View Poll Results: Who will you have your eye on during training camp and preseason?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Smith

3 3.85%
  • Laurent Robinson

7 8.97%
  • Keenan Burton

7 8.97%
  • Darrell Scott

4 5.13%
  • James Laurinaitis

32 41.03%
  • Larry Grant

3 3.85%
  • Tye Hill

8 10.26%
  • Bradley Fletcher

6 7.69%
  • Justin King

2 2.56%
  • Someone else (who?)

6 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Which Player Will You Have Your Eye On At Camp/Preseason?

Camp reports can be misleading, biased and well... just plain inaccurate. Still, sometimes future success can be predicted from strong camp showings. Also, for some players, training camp can make the difference between being part of the the team's rotation, or a guy who will never see the field. Once the preseason starts, we'll get a better idea, though it is still hard to determine whether success can be sustained when the real games start.

So who is the guy you are most interested to see with the pads on?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which Player Will You Have Your Eye On At Camp/Preseason?

My vote goes to Darrell Scott. His selection was one of my favorites in this year's draft.

Scott came into last year as a top DT prospect, but had a somewhat disappointing campaign, in part due to coaching changes and nagging injuries. Then, once healthy, he put up very strong pre-draft numbers.

I think he really fits in the type of defense Spagnuolo wants to run. He has the size to hold up against the run and the quickness to penetrate. If he can get up to speed quickly, the Rams could have a very solid DT rotation of Carriker, Ryan and Scott. This would make a HUGE difference in the defense overall.

It will be interesting in camp to see how Scott rates compared to Carriker, Ryan and Orien Harris, who could compete with him for playing time.

Milan Guest

It'll be Laurinaitis for me. He was supposed to be a top-10 pick last year if I remember right and his play at Ohio State didn't really diminish that much. If he doesn't pan out, we have a huge hole at LB this year.

Our two tackles will be two other guys I'm watching.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think a case could be made for "all of the above". However, I will go with Smith, simply because his advancement is SO necessary for this offense to move the ball.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Jason Smith for me. looking to see if he can fill Orlando's shoes or if he will be overshadowed by Pace's ghost. Hopefully, Smith along with Barron wll be the "Bookends" that Bulger needs to help revive his game at QB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DistantRam Guest

I'm interested in how all of our players do in training.

However, for the purposes of this poll I've selected "Someone else" and gone for Roy Schuening. I really think that he could be the type of rough, tough, guard this team has been missing for a long time.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Larry Grant for me. I'd like to see him succeed and make some noise this season.

theodus69 Guest

Laringitis, I hope he makes so much noise and hits that he doesn't have a voice the whole year.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Will Mike Karney prove to be the fullback we've been looking for since "the Hammer" left? For sure I'll be watching him closely. I don't think Billy and Spags drafted Chris Ogbonnaya just to play on special teams. Yes he's a converted wide receiver who wasn't drafted until the seventh round, but Ogbonnaya held his school record for most receptions by a running back (46) in 2008, he was also a four-time Academic all Big 12 honoree as well as a seven-time University of Texas Athletic Director’s Honor Roll member. At 6' 0" and 220 lbs, I am hoping he'll become the bruising backup the Rams need behind Steven J.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I picked Keenan Burton(coin flip), as my interest is in the whole WR battle, as it's the most up in the air position on the team, and anyone could be slotted anywhere. Avery is the presumptive #1, but Robinson could easily displace him, just as easily he could be the #3 guy. the receiver battles at camp should be very interesting.

rams#1 Guest

every ram that has a number on their jerseys. nobody has earned the right to be exempt!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Laurinaitis. MLB is my favorite position and this kid could be a real stud.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I went with "someone else".

I like the idea behind AV's choice of someone on the DL. Run defense was such a consistent weakness even when The Rams played relatively well overall- I think it was a big part of those heartbreaking snatches of defeat from the jaws of victory late last season- that I'm hoping to see a major improvement in the pre-season games.

But that,imo, is so much about efficiency of the D overall that I couldn't pick out an individual to use as a yardstick. There's more than one guy with mud on his face when an opposing back rips off a 20+ yd run.

Barron is another good choice.Bulger is a different player without time back there and if Barron flops , there really isn't another season-long option to pair with J. Smith,imo.

So I'm going with the flipside & will focus on the offensive running game. If one of these back-up RBs looks great, I'll feel more confident that the efficiency of the run game unit has been raised enough to prevent the drastic drop-off that an SJ injury meant last year.
    We know a big play will always be possible with SJ in the backfield but will The Rams be able to keep defenses honest with whomever back there?

If you want one name, I'll go with Darby.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Good points, Azul! I didn't even think about Barron. While we have Jason Smith in the wings, the plan is for him to play at right tackle, so the camp progress reports on Barron will be very interesting as he finally gets his shot at the left side permanently. He was fairly solid there when Pace was hurt, but now the job is really is, can he do just as well, or better? That's a huge question going into the year.

maineram Guest

Offense - Avery, can he take the next step and build on his promising rookie season and stretch the defense consistently with quality catches that force the defense to respect him

Defense - Laurinaitis, will he make the jump to the pros and be as productive/disruptive as he was in college.

Every position battle will have my to see who will emerge in SPAGS eye to be the new young faces of the Rams.

Maineram -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast