Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Positives and negatives of the 2nd preseason game/Korte Blog

August 18, 2008
    The positives and negatives of the second preseason game

Hereís a look at some of the good and not-so good things that came out of the Ramsí 7-6 win over the San Diego Chargers on Saturday night:

Positives
    1. The starting defense dug in and kept the Chargers out of the end zone despite having their backs put up against the wall after two interceptions by the offense.

2. Defensive end Leonard Little looked like his old self. Little, who is coming back from a foot injury that kept him out of the second half of the 2008 season, had a sack and got consistent pressure on the quarter. Many of the Chargersí starters sat out the game, but Little was going against their actual starting right tackle, Jeromey Clary.

3. Though they were without holdout running back Steven Jackson, the Rams were able to run the ball effectively. They had 183 rushing yards with Antonio Pittman leading the way with nine carries for 67 yards, an average of 7.4 yards per carry.

4. Tight end Randy McMichael had three catches for 54 yards, a sign that the Rams will make a greater attempt to utilize his receiving talents this season.

Negatives
    1. On a night when the Rams showed improvement in a lot of areas, quarterback Marc Bulgerís performance stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Bulger overthrew McMichael on his first interception and he underthrew Drew Bennett on his second interception. (Rams coach Scott Linehan put less blame on Bulger and more credit on Chargers cornerback Cletis Gordon for gambling and jumping the route on the second one.)

2. Left tackle Orlando Pace, still trying to shake off the rust after missing the better part of the last two seasons due to injury, allowed Chargers outside linebacker Jyles Tucker to get a hard blind-side hit on Bulger late in the first half.
    Pace tried to guide Tucker to the outside, but the second-year player simply shoved him back and then made a bee-line to Bulger.

3. The Rams had several dropped or tipped passes, including at least two by wide receiver Drew Bennett and one by tight end Joe Klopfenstein in the back of the end zone. Bennett needs to step up and make those catches this season.

4. Rookie defensive end Chris Long was credited with one tackle in film review by the coaching staff for the second straight game. The No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft has yet to get pressure on the quarterback, though he did make a nice hustle play down the field on his one takedown against the Chargers.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Positives and negatives of the 2nd preseason game/Korte Blog

I'm a little worried about Long too. I was hoping he'd be more game-ready at this point. Hopefully, he'll catch on real soon and won't need a year like the first pick of the Texans did. With the way Haslett likes to go into a shell in the second half, we're going to need constant pressure by our front four or our team will be dismantled in the second half of games just like they were last season.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

4. Rookie defensive end Chris Long was credited with one tackle in film review by the coaching staff for the second straight game. The No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft has yet to get pressure on the quarterback, though he did make a nice hustle play down the field on his one takedown against the Chargers.
    Gaines Adams had 4 tackles and 1 sack at this point, but he didn't play with the first string. Mario Williams played with the first string, but didn't record a tackle at this point. Gholston currently had 4 tackles and 0 sacks, but also against backups.

In 2006, Mark Anderson blew up as a rookie, but had nothing in the preseason. Same for Elvis Dumervil and Tamba Hali.

Again, I just don't know that we can look at preseason and determine how a rookie will perform.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Gaines Adams had 4 tackles and 1 sack at this point, but he didn't play with the first string. Mario Williams played with the first string, but didn't record a tackle at this point. Gholston currently had 4 tackles and 0 sacks, but also against backups.

In 2006, Mark Anderson blew up as a rookie, but had nothing in the preseason. Same for Elvis Dumervil and Tamba Hali.

Again, I just don't know that we can look at preseason and determine how a rookie will perform.
    I like to think of this as well when trying to stay positive about Chris, but none of the players you listed were dubbed as "most NFL ready" in the draft and none have the pedigree that Chris does. It is a bit disheartening to not see him get more pressure on the QB by this point and him being dominated against the run is not a good sign. Of course like you said, the regular season is a different beast and he may show something he hasn't so far. He might not want to tip his hand to film junkies but then again this is a guy who gives it his all every down so I don't expect him to be hiding any of his abilities so he can showcase them in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

I said I was a little worried- not panicking!!!

Like I said, I am more concerned with Haslett's passive play calling- especially in the second half of games and a Chris Long that can get to the QB will certainly be better than a Chris Long that can't.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Rookies are going to be overwhelmed at this point.

There's no surprise there.

Josh Guest

OMG!!!! We Should have drafted DARREN MCFADDEN!!! he is Goods he could do all of this by Himselfs!!! come on guys.. Chris long will be ok.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I really don't think that Chris Long's performance is going to be extremely critical to the success of this D-Line this season if we can stay healthy. James Hall looked like a monster against the Charger's, and if healthy, I think this guy can be a real factor. By all accounts, Adeyanju is also ready for a breakout season, and he looked solid in action against the Chargers, club and all. Little, well, will be Little, again, if he can stay healthy ...

I really don't think we should expect Long to be a solid everyday player this season. Looking at him, I really don't see how he can be effective against the run at all if he doesn't bulk up. Leonard Little is considered undersized, and he completely dwarfs Long, just look at their arms. He might be effective at times when rushing the QB, but I would really be surprised if Long gets more than 30 tackles and a handful of sacks this year. If he does, great. If he doesn't, it's not an issue, as look as he gives solid effort and continues to improve all year.

Honestly, if we are going to get production at that end slot, I think it's going to be Hall, not Long, at least, not for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Honestly, if we are going to get production at that end slot, I think it's going to be Hall, not Long, at least, not for the forseeable future.
    They've pretty much annoited Chris Long the starter tho- haven't they?

Just some physical stats for everyone's enjoyment- according to NFL.com!!!

James Hall- Height: 6-2 Weight: 280

Victor Adeyanju- Height: 6-4 Weight: 280

Leonard Little- Height: 6-3 Weight: 263

Chris Long- Height: 6-3 Weight: 263

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Just some physical stats for everyone's enjoyment- according to NFL.com!!!

James Hall- Height: 6-2 Weight: 280

Victor Adeyanju- Height: 6-4 Weight: 280

Leonard Little- Height: 6-3 Weight: 263

Chris Long- Height: 6-3 Weight: 263
    Looked like Hall was getting alot more reps to me, or either he was just around the ball on every snap ...

As for those stats, is Little is 263, Long isn't even 250 ....

So either Little is more than 263, or Long's weight is blown up big time ...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Looked like Hall was getting alot more reps to me, or either he was just around the ball on every snap ...

As for those stats, is Little is 263, Long isn't even 250 ....

Actually, Chris Long weighed in at 272 at the Combine, so that might be a little bit low for him unless he has lost weight since then.

Milan is offline Registered User

First year DLs hardly ever make an impact. I wouldn't be surprised to see Long with 3 sacks this year.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Long isn't even 250 ....

Huh? I certainly hope there's no friggin' way we draft this guy at number 2 if he's only a 250# pantywaist. I've grown tired of reading his alleged weights over the past few months. I remember when he was said to be 6'4" and 284, then 6'3" and 274, then 263, now you're tellin' me he's down to 250# and Leonard Little-the consummate speed rusher-"dwarfs him?!? I mean even Grant Wistrom was bigger than that. And now I'm reading that a perennial journeyman like James Hall may beat him out for the starting position? Please say it ain't so.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Huh? I certainly hope there's no friggin' way we draft this guy at number 2 if he's only a 250# pantywaist. I've grown tired of reading his alleged weights over the past few months. I remember when he was said to be 6'4" and 284, then 6'3" and 274, then 263, now you're tellin' me he's down to 250# and Leonard Little-the consummate speed rusher-"dwarfs him?!? I mean even Grant Wistrom was bigger than that. And now I'm reading that a perennial journeyman like James Hall may beat him out for the starting position? Please say it ain't so.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I was about 20 feet from Long at the Ram's/Titan's game, and maybe he lost mass in training camp, or what not, but he cannot hold Leonard Little's jock when it comes to muscle mass. Maybe Little has bulked up, but Long just doesn't have the typical DE type build. I think he will be very ineffective against the run at first ...

Look, here is my opinion on Long. He does not at this point excite me at all as a player. Is he a good guy? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. Is he a better player than James Hall at this point? No. He is currently a downgrade at the position. Until he proves otherwise, I don't see alot of excitement ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -08-19-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast