View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest Ram QB of All-Time??

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bob Waterfield

1 1.72%
  • Norm Van Brocklin

5 8.62%
  • Roman Gabriel

13 22.41%
  • Kurt Warner

35 60.34%
  • Other

4 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Poll: Greatest Ram QB Ever

Nice idea for a poll, although as with 'Greateset movie' or 'Greatest Song' polls, it tends to be the most recent options that win out. Kurt therefore is probably a shoe-in.

I'll go for Roman though.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Great list of names there. Rams certainly have their share of history.

Lessee.. I guess this is for those who were great while wearing horns not great ones who wore horns....

I am terribly torn between the QB who was slinging TD's for the Rams when I first started to pay attention to football, the Flingin' Filipino.. Roman Gabriel, and the stock-boy to legend... Kurt Warner.

It is so hard to compare players from one era to another because the game is so different in many respects. Stats are all we have and stats can be interpreted and can be distributed in such a manner as to represent almost anyone's argument(s).

I so much want to say Gabriel because he was so good for us for an extended period but I think the nod goes to Warner because he pretty much changed the face of the game over a short period of time and with a little help from some friends brought the Lombardi Trophy home.
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -09-19-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typos
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes indeed RnD -- good arguments on QBs Gabriel & Warner.

Also, as Pang pointed out, usually it is the most recent sensation that takes the majority of votes for popularity and admiration. I would not refute that. Kurt is part of a Rams "...liberation movement" if you will, from all those years of dreaded seasons and sad endings.

To find KW all of a sudden come in by chance in 1999, click with Coach Martz and the GSOT, e-x-p-l-o-d-e in passing fireworks and ... become SB XXXIV MVP ... that takes some doing! And it was a story that launched his name into stardom, practically a legend in his own time -- well, with the Rams anyway.

The Superbowl and rags-to-riches story helped as well. -- Keenum

I would certainly not have a problem, ever, with seeing Warner declared 'The Greatest Ram QB Ever'.

Again, I went with Gabriel due to the timing of my first interest in the NFL, i.e., the Los Angeles Rams of 1965. Even as a teen, I could appreciate Roman's presence in the Rams offense (they scored the most points in the NFL in '67), him being one the prototypes of big QBs (6-4, 230), etc.

And like Warner, Gabriel was / is a good man too. :r
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-20-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Quote

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

I would certainly not have a problem, ever, with seeing Warner declared 'The Greatest Ram QB Ever'.

Again, I went with Gabriel due to the timing of my first interest in the NFL, i.e., the Los Angeles Rams of 1965. Even as a teen, I could appreciate Roman's presence in the Rams offense (they scored the most points in '67), him being one the prototypes of big QBs (6-4, 230), etc.

And like Warner, Gabriel was / is a good man too. :r
    Likewise, I would not be disappointed to see Gabriel win the vote.

Pro Bowls 1967, 1968, 1969, 1973
    Awards 1973 NFL Comeback POY
    1969 AP NFL MVP
    1969 UPI MVP
    1969 Bert Bell Award
    1969 NEA MVP
    1968 Pro Bowl MVP

:l
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

helorm341 Guest

I'm too young to even remember a few of those guys, but I had to vote Warner.

What he did in those three seasons were amazing, 99 and 01 were some of the best seasons ever for any QB. He also led us to two Superbowl and won one, he takes the cake.

keith m. klink Guest

if you picked either one you could not be wrong , for their value as rams , what they did , and how they did it , they both should be bestowed the best ram QB's , it's just that they were stars of a different time . the league and players were so different . so you just have to break up the time changes in the NFL. the 50's - van brocklin , waterfield , 60's gabriel , 70's harris , haden , don't forget someone called vince ferragamo . and after everrett , it was a who's who of anybody and everybody. all in all , the best QB to play for the rams = past - ROMAN GABRIEL , present - KURT WARNER . ..... FUTURE - BOBBY LEE STILES , 5th grade , ST MARKS catholic , pittsburg pennsylvania .
    Last edited by keith m. klink; -09-20-2007 at 03:04 PM.

blood85 Guest

#13 Kurt Warner for Ever.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

What? No vince Ferragamo???
    Of course I voted for Kurt as I had not seen any of the others play.

Drew Guest

[quote=jkramsfan;188755]and to think no one mentioned Dieter Brock, quote]

i did but only in a list of Qb`s that i remember personally, rather than reflecting on any trace of greatness that he may have had....

[QUOTE=Drew;188991]
    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    and to think no one mentioned Dieter Brock, quote]

i did but only in a list of Qb`s that i remember personally, rather than reflecting on any trace of greatness that he may have had....

How about Jeff Kemp? Dickerson said Kemp was better than Brock...

Brock’s ‘85 stats and Kemp’s ‘84 numbers were even, for the most part. Dickerson, however, saw something at the position that made the difference. And who is going to argue with one of the finest running backs of all time?

"Jeff Kemp was a better quarterback than Dieter Brock," Dickerson said. "We matched up real well with the Bears. They played a nine-man front all day long, and our quarterback had a hard time with that. That was our main problem."

http://nflhistory.net/shared/article...il&article=207
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

stats as a Ram:

Bob Waterfield - 91 games, 50.3%, 11849 yards, 97 TDs, .757 TD ratio
    Norm VanBrocklin - 104 games, 53.3%, 16114 yards, 118 TDs, .972 TD ratio
    Roman Gabriel - 130 games, 51.5%, 22223 yards, 154 TDs, 1.795 TD ratio
    Jim Everett - 107 games, 56.4%, 23758 yards, 142 TDs, 1.154 TD ratio
    Kurt Warner - 53 games, 66.4%, 14447 yards, 102 TDs, 1.569 TD ratio
    Marc Bulger - 62 games, 64.1%, 16768 yards, 97 TDs, 1.644 TD ratio

Man, this is a tough one!

In the short term, nobody did what Warner did. If he had the length of service the other guys on the list had, his numbers might have been untouchable. However, if my aunt had a ........., well, you know the rest.

On the whole, hard to argue with Gabriel. Especially considering that his numbers were put up in an era of passing games that are pre-historic compared to the weekly air shows we see now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Drew Guest

worth adding with the Gabriel case is that he was held back by coaches meddling with his game for his first few years in the NFL!
    or so i read as much in Deacon`s "headslap" biog....

jkramsfan Guest

[QUOTE=Drew;188991]
    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    and to think no one mentioned Dieter Brock, quote]

he did get to the 85 title game, but I was really only kidding, he doesn't deserve to be on that list.

Drew Guest

[quote=jkramsfan;189066]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

he did get to the 85 title game, but I was really only kidding, he doesn't deserve to be on that list.
    i did actually have a pic of dieter brock on my wall at the time, one of them multiple pics on a big poster number,but dont tell anyone!

well i was only 9 and 3 quarters my realistic view of players on our team being anything below gods was atleast 5 years in the future...

Drew Guest

maybe we should pester the mods into giving us a "nostalgia" forum where we can all share our memories or learn from each other about ones we may have not seen due to ages etc.....

most of my favourite memories of players aren`t of the ones that are in the pro bowl...the likes of Gary Jeter etc....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast