ramhard is offline Registered User

Please explain - why special teams so unspecial?

I admit I've thrown my hands up. The Rams have gone through 3 highly thought of special teams coaches (one who left to have the league leading special teams squad the next year). They now draft and sign FA's for special teams prowess, they now devote key practice time to special teams, yet they still consistently have the worst special teams squad in the league.

Somebody brighter than me please explain - here you have millions of dollars on the line, people's careers, and yet special teams is the downfall?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Please explain - why special teams so unspecial?

I Dont Know What To Tell You,i Have Seen Better Special Teams Play In High School Games,they Look As Though They Have No Clue Running Down The Field,just Amazing That After All The Extra Work On St They Have Done That They Still Suck.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Good questions Ramhard, unfortunately I don't have any quick answers. However I do have several suggestions:

1.) Resign Michael Stone NOW! I don't know why they cut him but it's obvious we need him.

2.) Start playing the starters on the punt and kick coverage teams. And I don't want to hear about the risk of injuries. That is a risk we are gonna have to take.

WHAT SAY YE?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

It certainly boggles the mind.

I have the same questions, as I am sure all Rams fans do.

I have no answers.

Best guess....The Rams are simply jinxed.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

SP killed us; the **** had 196 return yrds and a TD.

TOTALLY UNACEPTABLE!
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I said it before, but I'll say it again so that down the road when I feel like Lambasting ST for who knows how many times I won't be accused of not trying to say anything constructive:

Why isn't ST working? Because they lack confidence in that phase of the game. Restoring that confidence doesn't come from just changing bodies. It comes from restoring the BELIEF that ST are a weapon in and of themselves.

That means treating ST with respect and not an afterthought. That means resigning Berger when you had the chance - not filling the position with someone who has neither distance, hang-time or direction. If you're not sure how the team will tackle, then just kick it out of bounds for crying out loud. Andy Groom could have done that last year.

Fair's injury may be unfair, but you need someone at PR like Hakim and someone at KR like Horne. You need to inspire fear in the other team that the ST is a threat not a pansy. And that fear will only come by bringing in established players to do just that. I think Tim
    Dwight was available to return kicks.

The point? sMartz may have gone and sought people who should be able to tackle, but he has yet to upgrade all the ST skill positions simultaneously - that is - bring in a punter, KR, and PR that will instill fear in opponents and in turn inspire confidence in the rest of the SpecialEd Players.

This game is as much about attitude as it is execution.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I don't think you can do anything. I think that its just if your team is know for that it will stay like that
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    If you're not sure how the team will tackle, then just kick it out of bounds for crying out loud.
    So to restore confidence in your special teams, you kick it out of bounds because you don't think they can make the tackle? Doesn't sound like a very good strategy to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    So to restore confidence in your special teams, you kick it out of bounds because you don't think they can make the tackle? Doesn't sound like a very good strategy to me.
    I don't know what you're winking about unless you got lint in your eye. His 1st punt went out of bounds inside the 20. His 2nd punt didn't go out of bounds and was returned for a TD. Sure seems like kicking it out of bounds was the better of the two tackling jobs.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    I don't know what you're winking about unless you got lint in your eye. His 1st punt went out of bounds inside the 20. His 2nd punt didn't go out of bounds and was returned for a TD. Sure seems like kicking it out of bounds was the better of the two tackling jobs.
    Adarian, your point was that ST isn't working because they lack confidence, yet you advocate that we kick out of bounds if we don't think we can make the necessary tackles. It seems to me that kicking the ball out of bounds isn't going to give your ST unit confidence because you're showing them you don't have faith in them. I'm not talking about game specifics. I'm talking about your general suggestion/theory.

This would be like a fan saying his team's passing game isn't working because the QB lacks confidence, only to turn around and advocate that the team's RB get 30+ carries a game. In order to give your players confidence, you have to show them you trust them to get on the field and make plays. Kicking a punt out of bounds to avoid having your players make a tackle isn't going to make them confident, in my opinion.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Kicking a punt out of bounds to avoid having your players make a tackle isn't going to make them confident, in my opinion.
    Let me put it this way. First, I don't see punting the ball out of bounds necessarily an indictment of the tackling abilities of the punt coverage team. Punting is a weapon to me. Kicking out of bounds on KO is obviously a detriment cuz of the penalty. Kicking out of bounds on punts seems to have more advantages than disadvantages. There may be 10 able tacklers on punt coverage but one well executed block and well, just as easily six points.

Second, and this point really has nothing to do specifically with the Rams, but I really never have understood the strategy of punting it to anyone ever. The whole point of the punt is field position to me. Why risk any return, ever? Angle every punt to the sideline. If it doesn't go out of bounds, it will definitely narrow return lanes. If you have ever watched rugby you'll appreciate that a key strategy is employing the "punt" to effect field position. I think we can learn something from our other football brethern.

No return and better field position strikes me as a better confidence builder than the off-chance that one in 20 tackles is a momentum changing slobber-knocker.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Adarian, you are on the money.

Berger was basically the MVP a few years back. I can't tell you how many times the Rams were pinned back inside their own 20 and Berger sent the other team back to their 25 or 30.

And punting out of bounds seems elementary. Why would you ever allow the opposition to return the ball when you could kick it out of bounds. I realize that you would get a number of short kicks because it went out earlier than planned, but this would mostly be because nobody practices this on a daily basis. I would much rather the occasional 30 yard kick because it crossed the OB line too soon, then the occasional (or more with this team) TD or even huge return. This is why they don't let you do this on kick-offs. Eventually some team will employ this strategy all year long and the NFL will change the rule. Let's be the one to do it?

This punter is a liability. The coverage is even more so.
    Wilkens did a nice job kicking it to the end zone. Not sure if he was wind-aided, happy to be back in a familiar stadium, or just has worked on this, but I recall at least one touch back. Good job $Money$.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Well 1 game is way to early for me to make a judgement call on our ST. I do believe that they will do better!