Molotov is offline Registered User

Positives Outweigh Negatives

I know everyone is extremely disappointed with the Rams showing on offense against the Vikings. But considering that is a very good defense, and the Rams are trying to move forward from a terrible season, I think the positives far outweighed the negatives.

First, the negatives:
    Jason Smith played very poorly
    Overall, the offensive line struggled mightily.
    The receivers still had trouble separating
    Not sure about Chris O. yet.

The positives:
    Saffold looked very good considering it was his first pro game
    Jerome Murphy is a player
    Our linebackers are very good.
    Our defensive line is solid. Scott and Ryan have stepped it up.
    George Selvie might have been the steal of the draft. He's a gamer.
    Did anyone notice how fluid and natural the TE HooChoo or whatever his name is looked?
    Bradford was deadly accurate when he had time.
    Danny is a great return guy.

If the OL gets it figured out, and Jackson stays healthy, this team is going to win some games. And we haven't seen Gilyard yet.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Positives Outweigh Negatives

" natural the HooChoo" aahahhaha ... but yeah I agree with you and on top of all of this, the WHOLE SECONDARY was out with injury.... so yes we got torched but Marquis Johnson was back there... I'm sure thats all I need to say.

Everything else looked good. The Defense did amazing against the run, pretty horrible in the pass..

The offense wasn't to impressive but like you stated we were missing Gilyard.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

It looks like Larry Grant has progressed quite nicely as the Rams new starting SLB.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

So far I have only watched the first half, but from what I can tell we were at least in the game during that time. Usually for preseason games I don't worry too much after the first half any way since that is scrub time...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

BEER is offline Registered User

Without the special teams play we acually lost 0 to 28. But I see your point.
    There are sssome positive points.

Also, keep in mind that the Vikings left a fairly accomplished and seasoned QB in for over 3 quarters, playing against 3rd string guys. Not sure that those long TD passes he threw really say much about our defense. Sage has played in more games than all of the Ram QBs combined!

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

At least one of the long TD throws was blown coverage. The most disconcerning thing I saw was Bradfords inability to handle a snap cleanly from under center. Maybe I'm overreacting but that seems like a huge problem for this offense.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    At least one of the long TD throws was blown coverage. The most disconcerning thing I saw was Bradfords inability to handle a snap cleanly from under center. Maybe I'm overreacting but that seems like a huge problem for this offense.
    Yeah, 1 snap out of what... 13? I'm sure he was a little nervous, it was his first snap.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Yeah, 1 snap out of what... 13? I'm sure he was a little nervous, it was his first snap.
    I agree. And he should be nervous, he's got thee worst O line in the NFL besides Tampa. This kid would take the colts, New England to the superbowl with those O lines and O line coaches.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    He only has what? Close to a month to and maybe more before he has to take a snap in a regular season game? Sure it's a problem, but not one to worry about until he starts doing it in the regular season. Seems silly to worry that he won't be able to learn to properly take a snap under center right now.

Something tells me our talented QB with an excellent work ethic, high intelligence and an accurate arm should be able to learn to handle a snap. It's a bit premature to worry about this. Still a long long time to go until the regular season. That is by far one of the easiest and least pressing issues the offense has.

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    I agree. And he should be nervous, he's got thee worst O line in the NFL besides Tampa. This kid would take the colts, New England to the superbowl with those O lines and O line coaches.
    You're reading too much of what the so called experts say. The Rams O-Line was top 15 last year at protecting the QB. And they are better this year.

I am referring to the guy that did a statistical analysis of EVERY sack last season, for every team. He placed the blame for each sack on either the QB, the O-Line, or coverage. He determined that the Rams O-Line was 12th best in the league.

It is a MYTH that the Rams O-Line is poor in pass protection, although they had a bad day against the Vikings.

MACD is offline Registered User

So was it the QB or the coverage that made it look like the Goths were sacking Rome...er, the Rams, last year?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    You're reading too much of what the so called experts say. The Rams O-Line was top 15 last year at protecting the QB. And they are better this year.

I am referring to the guy that did a statistical analysis of EVERY sack last season, for every team. He placed the blame for each sack on either the QB, the O-Line, or coverage. He determined that the Rams O-Line was 12th best in the league.

It is a MYTH that the Rams O-Line is poor in pass protection, although they had a bad day against the Vikings.
    To say the Rams had a bad day against the Vikings is quite the understatement. I don't recall any of those sacks with Bradford a receiver problem, or because he held the ball too long. Heck, he just barely took control of the ball from center before the defender got a hand on him on two of them. ....and I think that guy's analysis is seriously flawed if his analysis says the Rams oline was a top-tier line.

No, the Ram's O line has been bad for the past three years. Very bad.

Can they improve? Sure. ..and despite the horrific showing last Saturday, I think they will. ...if they stay healthy. But having two rookies (okay, a second year guy on one side) isn't a good thing. There will be veterans DE's lickin' their chops on the sight of those two on the ends. I would be very reluctant to call many 5-7 step drops with this kid, especially early on. You know that opposing teams will watch films of the Rams and blitz the snot out of them.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    So was it the QB or the coverage that made it look like the Goths were sacking Rome...er, the Rams, last year?
    Mostly poor decision making by the QB, and coverage (receiver's inability to separate). If you watched the PLAYS instead of simply observing the results, this would have been fairly evident to you. Bulger was probably to blame for half of the Ram sacks.

Still, the Rams OL was pretty good in that regard in the 2nd half of the season.