Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Please!!!! go get Vincent Jackson

Couldn't be more repetitive. Shurmur clan blame his play calling on the lack of talent now, but get some talent its out there. Help Bradford the offense in general out.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: Please!!!! go get Vincent Jackson

The game clealy illustrated the lack of a No. 1 reciever on the Rams' roster. Vincent Jackson would instantly make this team better.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

What makes you think we would call the plays that can take advantage of a #1 Receiver. We don't exactly take advantage of our All Pro running back.

If i lived in St. Louis I would be on my knees begging Billy Devaney. Teams are sure as heck not going to blitz as much knowing someone can take the top of there defense off. Jackson statistically the best deep threat in the game. It looked like the raiders had 15 in the box because of our stupid bunch formations

Shale is offline Registered User

I am definitely in the "we need a #1 camp" but VJ is not the guy. The only reason to go after him is if we want to spend the next 2-3 years debating whether his production is worth the disruption.

I would rather be patient than rash ...
    </shale>

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The Rams couldn't stop the run, take advantage of mistakes on the few occasions when they did get pressure against one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL, run the ball in the second half, or do any of a dozen other Football101 things.

But a different wideout will change all that....right....

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Why do you guys continually time and time again fail to get it? It's not the receivers, it's the damn scheme. It's so easy to see ...

Seattle ran the WCO at a very high level with nobody WR's for years. So did Philly. You've got to throw the ball downfield ....

The receivers can get open. The scheme doesn't give them a chance ...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I certainly understand the sentiment, but we need to be careful on this one.

One point that I have not seen raised in this context is how the possibility of a lockout could impact this decision.

If there is a lockout, a player like Jackson becomes a bad deal, as his first two years with the team would be partial years, at best (2010 - suspension; 2011 - lockout for ??? games). By the time the Rams would have him for a full season (and offseason), he'd be closing in on 30 years old.

On the flip side, if there is no new CBA by the time the draft rolls around, but one is expected, there may be a FLOOD of underclassmen entering the draft as players try to cash in before a potential rookie scale takes hold.

I'm not saying the Rams shouldn't trade for Jackson if there is a reasonable deal to be had (I stand by my 2011 2nd round/2012 third round, Miles Austin type contract maximum offer). It certainly would be nice if Bradford had a big, fast WR to take the pressure off of the rest of the skill players.

But don't break the bank for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    What makes you think we would call the plays that can take advantage of a #1 Receiver. We don't exactly take advantage of our All Pro running back.
    Honestly I think it would make a huge diference on this team. You move Laurent Robinson to the bench who has gotten zero separation. Clayton instantly becomes a more than competent number 2 guy. Vincent Jackson comes with respect your playing calling could be the worst in the world, but there is no way in the world unless you have Darelle Revis you are single covering him all day. Instead of having a safety in the box you have a safety over the top. You saw it with the raiders they were bunched up near the line of scrimage all day no matter what play you call for your RB he isn't going to pick up a ton of yards facing that many defenders.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    The Rams couldn't stop the run, take advantage of mistakes on the few occasions when they did get pressure against one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL, run the ball in the second half, or do any of a dozen other Football101 things.

But a different wideout will change all that....right....
    Don't forget, a new WR will suddenly bring out that great play calling wizard that we all know lives inside Pat Shurmur.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Why do you guys continually time and time again fail to get it? It's not the receivers, it's the damn scheme. It's so easy to see ...

Seattle ran the WCO at a very high level with nobody WR's for years. So did Philly. You've got to throw the ball downfield ....

The receivers can get open. The scheme doesn't give them a chance ...
    Exactly, either Shurmur or Spags assumed the Raiders have a weak run-defense and again, our defense went far too out on the field to fatigue themselves and made too many predictable plays on the 3rd quarter, so much for a heavy dose of Steven Jackson, let the big boy run the mix on the sides if you want him make good yardage but other than that give Sam Bradford more chances to throw as well... but not to an extent similar to Arizona.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Honestly I think it would make a huge diference on this team. You move Laurent Robinson to the bench who has gotten zero separation. Clayton instantly becomes a more than competent number 2 guy. Vincent Jackson comes with respect your playing calling could be the worst in the world, but there is no way in the world unless you have Darelle Revis you are single covering him all day. Instead of having a safety in the box you have a safety over the top. You saw it with the raiders they were bunched up near the line of scrimage all day no matter what play you call for your RB he isn't going to pick up a ton of yards facing that many defenders.
    Again, Robinson not getting separation is B.S. ...

NO ONE can get separation in this scheme. Go watch the damn slow motion replays and you'll see why ...

This crap about receivers not getting separation is getting very old. You can hardly tell unless you see slow mo replays from the right angles ...

Fastcat is offline Registered User

they drop too many balls point blank.... A scheme matters but when each receiver drops 2 balls again you have nothing.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i didn't really see any glaring drops today...we absolutely need a legit #1 receiver, that doesn't excuse the cowardly play calling so far this year and all of last year.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well, they definately need a playmaker.

Steven Jackson just isn't the guy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast