Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Poor Tackling Concerns Spagnuolo

Poor tackling concerns Spagnuolo

BY BILL COATS
    August 23, 2010

As coach Steve Spagnuolo put it Sunday, a day after the Rams evened their preseason record at 1-1 by edging the Browns 19-17, "A win is a win." But the victory had its blemishes, Spagnuolo pointed out.

"It's not all pretty," he said. "So there are things we've got to work on."

Perhaps topping that list is tackling. The Rams whiffed on a bunch of them in the steady rain in Cleveland.

"I did not like overall the way we tackled," Spagnuolo said. "Way too many missed tackles. And that can't happen. It doesn't matter what the elements are or what the field's like. Guys have got to make those tackles. …

"I think the guys know exactly what the issues were, because we talk about it all the time. We're high on our tackles."

After watching the game film, Spagnuolo put together a clip of five or six tackles that he said were executed perfectly. He plans to highlight those when he meets with his defense today.

"I'm going to show them those first and say, 'Hey, let's just do this all the time,'" Spagnuolo said. "I don't think this is a major, major issue, because we have some prideful guys. We're doing things the right way; we've just got to do it all the time."

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Poor Tackling Concerns Spagnuolo

After watching the game film, Spagnuolo put together a clip of five or six tackles that he said were executed perfectly. He plans to highlight those when he meets with his defense today.

"I'm going to show them those first and say, 'Hey, let's just do this all the time,'" Spagnuolo said.
    I think little stuff like that is why he has the respect of his team. He manages to make his point while still focusing on the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I think little stuff like that is why he has the respect of his team. He manages to make his point while still focusing on the positives.
    I'm all for that method of leadership as long as it produces the necessarry results. The Rams, at the very least, have got to be able to make tackles when the opportunities are there. What good is effective pursuit, quick reactions or proper angles if you fail to wrap up?

It's simple, if you can't consistently make tackles, regardless of the conditions, you're not going to be a good defense. Let's hope they improve against New England.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm all for that method of leadership as long as it produces the necessarry results. The Rams, at the very least, have got to be able to make tackles when the opportunities are there. What good is effective pursuit, quick reactions or proper angles if you fail to wrap up?

It's simple, if you can't consistently make tackles, regardless of the conditions, you're not going to be a good defense. Let's hope they improve against New England.
    That game was the first time since Spags took over that I've seen really poor tackling. I remarked to my wife during the game that it reminded me of the Rams circa 2007. I'm not worried about it too much.

That game was the first time since Spags took over that I've seen really poor tackling. I remarked to my wife during the game that it reminded me of the Rams circa 2007. I'm not worried about it too much.
    I agree. Hopefully it was just an anomaly, but I see it the way Spags does, the elements should not matter, you have to make those tackles. I'm not going to get too worked up unless the trend continues against New England.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There were definitely some tackling issues. It seemed like Hillis and Stuckey just could not be brought down on first contact. I also don't buy the weather excuse; I think it was much more about angles and arm tackles than it was tackling a wet opponent. Hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

We have been one of the worst tackling defenses for a while now. Change will take time!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Interesting, in the first preseason game we tackled very well, not sure what to make of this but I guess we'll see thursday if this is a trend or a simple hiccup.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, I think that is a good approach. Sometimes it helps to be able to visualize exactly what the coaches want. That said, there's not a lot of excuse for poor tackling at the pro level. Tackling technique is one area of the game that isn't based on natural gifts.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

From what I saw, there was a combination of mental lapses leading to poor technique, and Hillis being a pumped up bowling ball. Watch the video; too many guys with hats on the wrong side, and bodies outside the carrier's path.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's pretty bad when playing tackle football that tackling is an issue!

C'mon RAMS let's go!

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Im just curious as to why this is even a problem? If anyone has heard of rugby, then you know that tackling is very important, and so many players choose to wrap up more times than not, because it may end in a score if they miss a big hit! NFL players seem too concerned about making the big hits. Or is it just many players cant wrap up, if so then they shouldnt be playing the game!!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its baffling that there are so many gafts in football fundimentals...you play the game for most of your life from high school on up; make it to the pros and somewhere along the line you loose the basics?!

Perhaps its a matter of aggression and heart that makes a good tackler or blocker. I am not sure yet if the Rams are not playing consistant with emotion yet.

Does any one or can anyone pointout any leaders yet on the defense or offense yet?

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I'm glad Spags is addressing this issue early in the season, poor tackling is an issue IMO across the entire league. Too many guys looking for that "Sportscenter" hit has ruined the fundementals of the game. Spags seems to have the attention of the team, hopefully they listen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I'm glad Spags is addressing this issue early in the season, poor tackling is an issue IMO across the entire league. Too many guys looking for that "Sportscenter" hit has ruined the fundementals of the game. Spags seems to have the attention of the team, hopefully they listen.
    You're absolutely right. In the Vikings game, which tackle got the most airtime? Answer...Larry Grant's hit on punt coverage. Leveled the guy. Was it a solid technique tackle? Flip no. He was just a flying burrito hurled at the ball carrier. Horrible technique. Had the ballcarrier been aware of Grant, he would easily have avoided the hit. But, it was a "decleater", so it made the headlines.

It's kind of sad.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast