View Poll Results: Rate the Job that Haslett is doing as D-coordinator

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Outstanding! His D plays hard and his ingenious schemes have kept us in almost every game ...

5 7.69%
  • Solid! His D plays hard and he's gotten alot out of the talent we have with his aggressive schemes!

50 76.92%
  • Average! The D is slightly better than last year, but nothing to talk about!

9 13.85%
  • Below Average! This looks just like the D we fielded last year, a change is in order!

0 0%
  • Fire that bum! Where's Larry Marmie when we need him?

1 1.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Poll: Rate the job Haslett has done as D-coordinator

How does everyone feel about Haslett. I see mostly positives and a few stubborn negatives from certain posters. Let's everyone speak up on this!
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -12-03-2007 at 12:12 PM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Poll: Rate the job Haslett has done as D-coordinator

I would vote, but I don't want to vote twice. If we break it down by half-

1st Half:

Solid! His D plays hard and he's gotten alot out of the talent we have with his aggressive schemes!

2nd Half:

Below Average! This looks just like the D we fielded last year, a change is in order!

I'd be hard pressed not to pick the last choice tho- you just can't go wrong with a larry marmie mention.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Outstanding! His D plays hard and his ingenious schemes have kept us in almost every game ...

Coming from a D that was so bad, over the last few years. I love to watch the D, it is becoming fun to see what they will do.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2007 at 03:27 PM.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think Haslett's defense is solid. There is room for improvements (sometimes playing a little soft with the DB's too far off the ball, halftime adjustments etc.), but compared to last year there is a pretty big difference. Certainly enough improvement for me to be very comfortable with keeping Haslett and letting him mold the defense even more to what he wants in his year #3. I think he's got a plan, and he's getting the players to execute it well.

A big part of coaching is getting the maximum results out of the talent that you have, and I think Haslett is doing that - we don't have world-class talent on the D yet, but we're playing solid when you look at the players we have IMO. If we had more pass-rush from the DE spot I'd like to see what havoc Haslett could wreck in the backfield with disguised blitzes, as it is right now we sometimes have to blitz to get pressure and our opponents know this. With more out of the DE spot our defense would be more flexible and harder to predict. Overall I like how Haslett has turned up the heat in the latter half of our season (Witherspoon has become a pass-rushing force they have to watch out for etc.) and gotten more aggresive. To me, defense needs to be aggresive, no prevent-defense, not too much cover-2 sitting back in a zone waiting (but mix in some every once in a while to confuse the QB into interceptions). Mostle defense needs to be aggresive and in-your-face and Haslett is doing that more and more, forcing things to happen instead of just reacting and I think it's helping fire up the players too - they believe in the scheme and so do I.

I don't think Haslett wants to remain a DC for very long though. I think he took this gig as a stepping board to get another head coaching job and if it doesn't come, he might just leave or head to the college ranks. Besides for the Rams (If Linehan doesn't get the team playing a complete game soon), I'm not sure how many teams will be looking for a new coach next season. I don't see the Dolphins looking just yet and Romeo Crennel seems to have given himself at least another year with the Browns. The Bengals job might open and possibly the Whiners. I think everyone else gets a year's reprieve though- no matter how badly they finish.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I think he's done a solid job overall, adjusting well to the D-line injuries. Having said that, I think that nearly anybody who succeeded Marmie had to improve on that defence.
    I have a gut feeling that he's more than likely going to be the head coach next year. He will be the relatively cheap option that Georgia would like to see.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes, I too voted 'solid' on Coach Haslett's report card. :r

I think he has laid down the right foundation for our D to build on, provided an aggressive attack approach is maintained and the DL continues to develop (AC, Ryan).

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

My vote goes for solid. That's maybe not quite the word I'd use for it, but I think he's doing a better than average job even if the statistics don't reflect it.

I wound up voting for the last one...Larry Marmie is representin' in da house!!!!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

haslett's defense has done nothing but keep us in games and come up with big stops game in and game out...

TAKE THE SEAHAWKS GAME FOR INSTANCE IN SEATTLE... THE GAME WAS WHAT ONLY 10-3 AT HALF AND THE SEAHAGS HAD THE BALL IN OUR SIDE OF THE FIELD LIKE 6 TIMES AND ONLY SCORED FIELD GOALS

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Compared to last year, pretty solid.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Turnovers and the Performance of the Offense directly affects the Defensive performance - and I think the stats are a little skewed due to this fact, this season.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I voted "average". But I based that vote using the league as a reference, and not last year's Ram D. If I look at how the D has improved over last year's squad, or rather, the last several years, I'd lean towards "solid". Lets face it, the Rams had a horrible defense, and it would be hard NOT to improve it. Replacing the mess Martz and his boys created will take some time though. It's mostly a matter of replacing bad drafts and trades during the Martz/Marmie disaster and getting guys that can play, particularly on the front line. Until the Rams can get pressure on a QB without blitzing, they'll be a very mediocre defense.

I am concerned and somewhat curious though, about some fan's perception that the Rams collapses in the second half of games is solely an offensive thing. To me, I'm shocked at how badly Haslett's D folds in the second half of games. They seem to come out playing physical and aggressive, but in the 3rd and fourth quarters, they start playing "soft", almost "scared". I will except that perhaps the offensive problems (in the 2nd half of games) stem from injuries and a lack of playbook. The opposition figures out what we can do after a couple of quarters, and they make adjustments. We don't have the personnel to re-adjust because we're so limited due to all the backups on the line and at QB and RB. OR, as some have suggested, Linehan gets conservative. As guys return and replacements get more reps though, we're starting to put it together, as witnessed in the Rams winning three of the last four games. (should have been four wins)

The defense though can't use the injury bug as an excuse. It looks like Haslett pulls in the reins a bit in the second half and his D takes on a very soft look. The Falcons bring in a back-up QB yesterday and the Ram D made him look like Joe Freakin' Montana. Is it conditioning? Is it Haslett's inability to adjust during a game? I'm not sure, but it's happening nearly every game. The Rams give up way too many points in the 3rd and fourth quarters.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I too, voted for average, as I didn't agree with the wording of the higher options, though I generally think he's probably done a solid job. The issue I has was aggressive schemes and talent we have, as I don't think he's being that aggressive, and don't discount our talent. We have fairly good talent considering how abused and forgotten it was during the Martz era. Our secondary could be better, as well as our depth at end, but I'm not sure I'd change much else.

That said, he's been the bright spot of the team this year, but just as I suspected, our pass defense is being exploited this year like it wasn't last because it was so easy to run on us last year.

Maybe I should have voted solid...

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Solid, for sure.

We sink in the second half, but you can't tell me that isn't at all attributable to offensive lapses. Mike pulled out a stat that implied that we are 4 times more likely to turn the ball over in the second half than in the first.

That means our defense is 4 times more likely to see the field. You can't score if you don't have the ball, and you can't expect to stay consistent for the duration if you're turning it over when it counts.

I will admit, we have been lackluster at times, and it is not solely an offensive thing. However, Haslett and the play of some of the younger guys on this defense in Carriker, Atogwe and Ryan has been nothing short of sensational. Witherspoon should be a pro-bowl player, and I think Haslett and the play of the guys around him have had a big hand in that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast