T Orlando Pace

Thursday, September 22, 2005

(On whether he think the Titans will be out for revenge for Super Bowl XXXIV)

“It was a long time ago. They probably have just as many guys that were on that team that we have that was on that team. Those guys that remember it probably have moved on. They’re just trying to get a win for this season, and we’re trying to get a win for this season.”

(On how he is feeling after his sickness during at Arizona)

“Yeah, it was something that I had, it was funny, well it wasn’t funny, but just you know, something I ate for breakfast didn’t agree with me and the heat and all that. Yeah, I was giving it up on the sideline quite a bit. It was one of those days where you know. It was awful dry out there, so it made it tough.”

(On what he had for that breakfast)

“Oh, man, I think it was some eggs. I don’t think those eggs I had agreed with me too much. It was coming up pretty good.”

(On T Alex Barron easing his way into the offense)

“That’s a tough question. When I was here, I didn’t mind. I was hoping that I could get some playing experience. One thing that Alex could do with this year is he could take mental reps and understand the system, so that when he comes in he understands what to do and how to do it and really works on his technique. Sometimes if you play your first year, you don’t get to work on your technique. They kind of rush you, so you don’t know a whole lot about the plays and things like that. I think one thing that will help them is he can understand the plays and understand the technique. That will probably make him better in the second season.”

RB Steven Jackson

(On playing the home opener)

“It’s pretty exciting entering the new season at home, we’re 1-1, so I think its going to make for a fun atmosphere this weekend. Because first off the fans get to see us live and in person and don’t have to watch it on TV. Just being home and not having to get on that plane and fight through the jet lag. It makes it easier on the body and I think there is going to be a lot of excitement this Sunday.”

(On any changes that will be made facing Tennessee’s defense)

“No. We all believe what we do is up to us, and we don’t feel that there is any defense that can really stop the talent that we have here. It’s just a matter of picking it out and seeing what they are trying to do and stopping it and using something else.”

(On whether he thinks he will get as many carries as he would like)

“You would like to believe so, but most importantly, I know two things. The runs and the carries will come, and it’s a long season and I’m not in a push or a campaign to ask for more carries, just yet. I know as long as we win it I won’t complain at all.”

(On what it means if he is getting the ball)

“Two things, the clock is going and we’re keeping their offense off the field. If we’re not in the lead, we’re pushing down the field to be in it. There are two things that I understand. With me carrying the ball it gives the offense the confidence of knowing that Coach believes in them and their run blocking.”

(On his 35-yard screen pass that came back due to a questionable call of holding on WR Torry Holt)

“Yeah, they called a holding penalty that…Torry was playing football. He was playing tough. It was unfortunate that it came back, but I told him, ‘Good thing it wasn’t a run.’”

DT Ryan Pickett

(On the stat change of his sack against Arizona)

“I know they turned the one. They said they don’t think I caused it, even though I was grabbing him and pulling him and the ball slipped out of his hand. They said they didn’t think I caused it, but Coach Kollar said he thinks it should have been one. They put that down as a team sack. They robbed me. The other one they gave half to Leonard .”

(On how hard sacks are to come by)

“That’s the hardest thing in the world to come by, for me. When you’re fighting the double team every play, that was tough. I just have to go out and try to get some more, that’s just bad luck.”

(On what gives the Rams and edge while playing at home)

“I think it’s the crowd, man. The place will be pumped up. You just feel like you have a 13th man out there. They help us out a lot. What did I say, the 13th? Two extra. Just having the crowd behind you, helps you get off the ball on defense.”

DT Jimmy Kennedy

(On having the interior of the defensive line healthy)

“The sky’s the limit now. It feels good to not have everyone depend on Leonard to make plays every time. Now, on third down, they aren’t just screaming go Leonard.”

(On the Titans’ running backs Chris Brown and Travis Henry)

“We all know what Travis does, and Brown proved what he can do in his first year out. They have a great running game. They have a solid offensive line. McNair was an MVP, and you have to give that guy his respect. We’re going to have our hands full with this team.”

(On getting RB Steven Jackson the ball more)

“He’s definitely a special player. He proves it week in and week out in practices. He’s a big guy, with great feet, great speed, and he has the ability to dominate a defense. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, he can pound you, he can run high and truck a guy, he can make a guy miss. He’s a special player.”

(On new linebackers Chris Claiborne and Dexter Coakley)

“Those guys are great. They provide leadership. They are playing fast ball. We don’t have to hold onto a guy for five or 10 seconds. Once you grab those guys, those guys are gone. They know their responsibility and, like I said, we’re just holding each other accountable for everything.”

LB Chris Claiborne

(On how the defense has been able to stop the run)

“Every week is a big week. I think last year, for whatever reason, they had a situation where they couldn’t stop the run. I think it’s a tribute to the guys that were here already. They are disciplined in what they need to do. It’s just up to me, Pisa and Dexter to clean up. I think the defensive line has done a very, very good job of making our job easier on Sundays.”

(On what preparations they have made to be able to stop the run)

“You just do your job. In this situation, especially with the run game, it’s about everybody getting to where they need to be. It’s a one-gap defense, so once you get there, you allow everybody to start playing and being aggressive, then we start making plays.”

(On the strength of the Titans’ running backs)

“It’s a very good combination. I think you have speed in both running backs. I think you may have a little more power with Henry. The other guy is kind of a rangy guy, like Dickerson. If we do our job, as well as the offense scoring early, it puts pressure on them to get out of that situation and try to do something else.”

CB Travis Fisher

(On if he still talks to CB Jerametrius Butler about playing corner)

“He’s not really around in the meetings. No, we don’t really talk about that kind of stuff. JB is trying to rehab, so I don’t really get tied into that right now. I talk to the rest of the guys in the meeting room. DeJuan Groce and Coach , whoever.”

(On getting to play in front of the home fans)

“There’s nothing harder than playing on the road two games in a row, the first two games of the season. I’m happy to come back and start this first home game, and we’re going to be hyped and ready to go.”

(On having the crowd as a 12th man at the Dome)

“It’s lovely having that 12th man. The crowd is crazy. Teams don’t like to come and play against us at home. We’ve been pretty successful winning games at home, and that 12th man is critical.”

WR Torry Holt

(On returning to St. Louis for the first home game)

“It’s been a long couple of weeks for us, some tough games, tough divisional games on the road. So, it’s going to feel very good to get back home and have our home opener. I’m looking forward to our home crowd and seeing the people get excited and get involved in the game. We always feel good when we play at home. It’s going to be very exciting, I’m glad.”

(On the new field turf at the Dome)

“I like it. I think it’s really good. It’s a lot softer than that turf. Hopefully it will give guys a few more years on their careers. It’s good to see that everybody in the National Football League is either grass or field turf. I think that’s good for everybody. Our surface, I think it’s good. On a scale of one to 10, I think it’s a nine. You know, eight or nine, somewhere in there. It’s a good surface and hopefully we’ll break it in for the regular season on a good note.”

(On if it’s strange looking back at the Super Bowl year knowing that he’s a respected veteran)

“It’s been a while since I’ve thought back to ’99, but to see where I am now, it’s amazing, and at the same time it’s exciting. I was able to come in my rookie year and had a great group of guys. I’ve learned a lot about the game of football on the field as well as off the field. It’s helped me develop into the person that I am now. So, I’m very thankful for that ’99 season. I was able to gain a lot and learn a lot from a lot of people that has, like I said, made me the player that I am today.”

(On his touchdown catch in the Super Bowl)

“That was probably the most exciting catch of my lifetime. That will be the catch I remember for the rest of my life. So, when I’m dead and gone and I have my football memories that will be the one that I remember, catching the touchdown in the Super Bowl. That’s big. A lot of people don’t get an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl, and then to play in it and catch a touchdown to help your football team win a ball game, that’s something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.”