dgr828 is offline Registered User

Plenty of seating at The ED

The Spirit of Saint Louis seems to be lost at the EDWARD JONES DOME, as the Rams played hosts to the Atlanta Falcons, in the first home game of the 2009 preseason.

Its was shocking to see, during the TV broadcast of the game, that the upper level of the ED was basically empty and only a smattering of fans could be seen in the middle level sections.

Reports estimates the attendence at about roughly a little over 40,000 inside the Dome, which holds about 66,000.

One wonders if this is signs of things to come, Do the people of St Louis know something the rest of us don't? There has been much made in the off season of the inpending sale of this team. Maybe fans are too skeptical to get involved for a team that may possibly move out of town.

The Rams made plenty of upgrades to the Dome, this off season, (Love the new Jumbo Tron!) It's a shame and it cannot possible bid well for the future of this franchaise, if the appreciation is not shown for this team.

Maybe it's just Hard Economic times, fans are having a tough time scraping up some extra change to get tickets.
    And when the product on the field is sub par, the effort made aquiring tickets is less of a priority.

A funny thing happened while I was watching the rebroadcast on the NFL Network this morning, I was shocked and amazed that during the first quarter I actually heard a pen drop!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Re: Plenty of seating at The ED

It is not hard to figure out that by the time one purchases tickets to the game, pays to park, ingests the overpriced concessions and maybe splurges on souvenirs that the average blue-collar worker has been priced out of attending live games.

Now, when the NFL finally gets around to pay-per-view for the games some might opt back into the 'live' experience.
    >8(
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

keithv is offline Registered User

It was a pre season game. Look around the league and many stadiums are half full during these games. Look at Jacksonville they have said it's likely they are going to black out all 10 games this season. That will not happen with the St. Louis Rams.

TorontoRams is offline Registered User

There is nothing to get alarmed about. If you were a fan what would rather do? Spend your hard earned cash on a pre-season game against the Atlanta Falcons of all teams for the same price as it is to see a regular season game? Along with that knowing the team has won five games the last two seasons, and the fact that you will only see the starters for the first half, and Stephen Jackson for a couple plays and not to mention out starting QB not even playing?

If there is only 40,000 people going to a regular season game and the place is dead quiet then you can start worrying. The Rams aren't going anywhere, when the team performs well the sits are filled, that is at every stadium in the league. The Chargers had their first pre-season game blacked out, the Raiders regularly have home regular season games blacked out. The Jags are going to have every single game blacked out this season. Not to mention teams like Tampa Bay who are giving away FREE tickets just so they can avoid blackouts.

The problem is all over the league right now.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keithv View Post
    It was a pre season game. Look around the league and many stadiums are half full during these games. Look at Jacksonville they have said it's likely they are going to black out all 10 games this season. That will not happen with the St. Louis Rams.
    Yeah...only half the season will be blacked out.

That said, it's the preseason. These games are sparsely attended throughout the league. I'm not sure how many I will see in Cincy on Thursday.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I don't know how many season tickets have been sold, but they are required to buy preseason along with the regular season. I have to believe the number of season tickets sold are substantially more than what showed up at the game. So, if the tickets are already sold, and St. Louis has a very good public transportation system to and from the stadium so you don't have to pay for parking, and you can eat before or after the game, so I'm not buying those reasons not to go to the game. What it is are the fans in St. Louis are primarily baseball fans first and foremost. Unless the Rams are in first place and contending in the playoffs, they are just not interested. Now you ask, well if that is the case, why do they buy the season tickets? Most of those that have them are status divas. They have them because they have the means and they can brag about having them. These are the same people that sit there without making a noise, oblivious to what is really going on on the field. They have their jerseys and all their other paraphernalia to show off to their friends what a great fan they are. And they gripe about us that yell, cheer, and stand during the game. Not that I'm bitter or anything. I just wish St. Louis was more like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Dallas and other cities where even preseason game are well attended.
    Last edited by bigredman; -08-22-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TorontoRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I don't know how many season tickets have been sold, but they are required to buy preseason along with the regular season. I have to believe the number of season tickets sold are substantially more than what showed up at the game. So, if the tickets are already sold, and St. Louis has a very good public transportation system to and from the stadium so you don't have to pay for parking, and you can eat before or after the game, so I'm not buying those reasons not to go to the game. What it is are the fans in St. Louis are primarily baseball fans first and foremost. Unless the Rams are in first place and contending in the playoffs, they are just not interested. Now you ask, well if that is the case, why do they buy the season tickets? Most of those that have them are status divas. They have them because they have the means and they can brag about having them. These are the same people that sit there without making a noise, oblivious to what is really going on on the field. They have their jerseys and all their other paraphernalia to show off to their friends what a great fan they are. And they gripe about us that yell, cheer, and stand during the game. Not that I'm bitter or anything. I just wish St. Louis was more like Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Dallas and other cities where even preseason game are well attended.
    There are very few cities in the NFL where pre-season games are well attended, and actually pre-season games in Dallas aren't well attended, last night was the exception because it is their new stadium. St. Louis will never be Pittsburgh or Green Bay and I am fine by that. There isn't a place in America that will be like those cities and have a love for their football team like those places do. Not LA, not Portland, not San Antonio, no where.

As I mentioned above, if this continues into the regular season then their MAY be problems, but until then this is just an over-reaction to a meaningless game that no one cares about.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

When I was a season ticket holder in Anaheim, preseason games were part of the package and you were forced to pay for them, which I hated. That said, there was no way I'd have tickets for a Rams game and not go. I went to every preseason game and rooted for my team, which by the way was the laughing stock of the NFL at the time.

I applaud the fans that were in attendance last night.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

in one post guys are saying don't worry it's only preseason and it doesn't count and then the next post says hey the dome was half empty,so with the way the economy is do you think people are going to pay full price or even less on ebay to watch a meaningless game,most likely not, but to Mike's point season ticket holders should show up,they already paid so why not ,either go or give the tickets away. It looks like the Cardinals will be in the playoffs so the St. Louis sports fan could be looking ahead to taking there money and buying those tickets.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-22-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

If it's like this at the Bash then worry about it.

With the economy as it is, you need to spend money wisely. Going to a sporting event is considered a luxury right now. Go to it when it matters...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

diehard99 is offline Registered User

How will this organization ever find someone willing to take a chance that the rams will improve if they are moved somewhere else? If they move i won't be a fan anymore. I live here in st. louis and root for st. louis sporting teams. And yes the Cardinals rule this city. But I prefer the Rams but can't stand to watch them like this. But come game time I'll be back watching to see if they can beat the bengals. My wife thinks this is stupid - go figure. I'd also like to add that these RAMS are our ST. LOUIS RAMS - they play for THIS city just like other sporting teams play for their respective cities. I realize many of you have chosen to root for them for other reasonsthan being a resident here, which is fine with me. Some of you live in LA and have followed them far longer than I have. But as long as they are here they represent us. When Bidwell moved the Cardinals they became Arizona's team in my mind. I applaud you non residents for your support.
    Last edited by diehard99; -08-22-2009 at 10:49 PM.