Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Is it possible that Sam...

Maybe it is our lack of receiving talent. However, I can't help but wonder.. Is it possible that Sam throws the ball too hard?

Now hear me out before you laugh. There seems to be a lot of balls bouncing off chests and going through hands. Is it possible that he needs to slow it down a bit and not fire lasers- on every throw? Especially on those short passes?

It has gotten to the point where if I see him put a light touch on it, it looks out of place. Has he always been like this in College? Or am I simply imagining things?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Is it possible that Sam...

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Maybe it is our lack of receiving talent. However, I can't help but wonder.. Is it possible that Sam throws the ball too hard?

Now hear me out before you laugh. There seems to be a lot of balls bouncing off chests and going through hands. Is it possible that he needs to slow it down a bit and not fire lasers- on every throw? Especially on those short passes?

It has gotten to the point where if I see him put a light touch on it, it looks out of place. Has he always been like this in College? Or am I simply imagining things?
    I brought this up about three weeks ago. And, yes, from the few shots of Sam in college that I have watched, he did the same thing...but seems better at it now.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

This is the National Football League. If the football hits you in the hands, you catch that football.

If Steve Largent read that post he'd probably barf all over his typewriter.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

There is a certain amount of touch that needs to be applied, but then again, Favre and Elway liked to hammer it in there, and they seemed to do alright for their careers.

I'd rather the receivers learn how to catch a hard pass than our QB learn how to throw a soft wobbler like Leinert.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

these aren't average joes. these dudes get paid to catch the ball, no exception. sam could place the ball better, but that will come with time as well with the lack of drops. they have to adjust to him, it's not really vice versa

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    This is the National Football League. If the football hits you in the hands, you catch that football.

If Steve Largent read that post he'd probably barf all over his typewriter.
    gotta go w/ DPs on this. When you make a mil or more a year to play games, there are no excuses. Catch the damn football.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Keenum is offline Registered User

No doubt he throws harder than most, but I think if the WRs can get use to it (which shouldn't take long at all... these guys are professional pass catchers!) it's really a good thing to have... less time the ball is in the air and less time for a defense to react. As said, it worked for Favre and Elway

supachump is offline Registered User

Yeah, these guys are supposed to be pros. I agree. But after watching Bradford fling it at bullet like speeds when the guy is only 5 yards away... well, a humans reaction time is only so fast.

Hopefully with time, the receivers will get better at anticipating the heat, and at the same time, maybe Bradford will slow it down just a touch when they are in close (I'm not talking much). That is part of his job too.
    Last edited by supachump; -10-12-2010 at 10:47 PM.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

A little of both, Rad Brad let off just a little... and receivers CATCH THE DARN BALL!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Yes, Sam can throw the ball hard. But that what QB's with good arms do. It's an asset that a guy like Alex Smith WISH he had.

The problem with Sam is he has to learn WHEN to throw the ball hard. I think he just gets too excited at times, and it shows in some of his throws. A few balls have sailed on him because of adreniline flowing through him. Especially when he has a guy open. You can almost see him rush the throw and put a little extra on it because he's so excited about making the throw.

This will go away with time as he gets more comfortable. His touch will improve over time. The other problem is his receiving corp has to learn to catch the damn ball. Only Amendola has show the soft hands and body control needed to be a good NFL reciever. Robinson, Gibson and Gilyard need to work on watching the ball into their hands and show a little more nerve over the middle.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

Did John Elway throw the ball too hard? This is the NFL and these are big boys, players catch the ball or they get cut for players who can catch the "hard" passes.

Throwing the ball "too hard" works both ways...sometimes the ball bounces off players and gets intercepted, sometimes the ball gets in a targeted players hands a millisecond before the defender does and you win the game.

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyLugNut View Post
    Huh? .

However, perhaps his mechanics are a bit off oweing to the fact that at OK, he was a shotgun QB full time. The footwork's all different under center and learning a new routine can be affecting his delivery. Dunno. But i'm not seeing anything of the Elway variety...i.e, throwing it so hard it hurts the hands.
    Wrong He wasnt shotgun fulltime...this place a excusemachine used to losing seasons ...its crazy
    Now your saying SB throws to hard. How much football have you guys played? one of the reasons he is so accurate is the speed in which he throws,QBs dream of being able to throw like Sam.... get some legit Wideouts as was Clayton and then whine about the speed in which the ball is delivered, Clayton never whined he step in step up and delivered....St Louis WRs suck other than Danny and Mark now Marks gone....Get some WRs

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Give the WR's baseball gloves. Sam should continue throwing full power if you ask me

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Sure he throws hard. Of the 6.8 Billion people on this planet, exactly 32 of them are starting QBs in the NFL. All 32 of them throw hard.

It's just a matter of touch. Bradford will learn it. The kid gets excited, and on some passes he gets a little too excited. You can see it when he sails a pass here and there.

He'll calm down. He'll learn touch. Again, he's played exactly 5 games at this level.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Sam doesn't throw the ball too hard, the only problem the Rams have is that Amendola and Clayton are the only two receivers we have that can catch the ball consistently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast