Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Playcalling to blame for Seattle loss? No way ...

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    hey maybe your on to something,put Jackson in the shotgun with the option to run or pass.wasn't it the Jets game when Martz did that with Trung Canidate down by the end zone and he took it up the middle for a touchdown.
    I'm for anything that will help us win games jk.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

So the game was televised last night and no one mentioned it. Thanks a lot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Look guys, to be up 19-7...We should have been able to maintain the lead and we didn't...Obviously there's something wrong there...It is so much more than just playcalling my friends, it is so much more...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    If I may nitpick, they should take the pitch play to Jackson out of the playbook. It has never worked and it never will.
    As a runner getting to the outside, Jackson is typically underrated by Rams fans. He may be 230 pounds, but he ran a 4.45 at the combine and is faster than he's given credit for. Those plays work when you have a hat on a hat and your RB doesn't have to dodge an unblocked defender six yards behind the line of scrimmage, which is what happened on that second down sweep.

We have a line constantly rotating and gaining no continuity due to injuries and new personnel practically every week, yet we wonder why there are breakdowns on those plays.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    2) Apart from the 53 yard run, Jackson averaged less than 2 yards per carry. You blame that on his vision. I don't buy that argument. The plays that were being called were not working. Try something else.
    There aren't many plays you can call that will work without an offensive line winning in the trenches or executing their assignment. Jackson's poor ypc average on plays other than his big touchdown run is, to me, a clear indication of our inability to open holes at the line of scrimmage or gain any ground against the defensive line.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There aren't many plays you can call that will work without an offensive line winning in the trenches or executing their assignment.
    That's not the point. The point is, you need to find plays that the guys on the field can execute. You don't just run the same types of plays that are not working over and over again.

Otherwise, you might as well just say "well, I guess we can't do anything" and kneel on the ball every play and hope the clock runs out before you give up that 12 point lead.

That's not the point. The point is, you need to find plays that the guys on the field can execute.
    Which is pretty difficult when you can't even count on your linemen to execute the basics.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Which is pretty difficult when you can't even count on your linemen to execute the basics.
    I think our O line is better then a high school team. I know they are weak but they do put some drives together. They gave Gus all the time he needed when he hit Bruce for the TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think our O line is better then a high school team. I know they are weak but they do put some drives together. They gave Gus all the time he needed when he hit Bruce for the TD.
    That's my point. You can't count on them because of their inconsistency in performing the fundamentals of football.

As I said to tx, we have a line constantly rotating and gaining no continuity due to injuries and new personnel being shuffled in and out of the line-up practically every week. The talent is simply not there, nor is the experience of working beside each other and gaining that trust and communication with your teammate. These are some of the most essential parts of good offensive line play, and we're sorely missing them.

It's easy to say that Linehan needs to find plays his team can execute. Actually doing it with this line and line situation is a much harder task. There's not some magic playbook that will work with any line-up of players in the trenches, no matter the talent or the cohesiveness.

The sad thing is that, as you pointed out, as poorly as our line played we still had opportunities. Opportunities that in the second half were largely missed not because of playcalling errors but because of poor throws by our back-up quarterback. Go back and watch our offensive performance in the second half - on the last five of seven second half series, Frerotte misses open receivers in situations that could have resulted in first downs, extended drives, or in the case of the final drive, a game-winning touchdown.

Maybe Scott Linehan should have been calling plays that didn't require our QB to be accurate, though.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The differences in opinions on this subject are not going to change no matter how much explaining this, and deliberating that, takes place.

It's obvious that some of us watch Ram games with an ulterior motive. And that is to find reasons to have Linehan fired.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

That's not the point. The point is, you need to find plays that the guys on the field can execute. You don't just run the same types of plays that are not working over and over again.

Otherwise, you might as well just say "well, I guess we can't do anything" and kneel on the ball every play and hope the clock runs out before you give up that 12 point lead.
    Linehan is caught between a rock and a hard place here.

It doesn't matter what adjustments he makes (and he's making plenty of them due to injuries) he still cops it from either side.

Let me take a stroll back to weeks two through four, if I may, to validate my point. Linehan is firstly criticised in the 49er game for not calling running plays in the red-zone.

The next week, He runs on first and second down in endzone, we get stuffed, and he is criticised for bad playcalling. It is also during this week that it becomes evident that Bulger is suffering through a bout of broken ribs, and Steven Jackson goes down with an injury which prevents him from playing in the next four games.

Linehan now has an injured QB, an offensive line that is now minus three starters, and a rookie starting his very first game at tailback, going up against the premier team in the NFC (though I still think the Packers could have won today if Brett Favre was in the game.)

So what do you do? You aim to call plays that get the ball out of your quarterback's hands, and FAST, to prevent him from getting injured, whilst using your short passing game to compensate for a ground game that has been compromised by injury. The result? Short passes, and lots of them.

Due to injury sustained in the previous game, Bulger is not able to execute the plays called, that compensated for not only our inablity to protect him, but his existing condition and the lack of a proven tailback.

So what happens? Linehan gets criticised for calling "too many hitch plays"! WHAT'S HE GOING TO DO? There isn't another option there to compensate for all of those needs that were created by the bizarre amount of injuries to key players the Rams have suffered through.

I'll tell you, if I'm Scott Linehan, i'm copping it from all sides despite the fact that he is doing the best he can in the circumstances at hand. Somebody previously mentioned (Mike?) that we are in "uncharted territory" and they are absolutely correct.

At the moment, Linehan can't hit on anything with his critics. He couldn't even hit the water iff he fell out of the proverbial boat. (Just had to start and finish with Cliches)

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Linehan is caught between a rock and a hard place here.

It doesn't matter what adjustments he makes (and he's making plenty of them due to injuries) he still cops it from either side.

Let me take a stroll back to weeks two through four, if I may, to validate my point. Linehan is firstly criticised in the 49er game for not calling running plays in the red-zone.

The next week, He runs on first and second down in endzone, we get stuffed, and he is criticised for bad playcalling. It is also during this week that it becomes evident that Bulger is suffering through a bout of broken ribs, and Steven Jackson goes down with an injury which prevents him from playing in the next four games.

Linehan now has an injured QB, an offensive line that is now minus three starters, and a rookie starting his very first game at tailback, going up against the premier team in the NFC (though I still think the Packers could have won today if Brett Favre was in the game.)

So what do you do? You aim to call plays that get the ball out of your quarterback's hands, and FAST, to prevent him from getting injured, whilst using your short passing game to compensate for a ground game that has been compromised by injury. The result? Short passes, and lots of them.

Due to injury sustained in the previous game, Bulger is not able to execute the plays called, that compensated for not only our inablity to protect him, but his existing condition and the lack of a proven tailback.

So what happens? Linehan gets criticised for calling "too many hitch plays"! WHAT'S HE GOING TO DO? There isn't another option there to compensate for all of those needs that were created by the bizarre amount of injuries to key players the Rams have suffered through.

I'll tell you, if I'm Scott Linehan, i'm copping it from all sides despite the fact that he is doing the best he can in the circumstances at hand. Somebody previously mentioned (Mike?) that we are in "uncharted territory" and they are absolutely correct.

At the moment, Linehan can't hit on anything with his critics. He couldn't even hit the water iff he fell out of the proverbial boat. (Just had to start and finish with Cliches)
    Well said bar-bq. I tried to give you props, but I have to spread it around... Your points are valid, and have been echoed by many here including myself. But you're wasting your breath with certain members, I'm afraid. There are those that don't want to hear about injuries and the reality of how it has limited our ability to do anything offensively. Whatever he does is never going to be enough, or right. Linehan has done as well as could be expected with the cards he's been deal, IMHO. Even with the team totally torn apart by injury, we've had chances to win 3-4 games easily, including last Sunday. But players that are being asked to step up are not stepping up, such as Gus badly missing a wide-open Bruce for the game winner. It's just easier for some to point the finger at the guy at the top, then to ask players to take responsibility for their bad play. Firing Linehan will not solve this teams problems.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Sorry, but I'm not letting you get away with your pseudo-logic, guys.

Yes, the offensive line limits the types of plays that can be called to an extent. But when you start saying "well, our line can't even do the basics," you are essentially saying that there are no plays that would work. Really? Then how did the Rams have 175 yards and 19 points in the first half?

The reality is, even if your playbook is limited, as a playcaller you need to do 2 things (1) find the plays that have the best chance of working in light of the limitations, and (2) mix things up to a point where the opposition can't predict your plays as soon as you line up.

Linehan has failed in both regards repeatedly.

As for my motive... its the same as yours. To see the Rams improve.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey Nick,

I understand that the O line is decimated, but even when it wasn't Jackson can't run outside. Never has. He's been most successful between the tackles. He has never been an outside runner. You can say what you want about the sweep, but the only reason it worked is because he threw a pass to McMichael.

Linefan is offline Registered User

I've been lurking here for a while, but I finally had to register and say whats on my mind.

Scott Linehan is a great coach. He has kept this team in games week after week despite being in a complete no win situation with injuries. I think he is probably the best coach the Rams have had since John Robinson, and if the award was given for making the most of a bad situation, he would win NFL Coach of the Year this year!

If the Rams fire Linehn, I have no doubt he'll be a Head Coach somewhere else next year, and probably holding up the Lombardi Trophy before long. Then what will Slop say?

You know, I don't typically give negative rep for a poster's first effort, but that was so absurd I had to make an exception here.

Strike one, Linefan!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-30-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast