Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chiguy is offline Registered User

Positions I Feel Good About

The positions on the roster I feel OK about:

1. MLB. The kid is good.

2. Safety. Dahl has been good in Butler's absence.

3. Center. Not dominant, but he ain't the problem either.

4. Cornerback. We still need another one, but our CBs don't get embarrassed each week.

5. Number #2 Receiver. Between Robinson and Avery, one of them is bound to be good enough for that.

6. Defensive End. I don't feel great about this because of our lack pass rush, but our DEs have been good against the run. Long in particular looks like a good one against the run. I bet he'd get to the passer with real help elsewhere.

Positions I feel only so-so about:

1. DT. They're better this year, but dominant they ain't.

2. WLB. Witherspoon is fine, but he doesn't stand out like he did two years ago either. He isn't worth the big money he's getting paid, but at least he shows up and does his job.

3. RB. People will hate this being listed there, but I wonder how many more productive seasons Jackson will have and we have nothing behind. If he goes down, our offense would be beyond bad.

4. OT. Two first rounders starting (when Smith is healthy), but no dominance there. Jury is clearly out on Smith and Barron is at best mediocre.

The worst positions:

1. QB. Combine Boller's athleticism and moxie with Bulger's accuracy, and you'd have a decent quarterback. Sadly, they're separate people.

2. TE. McMichaels has the dropsies and Fells still can't earn starting time.

3. FB...unimpressed by Karney.

4. SLB. Lennon...no. Vorba...no. Grant? Probably not.

5. #1WR. Do we have an NFL #1 on the roster? I haven't seen him yet.

6. OG. Bell has been awful (RT next year?) and I don't understand anyone's fascination with Incognito.

Lange Guest

Re: Positions I Feel Good About

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    The positions on the roster I feel OK about:

1. MLB. The kid is good.

2. Safety. Dahl has been good in Butler's absence.

3. Center. Not dominant, but he ain't the problem either.

4. Cornerback. We still need another one, but our CBs don't get embarrassed each week.

5. Number #2 Receiver. Between Robinson and Avery, one of them is bound to be good enough for that.

6. Defensive End. I don't feel great about this because of our lack pass rush, but our DEs have been good against the run. Long in particular looks like a good one against the run. I bet he'd get to the passer with real help elsewhere.

Positions I feel only so-so about:

1. DT. They're better this year, but dominant they ain't.

2. WLB. Witherspoon is fine, but he doesn't stand out like he did two years ago either. He isn't worth the big money he's getting paid, but at least he shows up and does his job.

3. RB. People will hate this being listed there, but I wonder how many more productive seasons Jackson will have and we have nothing behind. If he goes down, our offense would be beyond bad.

4. OT. Two first rounders starting (when Smith is healthy), but no dominance there. Jury is clearly out on Smith and Barron is at best mediocre.

The worst positions:

1. QB. Combine Boller's athleticism and moxie with Bulger's accuracy, and you'd have a decent quarterback. Sadly, they're separate people.

2. TE. McMichaels has the dropsies and Fells still can't earn starting time.

3. FB...unimpressed by Karney.

4. SLB. Lennon...no. Vorba...no. Grant? Probably not.

6. OG. Bell has been awful (RT next year?) and I don't understand anyone's fascination with Incognito.
    I agree with you on a lot of those points except

Its hard to say Barron and Smith are mediocre when it just takes time to develop and they are coming along ok. Definatley not wowing in games but seem to be coming along ok. Wouldn't say "mediocre" at best.

I agree with you about depth behind Jackson. They would rather give Mike Karney carries than use Gado as a change of pace back. Idk much about Gado but he hasn't done a ton to impress.

Karney is doing just fine runs well and does fine at blocking. I think he's fine as the FB and the protection problems are way behind him.

MicMichael is definitely dropping a lot of balls. He's not seeming to be doing that very as a pass catcher and his blocking is fair and maybe questionable. Fells is showing he can catch well and a nice pass catch TE. "not earning starting time" meh he gets his time to go downfield for passes I wouldn't really point that out.

Vobora is injured so hard to make a judgement about him since he hasn't played much and Lenon has been ok but hard for me to personally say much cause I haven't noticed what he does.

Bell I agree about probably the worst starting linemen we have.

Also just to kinda touch on other things you said.

Boller has been decent other than the int and fumble in the last 1 games, idk why you said that, Bulger lets give him the year before we say he's bad either.

Ya good points but just my view compared to yours as a second opinion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd disagree on tight end. We don't have an Antonio Gates, but it seems like we're making a point of using two tight end sets to take advantage of our talent there.

Conversely, I'd downgrade our defensive ends to the so-so category. Yeah, they're hard workers, but I don't see us getting sacks without blitzing at this point.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

No hope for you that Laurent Robinson could end up being that guy?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I can agree Lenon is a bum and Bell and Cogs aren't good. The tackles have been OK, but Jason Smith hasn't been completely healthy. The WRs just like the rest of the team are young and improving. Burton had a good game and has the best hands on the team by far. Avery has improved of his horrendous start and is getting some yac. Amdendola is comming along, but he needs to hold on to the ball. McMike still droppin some balls, but he and Fells have been more affective in the passing game. S-Jax is a beast end of argument. DEs good against the run, but could do better as pass rushers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lange View Post
    Its hard to say Barron and Smith are mediocre when it just takes time to develop and they are coming along ok. Definatley not wowing in games but seem to be coming along ok. Wouldn't say "mediocre" at best.
    Well, remember that I'm talking about positions and not necessarily players. Until we see Smith do it consistently -- and I'm definitely hopeful on that score -- I don't think we can say we're comfortable with the position.

As for Barron...how much more time do you want to give the guy? He's not good enough to be a dominant LT and he's terrible at RT. My hope is that we try Bell out at RT, Smith at LT, and Greco at G and that miraculously gives a good line next year.

Vobora is injured so hard to make a judgement about him since he hasn't played much and Lenon has been ok but hard for me to personally say much cause I haven't noticed what he does.
    Vobora wouldn't be starting if we didn't have serious cap issues; Draft would be there instead. I'd be willing to bet that SLB is a position the staff wants to improve on and that its high on their list.

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    No hope for you that Laurent Robinson could end up being that guy?
    Not until he stays on the field enough for us to see if he can do it consistently.

mtah6245 is offline Registered User

I disagree with you on feeling good about Long. He has not produce and is a border line bust. He only had two tackles, no QB pressure, and no QB sacks and so far has been a big disappointment for being drafted so high. The Rams next year needs to draft
    or through free agency get a player who can put pressure on the opposing team qb.
    Last edited by mtah6245; -10-12-2009 at 07:59 AM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Vobora is not hurt. He is serving a suspension for violating the drug policy. The fact that he was the last player picked in last years draft and was starting for us speaks volumes about the dearth of talent we have at the position.

I agree with many of these assessments. Our defensive line needs to do a better job getting to the QB- it's as simple as that. We can talk all day about "Long occupying blockers", blah, blah, blah- but if you don't pressure the QB and get a couple of sacks from your defensive linemen each game he'll pick apart your secondary.

If the offensive line plays like it apparently did yesterday, we can move the ball and win. Problem is, they don't do it each week and suffer breakdowns and injuries. Without the line, nothing works offensively.

We need a feature receiver. Laurent Robinson did a solid job for us before the injury, but I do not believe he is a bona fide #1 guy. He is a good 2nd or 3rd receiver.

The QB situation has been discussed to death on multiple threads and need not be repeated. We need a QB who will be the face of the franchise for the next 10-12 years.

Very disappointed in the Mike Karney acquisition. Maybe I'm ignorant, but i looked at this guy as maybe a poor man's Mike Alstott. He's not even a poor man's Madison Hedgecock.

Laurinitis is a player. Love the guy. Defensively, we're not far away.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how anyone could look at Steven Jackson's stats and reach the conclusion that his lead blocker, Karney, is not doing his job.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

OK this is really PISSING me off.

have u watched a single Ram game this year?

Barron is stepping up and doing a great job.

Last week Allen had 4.5 sacks. This week Barron held him only 2 tckles none of them were a sack. I dont think he allowed a sack all year (correct me if im wrong i did not watch last weeks game)

Smith has been injured but he has been better than mediocre so far

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mtah6245 View Post
    I disagree with you on feeling good about Long. He has not produce and is a border line bust. He only had two tackles, no QB pressure, and no QB sacks and so far has been a big disappointment for being drafted so high. The Rams next year needs to draft
    or through free agency get a player who can put pressure on the opposing team qb.
    Borderline bust? Seriously? He had 40 tackles and 4 sacks as a rookie. He has 17 tackles so far in the midst of an abysmal start by the ENTIRE team. He definitely has improvements to make (as do most young players) but to say he has not produced and is a borderline bust is going a bit overboard in my opinion.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

eldfan is offline Registered User

TE. McMichaels has the dropsies and Fells still can't earn starting time.
    I agree on the WR no ture #1 they are all 2's or 3's IMO. McMichaels has been disapointing.
    :ramlogo:

dhaab Guest

I think folks are so infuriated by Barron and Incognito's stupid penalties in the past, that they overlook some of their positive play. I think both of them played really good games against the Vikings and I'm encouraged by that.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Jared Allen looks unstoppable right now, and for Barron to hold him in check like that is really a statement to the positive strides he has been making on the left side. I don't think Barron can be blamed for Allen's fumble return either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast