Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Play calling

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Play calling

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And I'm not convinced that removing a blocker from the equation would be any more effective either.
    But you might as well give it a try if the other isn't working, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Take a look at the post Mike made, he summed it up nicely. Just because the Rams got to Bulger quite a bit doesn't mean nothing was being done to try and counter it.
    Come on, you guys are giving Linehan way too much of a pass now. We ran into the same issues with him last year and we didn't have nearly the amount of injuries you do this year.

when you're adding new linemen every month and have problems protecting your QB, then keeping an extra guy back to pass protect while simplifying the playbook for your newcomers makes a lot of sense to me.
    And it hasn't really worked to protect Bulger or Ferotte- so I don't see why you continue doing it.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Come on, you guys are giving Linehan way too much of a pass now. We ran into the same issues with him last year and we didn't have nearly the amount of injuries you do this year.
    So you're still maintaining that Linehan didn't run a single play to counter the blitz?? Surely you can't be serious? I find it hard to believe we watched the same game.:\

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Its widely accepted that no amount of scheme can make up for a lack of talent. It should therefore be a given that no amount of scheme can make up for a lack of talent at the most crucial point of attack, the offensive line.

"And it hasn't really worked to protect Bulger or Ferotte- so I don't see why you continue doing it. " - moloch41

This makes very little sense. A recognition that despite adjustments (For all of those who think adjustments have been beyond our staff ), we still have problems protecting our quarterback, should not lead to a statement advocating that we should leave even fewer people behind to block. That somehow leaving five people behind would give Marc even more time to throw behind an offensive line that changes from week to week.

Its been recognised that the Rams playcalling must take notice of its offensive line. That scheme must take account of talent available. As well as being football truisms, this season should prove these points beyond any doubt. Its not a matter of giving anyone a pass, its a matter of taking into account more than the win-loss column when evaulating the performance of the players and the coach.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

But you might as well give it a try if the other isn't working, right?
    No, I wouldn't. The protection now is poor. I wouldn't further endanger our quarterback, who has already been injured this year from poor protection, by removing blockers. When the line isn't performing well, often times that extra guy to double team a rushing end or pick up a blitz is effective. Sometimes it's not. It makes little to no sense to me to remove help from a struggling offensive line simply because it's something different to do.

Come on, you guys are giving Linehan way too much of a pass now.
    And you're not being way too critical by suggesting he didn't do one thing to counter the blitz?

And it hasn't really worked to protect Bulger or Ferotte- so I don't see why you continue doing it.
    We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think complicating the playbook when you're starting guys like Rob Petitti and Nick Leckey whom you picked up off the street is the answer. Now that the Rams are poised to get guys like Steussie and Romberg back, maybe you can open things up more. But not when you're bringing in guys from the unemployment line who are trying to learn on the fly.
    Last edited by Nick; -11-20-2007 at 03:26 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moloch41 is offline Registered User

We'll see what happens when we get those guys back- I think it will be more of the same. You guys think it's beneficial to send two guys out on routes and leave everyone else in to block, I think that is too easy to defend (especially when you're as predictable as Linehan and Olson- and it allows defenses to send more guys after your QB. Like I said, Bulger is probably one of the most- if not THE most sacked QB in the league, so Linehan's protection schemes aren't working anyway. Give him more hot reads instead of watching his two targets getting blanketed and his arse sacked.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

You guys think it's beneficial to send two guys out on routes and leave everyone else in to block
    I don't know about anyone else, but I don't recall saying we should only be sending two receivers out on every play. But when your line is getting played like a fiddle and is not holding up well against pressure, then often times having a running back or a tight end stay back to pass protection can help defend the pass rush.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But that's why you're not going to see McMichael as involved in the passing game during some games as you would others. You seem to think that using a McMichael was an adjustment Linehan just happened to make. My point was that it was an adjustment that was dependent on the play of the line and whether or not the Rams needed McMichael to stay back in protection.

When they do, that's where he'll be (or someone, like a RB). When they don't, then they can use him more vertically. But to need him to protect and to not use him in that manner seems like it would have pretty disastrous results, IMO.

Hopefully the return of Steussie and Romberg will improve the blocking and allow us to do more offensively. But there are no guarantees, so we'll have to see.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234