LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Play Calling -Offense

We as Rams fans have been spoiled at times by one of the best offensive minds in the game. In my opinion Martz has some of the best plays ever yet he lacks continuity. The 3-5 step drop that made his team famous was replaced by 5-7 with his qb usually getting killed. The front office fealt like it was time to change and they did. He left behind a offensive legacy that was stained by madness. There is alot to learn from the Rams offensive regime and hopefully Linehan does just that.

The Rams have Holt one of the best in the league at WR. Then there is best route runner in NFL history Issac Bruce. When you add in the super Fast Curtis you have weapons that teams just dont see very often. Not to Mention we have a Moose of TE that is just a huge target(I know he is a Rookie). Then you have an extremely accurate Bulger throwing to these guys. Factor that in with the threat the SJ can break one at any time and we should have a top tier offense.

The offensive line though at the moment is shakey and already has been hit with an injury. Bulger will face pressure and The Rams are gonna have to limit the play calls at times with max protection schemes. Or they could start using quick drop pass plays that limit the time defense has to react. I think one of the greatest things that can be learned from Martz is how effective quick drops can be when you have the weapons. Its a shame that he abandoned it in the first place. I really want to see quick slants and little 5 yard outs. A couple more screens would have been nice as well. Get the ball out of Bulgers hand and into the receivers hands.They make plays that is their job.

Im not asking for Martz ball, I want to see more balance and less flinging the ball around then we have in the previous years. The thing is I think Linehan yesterday showed us balance on the drives but not in the red zone. This was a problem Martz had in the Red zone as well. Kind of a "Lets try to outsmart the d instead of pound their d." When you start from the 3 yard line you pound once twice 3 times a lady hell even 4 times if you have too. I say use Davis like the Steelers used Bettis if you dont want SJ doing the carrying inside the 5 (something I do not understand by the way.) Coach those little pass plays intended for the TE or RB off the goalline work alot better when you are not facing extremely fast linebackers. Sorry for the smart alec routine but that play really pissed me off.

I like the balanced attack. I like the commitment to the run.We just need that commitment in the zone too. We will have to get this passing game going If we want to put up some points though. I would give the play calling a d minus yesterday. They really did not work the middle of the field very much. I like the direction I like the focus but you have to be a little bit wild at times on both sides of the ball not just defense. Open up the playbook in the open field please.

Great win in a grinder. Im very happy about the game. The above story was the one problem area I saw and I think it could just be nerves. There is times when you will play too conservative. The first home game as a head coach is probably on that list of times. Overall I like Linehan I think he has this team motivated and they all seem to beleive in him. That is a hard thing to gain so quickly especially when replacing a Coach that helped get a franchise its first ring.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -09-11-2006 at 02:21 PM.

LET'S GO DODGERS

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Play Calling -Offense

love the commentary you hit the playcalling miscues right on the head. Our red zone offense has been horrible the past 3 years and something has to give in the play calling. When there is only 20 yards to go, linehan cant overthink as martz did and call crazy pass happy plays but just run the rock, play a little smashmouth football down there... if you look at all the touchdowns in the redzone yesterday by other teams expect for maybe the cards( kurt;s back at it again) they were hard nosed, hard fought runs by mike bell, frank gore, edge james, fred taylor, etc... we need to let stevie do his thing in the red zone...

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Great post, LaRamsFanLongTime. Was their any "drives" until the end of the game? I did not see the entire game but most of it and I would agree with everything you stated except my grade for the playcalling was F+.

Like your post states a balanced gameplan will keep the D on their heels even in the redzone. You can have your balanced attack without ramming the run but intelligently calling run plays when the D thinks you are going to throw those 5 yard slants, quick drops etc.

Our RZ OF looked even worse than the last three or four years. Miami's OF was pretty boring last year too so watch out ...

Nerves, well un you are just being nice. Remember the pre games our offense stunk!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Was their any "drives" until the end of the game?
    The first drive of the game for the Rams took up 7 mins and 46 sec. The longest after that was 5 mins 36 in the 4th which really helped drain the clock.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

RealRam is offline Registered User

FLT, a well dedicated, nicely thought out and written commentary.

Scott Linehan's very first NFL game as HC. At home. New players. New football mentality. Starting center injured in game. We need to settle down, gel, focus!

Yes, we still have much of that Martzenian legacy in and around the offense, at least "in spirit". Namely: Bulger, Bruce, Holt, Curtis, the 'Steven Jackson Project' and a couple of the OL stalwart members or three.

By all means, we could have, should have scored at least ONE TD! But, alas, as noted since yesterday during and after the game, it seems that Coach Linehan played it extremely conservatively, all the way to having Bulger take the knee during the last few minutes of the game [rather than having Jackson take a shot at the end zone to what could have, should have, enhanced his production for the day; or even allowing Money and friends to hit a 7th FG].

Not a spectacular finish, for sure. And the failure to score one single TD was already beginning to take the form of a burden. Now it is nothing less than a full fledge challenge. Yet another reason why it would have been so meaningful and substantial to get a 7 pointer in lieu of a 3 yesterday.

Absolutely. Considering all those weapons and former forte we once enjoyed as an offense not too long ago, our victory over the Broncos can be viewed as odd and somwhat tentative, even timid!

Say what? The RAMS OFFENSE TIMID?!? :O

That's okay. Lets not forget, meanwhile, that this was a CRITICAL, first-game win, thanks to a revamped Ram D that came in to play some serious football. Thank you, Coach Haslett. You and your D delivered.

I think Bulger must have been tossing over and over in bed last night, mentally seeing one or two of his receivers celebrating a TD. Rest assured, nonetheless, that the entire Rams offense will be...

a) Working on reality, on practicing those red zone situations to the point of...
    b) Functional and practical perfection until they can...
    c) Truly feel comfortable and confident of scoring touch-downs on many more opportunities this season.

Untill they can achieve all that, even in their sleep.

GO RAMS OFFENSE!
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-11-2006 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added, changed.