Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Position Battles: Who Is The Greatest Rams RB?

Position Battles: Who is the greatest Rams RB?
    by VanRam on Jun 25, 2009 10:16 AM EDT

Now that there is virtually nothing going on in the world of football, I thought it would be a good time to dedicate a few posts to the history of the team. It seems especially pertinent as we wait out a the start of a couple new chapters in the team's history thanks to the front office/coaching changes and the "for sale" sign hanging out front. With a couple of long-time Rams nearing a special place in the team record book, I thought it would be a good time to go back and take a look at players at key positions, and start a conversation about which player is the all-time best. It's an arbitrary title, and that's the point.

Today, let's start with running backs. If you haven't heard that head coach Steve Spagnuolo plans to make RB Steven Jackson the centerpiece of the Rams offense this season, you've obviously been living under a rock. That means Jackson should rack up oodles of yardage, and hopefully touchdowns, that will vault him up the franchise leader board. We looked at Jackson's proximity to the franchise rushing records last month, but as a quick reminder a mediocre season will put him at third place on the all-time list. After the 2010 season, he will most likely be the Rams franchise record holded in rushing yards.

However, it's tough to make the argument, at this point, that Jackson's the greatest Rams RB of all time. With memories of Marshall Faulk still so vivid. Making Faulk's claim to the title even more impressive is the fact that he is fourth on the franchise list for total receptions with 470. That's still eons away from the numbers Holt and Bruce gave the Rams, but it speaks directly to Marshall's talent. Eric Dickerson, in addition to his wisdom of the LA football market, ran for 7,245 yards and 56 TDs, the most and second most in those two categories, in just 65 games with the Rams between 1983-1987. That's fewer games than anyone else among the top five names on the franchise leaderboard. Faulk played in 99 games, and Jackson has played in 69 thus far.

Five-time Pro Bowl RB Lawrence McCutcheon has to be in the discussion too. A member of those impressive 1970s teams known mostly for their fearsome defense, McCutcheon did the bulk of the offense's heavy lifting with his legs. Finally, though most of us would be too young to remember, Dick Bass played 112 games from 1960-1969, rushing for a team that never reached .500 until he was on the downhill side of his career.

That's an impressive group of names. Who will be your pick for the greatest Rams RB of all time?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Position Battles: Who Is The Greatest Rams RB?

1. Eric Dickerson
    2. Marshall Faulk
    3. Steven Jackson

....and how about the RB we let get away. Jerome "The Bus" Bettis!!!

GO RAMS!!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    1. Eric Dickerson
    2. Marshall Faulk
    3. Steven Jackson

....and how about the RB we let get away. Jerome "The Bus" Bettis!!!

GO RAMS!!!

I would swap Marshall and Eric, but that's just me.

Steven Jackson is a very good player too. He may not have the career numbers these guys do, but he is a very good player. Well deserved #3 spot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Eric Dickerson. To me, his greatness as a RB is, ironically, matched by how sad it was to see him leave. **SIGH**

What a joy it was to witness his speeding stride! 6-3, 225 lbs of pure, cutting power. Those long TDs, the records.

Goggles + number 29 + Rams uniform + smile x yards gained = m e l a n c h o l y
    memory

Last edited by RealRam; -06-29-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Pic

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's extremely tough for me to pick between Dickerson and Faulk. As a pure runner, Dickerson (who knows nothing about L.A. sports) had few, if any equals, but for a multi-purpose, multi-talented back, Faulk was in a class by himself. I guess I'd have to give the edge to Faulk, but it's a close call.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good point, Mike. Gauging and judging by what Marshall did as a receiver & blocker RB, it is a close match with ED for the greatest!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Dickerson and Faulk are clearly the front runners, as of now S-Jax isn't even in there league. I have to give the slight edge to Faulk because of the pure versatility and how he revolutionized the position making versatility a must when it comes to running backs.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Gaston Greene

curt Warner

Marshall Marshall faulk
    Last edited by bigtiger737; -06-29-2009 at 01:13 AM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk. He could do anything you wanted him to do and is the most complete runningback ever. He is also one of the smartest players to ever play the game.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

i dont think im able to comment on the Dickersons or McCuthcheons, but Faulk had what most coaches would, or should, say that particular thing you can NOT coach into a player.. Football smarts that allowed him to know where a defender was going to go, almost being able to control a tacklers every move...Faulk was something else & though Jackson is our guy, i really cant say i'd put him in front of Faulk with both being in their primes..

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk is the best all around RB in the history of the NFL, Eric Dickerson is the best runner in the history. Tough call but I would say Marshall is the first cause he was dangerous in so many ways and was so complete, even when he did not touch the ball he was good (one of the best blitz picking back).
    Dickerson was the old version of Adrian Peterson (it's better to say Peterson is the new version of Dickerson)
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Look at just running the ball and it has to be ED. However, factor in everything that makes a RB (all-around scoring & yardage, receiving, blitz pickup, ball protection, etc.), the spot goes to Faulk, hands down.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if, when it's all said and done 3 or 4 years down the road, Jackson rises above both.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree with you Hub. If you're going for a pure running back, and someone who you're comfortable giving the rock to time and time again Dickerson wins hands down. But Marshall helped to change the position and holds the record for most yards from scrimmage in a season EVER. Just by that stat alone, I have to give the win to Faulk. He's the most dynamic RB the game has ever seen.

RAMSY57 is offline Registered User

There's no doubt that Marshall Faulk was an outstanding rb on an outstanding offense. GSOT

When opposing defenses played the Eric Dickerson RAMS they knew it was going to be Dickerson right, Dickerson left, Dickerson up the middle but still couldn't slow the man down. He carried the RAMS offense literally.

My vote ERIC DICKERSON

We've been very fortunate to have 2 unbelievable RB's to debate back and forth. Steven Jackson just might make it a third.

GO RAMS!!!!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Look at just running the ball and it has to be ED. However, factor in everything that makes a RB (all-around scoring & yardage, receiving, blitz pickup, ball protection, etc.), the spot goes to Faulk, hands down.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if, when it's all said and done 3 or 4 years down the road, Jackson rises above both.
    Wow - quite a statement Hub.

Lord knows I hope you're correct, but I have to ask you this, (and believe me, this ain't an LA/St. Loo thing):

Did you ever actually watch ED run, or did you start following the Rams when they moved?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast