View Poll Results: Which player will STOP disappointing us in 2008?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Bennett - healthy and motiviated, he'll cause matchup problems for small CBs.

16 29.09%
  • Alex Barron - he'll finally mature and live up to his potential.

9 16.36%
  • Richie Incognito - no... he'll finally mature and live up to his potential.

9 16.36%
  • Claude Wroten - will make the most of his last chance.

4 7.27%
  • Pisa Tinoisamoa - will stay healthy and become a playmaker.

1 1.82%
  • Tye Hill - will play so well that nobody, not even Tx, will question his ability.

11 20.00%
  • Somebody else?

5 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Which Player Will Finally STOP Disappointing Us?

I went with someone else and that someone else is Chavous. I think he's a veteran who has one more good year in him and he's too proud to go out playing like he did last year.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

I went for Cogs, too. He has all the ability needed to establish himself as a very good RG in this league and has just got to learn to control his aggression and to channel it properly. Saunders is just the type of guy who can help him do that. Besides, Schuening has been brought in to provide some competition for the spot and he is the kind of blue-collar grafter who will make sure that Richie stays on his toes.

Of the others, I have a horrible feeling that Bennett is simply a mercenary at this stage of his career; Barron simply doesn't look interested, alas, as he's got all the talent in the world; Wroten isn't good enough; Pisa's a perennial sicknote, but a good player on those occasions when he is healthy; Hill is way too inconsistent.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Seems like Drew Bennett is the no brainer here. He's going to go from the #3 receiver to the #2 because of the Bruce debacle. Because of this he will see alot more balls than last season. Really IMHO expectaions for Bennett have to be high or at least alot higher than last season.

BUT-

I'm going with someone else.

Randy McMichael.....As long as the O-line stays reasonably healthy this guy should put up some big numbers. He will be the RED ZONE sleeper for us.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Seems like Drew Bennett is the no brainer here. He's going to go from the #3 receiver to the #2 because of the Bruce debacle. Because of this he will see alot more balls than last season. Really IMHO expectaions for Bennett have to be high or at least alot higher than last season.

BUT-

I'm going with someone else.

Randy McMichael.....As long as the O-line stays reasonably healthy this guy should put up some big numbers. He will be the RED ZONE sleeper for us.
    For your choice to come through, (as well as the folks who chose Bennett), we'll need to have Big O healthy and playing at a high level .. something that has been absent the last couple of years. Big O didn't officially make the list, but if he is a "disappointment" as in not being able to play a full season, it will be hard for guys like Bennett and McMichael to really shine .. We paid alot of money to the big guy a while back, I'm hoping he'll be able to play at least 18 or 19 consecutive games for us this season ..

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I voted for C. Wroten (and apparently I am an army of one on this one). Considering that the Rams passed on Glen Dorsey it now makes it all the more imperative that Mr. Wroten step up and start to play; as we have next to no depth at the D-Tackle position. Another problem is that even if Carriker gets healthy and Ryan starts and plays well, we still need somebody to provide an interior pass rush. Here's hoping that Wroten can do just that.

WHAT SAY YE?

Thumbs up Re: Which Player Will Finally STOP Disappointing Us?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I voted for C. Wroten (and apparently I am an army of one on this one). Considering that the Rams passed on Glen Dorsey it now makes it all the more imperative that Mr. Wroten step up and start to play; as we have next to no depth at the D-Tackle position. Another problem is that even if Carriker gets healthy and Ryan starts and plays well, we still need somebody to provide an interior pass rush. Here's hoping that Wroten can do just that.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Last year I was hoping Wroten would come on .. Didn't happen .. The guy has the physical tools no question, but work ethic, and smarts appear to be in shorter supply. I have more hope for Pisa and Hill than Wroten this year. It would be a wonderful surprise though, were Claude to prove me wrong .. Can he get his head screwed on right and his priorities in order ?? Hopefully ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is tough. So many questions with all these guys, but I really think Incognito will step up this year. He's the first to admit his mistakes and always takes responsibility for his actions which to me is important. I believe he's matured and will be smarter about reining in his on the field exuberance.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'd say there's a good chance for any of them except Wroten and Barron. You can't fix stupid, nor can you fix immature & lazy. These two have incredible physical talent, but "work ethic" is not something that develops. You either got it or you don't.

I obviously disagree, having selected Wroten in this pole.

I believe anybody with the talent and motivation can be worked with. It may be a daunting task, but I believe Wroten, with the proper coaching, will take advantage of his current situation and play an important role in our rotation this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

I believe anybody with the talent and motivation can be worked with. It may be a daunting task, but I believe Wroten, with the proper coaching, will take advantage of his current situation and play an important role in our rotation this year.
    Lets hope you're right about the motivation part .. I don't remember hearing anything about his being newly motivated .. He certainly possesses the physical tools to engender success, but the work ethic aka motivational part have so far been lacking .. I hope you're right and that I've missed something, as it would be icing on the cake to have Wroten become a force for us this year. I was one of the people drinking the "he's a steal" koolaid after we drafted him. At this point in time, I'll admit my enthusiam has dwindled ..

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Lets hope you're right about the motivation part .. I don't remember hearing anything about his being newly motivated .. He certainly possesses the physical tools to engender success, but the work ethic aka motivational part have so far been lacking .. I hope you're right and that I've missed something, as it would be icing on the cake to have Wroten become a force for us this year. I was one of the people drinking the "he's a steal" koolaid after we drafted him. At this point in time, I'll admit my enthusiam has dwindled ..

I believe there was a thread here about Wroten just before the draft that was praising his work ethic at that time. The fact that he was working so hard on getting into shape early so that he could make an impact.

However, most posters predictably shot him down. I was at that time and still am, as of right now, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I believe there was a thread here about Wroten just before the draft that was praising his work ethic at that time. The fact that he was working so hard on getting into shape early so that he could make an impact.

However, most posters predictably shot him down. I was at that time and still am, as of right now, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    I agree with you hater....and I have to say that Wroten is an integral part of the defense this year. He needs to come through and play up to his potential or I don't think the Rams front line will be successful. Why? I'll tell you. The rotation of the DT's has to be successful or they don't stop the run. I think Glover just doesn't have it anymore. So to me, that puts added pressure on Wroten.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Well, I am certainly please that I am no longer an army of one on this thread. NinerHater, the event concerning Wroten's newfound motivation was carried, I believe, on a Gordo article where Haslett told Wroten that he needed to stay in town and work out as this was most likely his last chance as a Ram (or words to that effect). And apparently he actually listened and allegedly stayed in St. Louis to prepare for this year.

Tx, you are absolutely correct, sir, in your assessment of the Rams D-Tackle situation. I just hope against all hope that we don't look back several years from now and regret the day that we passed on Glen Dorsey. Look guys I'm all for Chris Long, but I've just got a bad feeling about passing on Dorsey. Time will tell.

WHAT SAY YE?

I remember a blurb awhile back saying that maybe he was seeing the light and working out hard .. I also remember hearing the same stuff about Jimmy K. Hopefully Claude will come through and my JK hangover will fade away .. I'm sure not rooting against the guy. In his rookie year I attended my first Bash, and happily the Rams provided a win against Denver that day. As my wife and I exited the Dome after the game, we discovered that Ram players were also exiting via a picket line which allowed them to access their vehicles parked in a lot reserved specially for them at the Drury just across the street. We soon joined the crowd of fans lined up on both sides of the roped off pathway clamoring for autographs. Can you guess whose autograph we bagged first? Yep .. none other than Mr. Wroten ... Now that I think about it, I remember not knowing right off who he was as he didn't look like he weighed 290 + lbs. He sure wasn't fat! Anyway he calmly signed our caps (we had an abundance of Ram caps and it escapes me entirely now as to how we came by them), and continued on his way ... Hopefully he'll come around this year and really make a contribution. We've got some high character guys on the D to mentor him now with Carriker, Glover, Long, Spoon, Chavous and others. Conspicuously absent is laggard Jimmy Kennedy and his less than stellar attitude. So yes .. there is hope !!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fortu, on levels never before seen, I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Tx is right, this team NEEDS for Wroten to step up. And I certainly hope he does; it's just that history (his own and others) is certainly against him.

I'm certainly rooting for him, just not banking on him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

blood85 is offline Registered User

Scott Linehan??? Wait he's the coach, not a player....well, let's see then....hmm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast