Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RAMFANRAIDERHATER
  • 1 Post By HUbison

Thread: Play off turnover

Mikey is online now Registered User

Play off turnover

Every year for the last five years at least five teams have missed the playoffs after making it the year before. So of the six teams in the NFC last year, Philly, Seattle, SF, Green Bay, New Orleans and Carolina. Who will miss out allowing the Rams to take their spot?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Play off turnover

Carolina or New Orleans
    Randart likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Carolina or New Orleans
    Atlanta or Tampa win the division? I agree with Carolina and I'm leaning to the whiners as the 2nd in the NFC.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Every year for the last five years at least five teams have missed the playoffs after making it the year before. So of the six teams in the NFC last year, Philly, Seattle, SF, Green Bay, New Orleans and Carolina. Who will miss out allowing the Rams to take their spot?
    Excellent question. But difficult to answer at this point without knowing what injuries teams are going to face this year.

However, with the rosters as they are now, I'd say Carolina did the least to improve themselves in this group.
    clarasDK likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think the Rams can grab a spot as a Wild-Card team. Last year the ***** and the Saints were those teams. Since Carolina has done very little good this off-season the Saints are likely to win that division. The ***** are weaker on defense, but stronger on offense. Our advantage is that we play them twice enabling us to help ourselves while weakening them. Green Bay and Philly each look good enough to stay in the playoffs as someone has to win the NFC North and East. So I think we can unseat the ***** or Carolina. A key question is will Seattle have SB hangover? That could allow us to actually win the division. Stranger things have happened.

Go Rams!

demiurge is offline Registered User

I think Philly and Carolina both miss the playoffs this year. GB will make it with Aaron Rodgers staying healthy. New Orleans is 50/50. Good chance the Bears get in this year. And I think the Skins bounce back.

And of course our Rams.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

So, as some above have alluded to, there's only 3/6 spots available to the Rams. NFC West champ and Wild Card 1 & 2.

Philly may drop out in a sophomore slump of the Kelly regime, but that is likely due to the Redskins bouncing back and the rest of the league having film on them. The NFC East is a very competitive 2nd tier division, that sadly we could probably have won the last couple years. They have no (direct) impact on the Rams playoff slots, in my opinion.

Likewise, but a little harder to call is the NFC North. They have 2-3 teams worthy of playoff aspirations, but it depends on health. The Bears look very good offensively(if the line holds), but can the aging stars of their defense hold up and can new blood step up? Same story with the Lions, offense can be great, but can the defense keep up and will the offense execute better? Green Bay has the total package and ARod should carry them to the playoffs on his back if he has to. NFC North might get two playoff slots, so they're a possible turnover benefactor, which hurts the Rams.

The NFC South is interesting in that I believe that they have never seen a division champion repeat the next year. Fate seems to stay on this side, as I don't see(along with a lot of you) Carolina repeating as either the #2 seed nor as the NFC South champion. Peyton would struggle to succeed with that receiving corps(if you can call it that), and Newton is no Peyton. I expect their offense to struggle more than the defense can carry. Consider this to be our first opening in the playoff docket. New Orleans is interesting as they lost a big offensive role player, but got a potential replacement in the first round, in addition to maturing young wideouts and Brees will do as Brees does. On the flip side, the defense solidified after Spags ran it into the ground. They will compete for the division and will at least threaten a wild card slot until week 17. Atlanta looks to rebound in a big way, and very possibly gets my vote to replace Carolina; the question I have is, can Matthews solidify the line well enough and will they get hurt by the absense of Gonzo?.

And now we come to the NFC West. 4 teams that could probably win the NFC East and make serious noise in the other two divisions. If you want to see fireworks, come here. Of course, by fireworks, I mean defenses who like to rip off heads(See: reason why Alex Smith plays for the Chiefs now). Two teams run ground-heavy, limited option offenses, one that runs a traditional pocket offense with an aging QB, hoping that lightning strikes twice in that regard, and then the Rams, which has a QB that had huge success with the spread in college, players that would work well in a 12 or 11 personnel spread, but had more success with a ground and pound offense with a backup QB. I have to think that ether the Whiners or the Squawks or both make the playoffs. They've been top of the NFL for three years now, and despite talent losses, still look to be heavyweights. Cards could be up or down. And then the success for the Rams all comes from the offense.

Can we be a 10-11 win team and make it as a wild card? Absolutely. Can we be better than the non-winners between Green Bay, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta, Detroit? I think so. But we need to put up at least two TD's every week, and more than likely three. If we can give our defense a lead, they can win the game. Getting that lead is the key.
    I believe!

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I'm gonna go with bad injury to Kaepernik knocks out SF.