Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro

Thread: Plenty for Rams to work on after drubbing by Colts

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Plenty for Rams to work on after drubbing by Colts

Plenty for Rams to work on after drubbing by Colts
    1 hour ago • BY JIM THOMAS

INDIANAPOLIS _ With the first preseason game under their belt, one thing’s for certain for Jeff Fisher’s Rams.

They have plenty to work on.

While the first offense sputtered Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium, the St. Louis defense got picked apart by No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck at quarterback for the Colts. The result was a 21-3 halftime deficit in Fisher’s preseason debut as Rams head coach. Things got no better in the second half of what became a 38-3 loss.

Quarterback Sam Bradford and the Rams’ starting offense was on the field for two series. Although the starters picked up five first downs and advanced the ball into Colts territory on both possessions, the Rams didn’t get on the scoreboard.

A wide sideline pass from Bradford to a well-covered Danny Amendola on fourth-and-3 ended the first series on the Colts’ 37. A delay of game turned a third-and-4 into third-and-9 here.

On the second series, a false start on Barry Richardson pushed the Rams back into their own territory on third-and-8 from the Indy 46. Richardson started at left tackle ahead of former No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith. On the next play, a botched exchange between Bradford and rookie running back Isaiah Pead on third-and-13 lost four more yards.

Steven Jackson played only the first series, getting four carries for 17 yards and catching a screen pass for six yards before Pead took over. Bradford completed seven of nine attempts for 57 yards for a 93.1 passer rating but misfired on a deep ball to Steve Smith down the left sideline.

Pead was shaky at first. He gained only 13 yards on his first six carries. And besides the botched handoff, which was recovered by Bradford, Pead lost a fumble near midfield that was recovered by the Colts at their 47. Pead wasn’t hit on the fumble, he just bobbled it out of his hands trying to work his way up field on the first play of the second quarter. Pead settled down over the rest of the second quarter, carrying four times for 20 yards.

Kellen Clemens, who played the rest of the first half at quarterback after Bradford’s two series, was sacked twice by Colts outside linebacker Jerry Hughes. On the first sack, right tackle Smith let Hughes through to block someone else, and Pead turned away _ towards the other side of the line _ on pass protection. On Hughes’ second sack, he simply beat Smith around the edge.

As for Luck, he looked as good as advertised. Playing most of the first half, the Stanford product completed 10 of 16 passes for 188 yards and two touchdowns. That added up to a sizzling passer rating of 142.7. Preseason or not, it would be hard to imagine a better start.

On Luck’s first play from scrimmage, he threw a middle screen all of four yards to running back Donald Brown. But the Rams’ defense was sucked in, and once Brown broke the line of scrimmage he saw nothing but wide-open spaces en route to a 63-yard touchdown a mere 12 seconds into the game.

After a three-and-out by the St. Louis defense on Indy’s second possession, Luck and the Colts drove 53 yards in seven plays on the series following Pead’s fumbled reception. With the Rams’ starting defense sill on the field, the Colts converted a couple of third-down situations, and then Luck threw 23 yards for a TD to a wide-open Austin Collie on what might have been a busted coverage by St. Louis.

The Rams’ only points of the half came on a 37-yard field goal by Greg Zuerlein midway through the second quarter. A 54-yard pass interference penalty against former Ram draft pick, safety Jermale Hines, put the Rams in field goal range. Hines was trying to defend fourth-round draft pick Chris Givens on a deep post pattern.

Things didn't get much better in the second half, with the Colts adding a couple of touchdowns and a field goal to stretch their lead to 38-3.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Plenty for Rams to work on after drubbing by Colts

All I can say is, the thread title is an understatement.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    All I can say is, the thread title is an understatement.
    Gotta go to work!

ZiaRam likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Wow.......I won't say what Dana Stubblefield said about us some years ago, but it sure was fitting today.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Disappointed to say the least.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Do they have the staff in place to coach these young players up?

Sure doesn't look like it!

Richbert88 is online now Registered User

I saw missed assignments galore in the first quarter, especially with the OL and they're blocking.

Time to get to work COACH.
    Semper Fi!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

First Game Preseason, I don't put much stock in it...am holding my breath till the 3rd game and the first quarter of the 4th game...However, what I found disturbing, the Rams secondary. More disturbing the play of the O-line...am jsut hoping things are not as bad as they appear, but I saw something else that is very troubling, lack of motivation

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Looked like The Rams had a glorified scrimmage & Indy played a game. Mostly, I think it was by design but there were some glaring issues as we all saw. One I haven't heard much about was the run defense. That should be better by now,imo, even without a gameplan.

Otherwise there were quite a few flashes of good things to come. Givens getting behind the D 3 times ?! I think Sam will find the range with this kid & a lot of good will come of it. Both Jenkins & Trumaine had their moments. And the rookie kickers were good. I thought the punter was excellent,iirc, at the directional stuff which had sounded like an issue in TC & all the kick-offs were deep as well, no ?

I like Pead alot. Love the gliding stride, but I think The Rams need a bigger vet to back up SJ or you lose a dimension. Just because Cadillac fell apart doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea. Both Schotty & Fisher like the bruisers as well; George, LT,Jones, Greene, et al. All well & good to hope Pead is the next CJ2K but I'm not willing to bet the season on it or SJ being kept healthy by that O-line, never mind Sam.If Richardson is really pushing Smith after that performance, The Rams are in deep doodoo there.

In the end, the only thing that matters is, of course, no injuries. I bet some guys are gonna wish they were in the trainer's room this coming week, though. I think I saw a little grinding of teeth behind the 'Stache on the sideline. It'll be interesting to see how this group ( not really a team yet, is it ?) responds.
    Rambos likes this.