throwback week

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Playcalling question

Ok first off let me say I'm NOT COMPLAINING. Now, I'm very curious as to what the point was of a fake field goal punt...For the life of me I can't come up with a good reason. Field position is out, since the game was pretty much over. Well inside Josh Browns range..Maybe not to run up the score? The score was already lopsided, 3 points wouldn't have matter. I'm open to any suggestions here..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Playcalling question

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Ok first off let me say I'm NOT COMPLAINING. Now, I'm very curious as to what the point was of a fake field goal punt...For the life of me I can't come up with a good reason. Field position is out, since the game was pretty much over. Well inside Josh Browns range..Maybe not to run up the score? The score was already lopsided, 3 points wouldn't have matter. I'm open to any suggestions here..
    No, actually field position would be the reason. Haslett was willing to sacrifice a shot at 3 more points in favor of pinning an offense (that had not been moving the ball well since its first series) down to a 90 yard field.

It's solid clock management assuming the defense slows the offense down.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Strange as it may seem, he might have actually been avoiding running up the score.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

I thought it was a smart classy play.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Agreed, but i would have loved another three points out of Josh for my fantasy team. It's all good though, my opponent started Peyton Manning and Terrell Owens

RamOfDenmark Guest

I'd have just kicked the field goal, I don't really see it as running up the score (going for a TD like the ******* Pats would have done would be).

Btw. ain't it great having discussions about whether we were running up the score or not? I could get used to this here, whaddya call it "winning" thing
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-20-2008 at 01:38 PM.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Ok I could see the not wanting to run up the score. But why not just punt with Donnie Jones? Same thing for field position. I don't really think it's that important since the Rams were up 34-7 with under 5 min. to go, but even if it were, why not use Donnie Jones? It's not that big a deal, it just seemed like an odd play to me, and I guess there isn't really a solid answers as to why..

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I don't really think it's that important since the Rams were up 34-7 with under 5 min. to go, but even if it were, why not use Donnie Jones? It's not that big a deal, it just seemed like an odd play to me, and I guess there isn't really a solid answers as to why..
    Dude, it really is as simple as field position. I'd love to say it is something more, but sometimes the answer really is that simple.

In that situation, what is more important to Haslett.......3 points and a kickoff that "could" go back for a TD return? Or a high probability pooch that will give the Cowboys a 90 yard field to push and less than 5 minutes to do it?

I'd say the latter.

As to why not use Jones...........nobody lines up to return on a FG attempt. If Jones trots out there, a return man goes back. Most likely Jones hangs one up in the air, so there's no threat of a return, but there is a very real threat of a touchback. As it were, Brown pooches a harmless 20 yarder with no chance of return and slim chance of touchback.

Like I said, sometimes, it really is that simple.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Didn't the drive following that fake field goal lead to the Cowboys 2nd TD from a throw from Johnson to Marcellius Bennett?

That field position didn't really help at all there.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

But that drive did eat up most of the remaining clock, so it did help.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

it was a good play...you miss the field goal = better field position for the cowboys.... you come out in punt formation = that bad boy austin might run it all the way back.... the safest play to do was a fake field goal punt, i totally agree with the call...field position would be the EXACT reason they called that play..

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Didn't the drive following that fake field goal lead to the Cowboys 2nd TD from a throw from Johnson to Marcellius Bennett?

That field position didn't really help at all there.
    The call played out just fine. The Cowboys got the ball.....a 90 yard field....4:33 on the clock.....and a 27 point deficit. The Cowboys managed to knock off 26% of their deficit, but it cost them 59% of their remaining time.

Again, the call was just fine.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As it's been said over and over, it was simply to not rub it in the faces of the Cowboys, while at the same time rub it in the faces of the Cowboys.

You draw the vengeance of the football gods when you run up the score needlessly, and while a FG would not be nearly as bad as going for it on fourth down or going for needless TD's, it would still be running up the score.

By using the fake FG, you vastly increase your chances of pinning them deep, and you rub it in their noses by saying "we don't need any more stinkin points!" I loved the play, myself.

And keep talking Hub, those statistics are getting me all frisky! (please see Family Guy for the reference. Please!)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Josh Brown had a big smile on his face after the play. He seemed to be saying "guess that's why I'm NOT the punter."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree 100% with the field position and time left in the game thoughts. I also was thinking of the potential for a blocked FG and the potential of it being returned for a TD. Which in turn would have been a huge momentum swing.