sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Player Profile: Dominique Curry

Working his usual 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. double shift as a personal trainer at an LA Fitness, Dominique Curry was simply going through the motions of another day at the office.

But something was different that morning and the wide receiver had a feeling. See, Curry had already essentially given up on his NFL dreams after the draft came and went and he got nary a call from an interested team.

When the Rams went looking for bodies to populate their April rookie minicamp, Curry’s phone finally rang. On the other end was Rams assistant special teams coach Derius Swinton, asking Curry to hop on a plane to St. Louis to come to Rams camp on a tryout basis.

“I knew I would get a phone call on draft day,” Curry said. “But after about a week, I was like OK. I usually don’t carry my phone on me at work but that day something just said carry your phone in your pocket. I was training somebody while I was on the phone with the Rams.”

With no hesitation or expectation, Curry got on that plane and arrived in St. Louis hoping to make an impression.

“I just wanted to come out and work my hardest,” Curry said. “If they see how hard you work that at least gives you a better chance to get invited back to OTAs or training camp.”

It didn’t take long for the little-known wideout from even lesser known California (Penn.) College and Cheyney University to make a strong first impression.

At 6’2, 227 pounds, Curry showed a solid combination of size, speed and sticky hands. Even as it was happening, Curry could tell the coaches were impressed with his work.

“The first practice, I got a couple reps and then I started to get comfortable and better and more confident in myself,” Curry said. “Then the coaches were giving me compliments and it started to transition over.”

As Curry walked off the field following the fifth and final practice of that minicamp, he was stopped by management and told that he was going to be offered a free agent contract that would allow him to participate in organized team activities and the veteran minicamp in June.

“It wasn’t that bad (waiting to find out),” Curry said. “After practice, I thought OK time to go back to work. When I was jogging off the field they actually came up to me and said ‘We are going to sign you.’ I just had the biggest smile and said ‘Thank you.’”

The road to a NFL contract was nothing if not unusual for Curry. As a standout basketball player and track competitor on top of his football prowess, Curry was a three sport star at Cheyney University.

After spending three seasons at Cheyney where his father was the head basketball coach, the football coach was fired before Curry’s senior year.

So, Curry decided to stop playing football and finish his Cheyney career concentrating on track and basketball and earning his degree.

That left Curry with a year of football eligibility and he decided to find a place to finish his career. After all, football afforded him his best opportunity to continue playing after posting 134 catches for 2,202 yards and 14 touchdowns in three years at Cheyney.

Curry opted to enroll at California College in Pennsylvania but didn’t get much of an opportunity to contribute as he played catch up on the scheme. Instead, he stepped in on special teams and made an immediate difference as he finished with 13 tackles and blocked two kicks.

On offense, Curry had just four catches for 64 yards and a touchdown. For someone with three accomplished years under his belt, it was a bit of an adjustment being relegated to role player.

“I just stayed humble,” Curry said. “The first game, my dad came and told me to stay focused and not get frustrated. So I threw myself into special teams, had a couple punt blocks. Every kickoff I tried to make the tackle and I basically did it. I tried to excel at that. I even told them I would move to tight end or defense. It was my senior year, all I had left. So I just devoted myself to special teams.”

With his college career complete, Curry held out hope he’d get an opportunity though he jumped right into his job at the gym.

After staying patient, the Rams finally provided that chance.

“It’s been a blessing,” Curry said. “I talked to my parents and they said to come here, work hard, thank God for the blessing and just take advantage of it.”

Curry had an impressive offseason and figures into the mix for what should be a competitive battle for roster spots at wide receiver come training camp. After an initial surge of just being happy to be in the NFL, Curry’s approach has turned into all business.

“When I got the call I was excited and nervous and I couldn’t believe I was on a plane coming to St. Louis,” Curry said. “I got to the hotel I am walking past Sam Bradford and sitting in a room with Mardy Gilyard. I am from a small Division II school; I was just like “OK, this is real. I’ve seen these guys on TV.” Then I’m on the field with them.
    “But you can never get too comfortable because you never know what can happen. Right now my main focus is to get into training camp and finishing to make the 53.”

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Player Profile: Dominique Curry

To be honest I would have no problem if those two undrafted receivers make the roster. I know they have to take someones spot but I think they will improve our running game and our red zone offense.

viper is offline Registered User

At 6'2" and 227 lbs. he's got good size. Something we could use more of. It doesn't hurt if he catches everything that comes his way either.

shower beers is online now Registered User

I really enjoy reading these. It definitely gives you some perspective on the other side of things.