, because Brown is a great replacement for Wilkins. Plus we take him away from our Division Rival. My point is NOT that Faneca would have been better than Bell, because in the long run Bell is younger, etc...

My point is that it appears the Rams Front Office cleared up a bunch of cap so that they could get some additions in Free Agency (why else would you clear up cap space?), and didn't really spend the money because most of the possible's on their list were gone right away.

I guess ultimately, for me, it comes down to the question, why unload Bruce for his salary if you don't use the money saved to improve the team? We didn't need all that cap space for the draft pool. They must have thought they could use that money to make a few moves in FA, and the only upgrade is one guard. The kicker is a wash, because he's not an upgrade, just a back-fill.

I'm not sold on Devaney yet.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

I believe it's to try & lock up Steven Jackson long term, Imho.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    My point is that it appears the Rams Front Office cleared up a bunch of cap so that they could get some additions in Free Agency (why else would you clear up cap space?), and didn't really spend the money because most of the possible's on their list were gone right away.
    As has been pointed out by others on this thread, we need cap space to sign OJ and we may need it for Chillar if we decide to re-sign him. S. Jax is not necessarily a needed signing today, but could turn out that way. Having cash on hand gives the Rams flexibility. It may be that we are taking a page out of the Colts FA book. They re-sign their valued roster players instead of other teams' cast offs in the FA market. They know what they are getting when they re-sign these guys. And it sure hasn't hurt their performance any the last several years.

From what I've read, most of the posters are unhappy that the Rams haven't made a bunch of signings in FA. IMO this is a refreshing change from the last several years. Let's get it done in the draft. It may take a few years, but if we do it right, we'll be back on top. Go Rams! :l

jquarando is offline Registered User

Dont forget that we need some money to sign the #2 pick and all the other remaining draft picks. Id hate to see this but some people need to think two steps ahead.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    The answer is that they freed up all this cap space to SO THEY COULD OVERSPEND and get Faneca some new young players in here, like Berrian, or one of those 2 CB's, and none of it worked out..
    I think they freed up the money so they would have options, but they didn't (as you seem to suggest) intend to overpay. The only player we know for certain that they went after was Faneca. If they really wanted to overspend, I'm sure they would have been more aggressive at the start of free agency. There have also been rumors circulating about trade talks, and that would also be a reason we might free up cap space. If we do make a trade, we may sign the player to a new deal when he gets here.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

If we had sighned berrian and made him one of the top 5 highest paids WR's in the league with the bruce money( which only would have went so far) we would not have been able to sign bell. Clearly it was a move for SJ and OJ and as mentioned above for options. Cutting it close right down to under the last million after sighing picks would have been to risky. I dont agree with what they did to bruce, but iam not unhappy about what they have done in FA or in thinking ahead to the future which is somthing that has not happened in a long time around here (IMO)

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

It does make sense to free up the money to sign OJ and possibly SJ long term....

I would prefer to build through the draft, but have been very frustrated over the last 5-6 years that the Rams have let a lot of young talent go because they didn't lock them up long term, which needs to be improved if they are going to build through the draft.

Rams4Life is offline Registered User

I agree with most of your assessment. When FA started, i thought the teams top needs were a starting center, a starting DE and a starting safety. OL and DL depth also needed upgraded. After they cut Bruce, receiver became a priority.

They then signed a kicker and a guard. Wanted to look at some CB's. With Wilkins retiring, Brown was a no brainer. But guard and CB were positions the Rams were at least OK at. I was a little surprised the Rams didn't attempt to make some trades with all the players flying off teams, but that didn't happen either.

I'm OK with the signings, i just wish they could have filled one more spot with a top signing.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Are you talking about the ex-Bills running back who had a slashing and cutting style?
    LOL...

Oshiomogho Atogwe

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My point is that it appears the Rams Front Office cleared up a bunch of cap so that they could get some additions in Free Agency
    And that's why appearances can be deceiving.

Think about it this way......they free up some space, fill a couple of holes, sign all of our top-of-the-round rookies to their contracts, AND have enough left over to sign our franchise running back to a front-loaded long term contract that keeps the team from having to cut and restructure later.

Just sayin'......if that's how it works out it'll be nice, won't it?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
  2. -03-05-2008, 04:03 PM