throwback week

Angry Post 5 reasons AGAINST Jason Garrett

Post 5 reasons Jason Garrett should not be the Head Coach of the Rams

thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Post 5 reasons AGAINST Jason Garrett

How about this... Here in San Antonio, TX, the local sports talk shows are *hoping* we take him. They are Cowboys fans and want him gone. I saw what he did with the "best team on paper". I don't want to see what he can do with the 31st team in record.
    This space for rent...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

1. He doesn't have enough experience to take over this mess (Frazier, Spagnulo, Ryan all have more experience)
    2. He won't be able to handle big star personalities like S-JAx (T.O., Roy Williams, and even Patrick Crayton was running the show)
    3. Rams need to rebuild defensively with a defensive coach (Rams defense has been horrible for a while no explanation needed)
    4. There are better options out there (while guys like Frazier Spags and Ryan improved there defenses statistically Garrett went backwards)
    5. Didn't do alot with elite talent in 2008 (offense ranked 13th with a great o-line great QB great WRs and TE, he did have some injuries, but the offense fell apart at the end of the year even when they were healthy)
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-17-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Rams infinit wanted reasons

Varg6 is offline Registered User

1. Anyone associated with Scott Linehan shouldn't even be considered.
    2. Again, didn't do much with elite talent in 08.
    3. If we're going to have a drastic change, this is not the route. Drastic is not hiring another offensive coordinator to be our head coach.
    4. He has little to no experience as far as I'm concerned. His offense hasn't been consistent enough for me to be excited about this hiring.
    5. Last but certainly not least, whether people believe this or not, fans do have an impact. We aren't stupid and we know this would be a bad move, and it would just make the selling of this team even more likely in the next year.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

1. Spagnoulo is better
    2. Gruden is better
    3. Fraiser is better
    4. Ryan is better
    5. Ryan is better
    6. Inanimate carbon rod is better

Oh, sorry, I was on a roll there.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

1. Id like to have something other then first or second pick next season
    2. Far less qualified as opposed to other candidates
    3. Can this kid fix a team in turmoil?? Oh wait as I recall he's gonna walk because the Boys' are in turmoil...
    4. Scott Linehan 2.0 as i like to call him
    5. I want to win multiple games this season...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Wow, this is shocking, and I hate to say, but some of this posts really put in to question some of you guy's credibility ...

I am sorry, but being associated with Scott Linehan, or previously being an OC/DC, is not a good reason for not having Garrett be our man. There was a post by HornIt about how OC's that become HC's end up having strong defensive teams, and vice versa ...

I don't know Dez's stance on this, so I don't want to assume, but I have a pretty good idea why he started this thread, and it was to prove a point ...

Fact is, I could make 5, 10, 20 reasons as to why any candidate should not be our coach. There are many many "reasons" listed above, with no credible explanation attached to them ...

Maybe we should do a 1000 word essay on who should be coach, with real reasons and explanations ...

Just because you can write a few reasons down on paper, doesn't mean you know the solution, or even understand the problem. This thread has proven that so far. You are not there during the interview process, you've never met these coaches face to face, you don't understand their personalities, or have a feel for how they deal with players. Fact is, they are all assistants, and they don't have the power and control over the players and face of the team like their respective head coaches do ...

Bash Garrett all you want, bash whomever. Fact is, he, or someone else, EQUALLY unqualifying is going to be our new head coach. Not a single one of them has head coaching experience, so what basis is there for judging their future as a head coach? It's about as accurate as whether or not that 1st round QB will pan out ...

So, suck it up, and prepare for a new era. It's really your only choice if you are a true Ram's fan. Otherwise, you can hit the door ...

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1. He doesn't have the experience for the job. He has less than half the coaching experience of any of the other finalists with a meager 4-year career as an NFL coach and no other coaching experience. This compares to Spagnuolo's 26-year coaching career with the last 10 years as an NFL coach just as one example. Not only is experience important in helping prepare a coach for the things he may encounter as a head coach, but it also gives a potential employer the chance to see whether he is able to sustain success over time.

2. His biggest claim to fame isn't that big. The highlight of his coaching career was turning an offense that put up 360.8 yards/game and 26.6 points/game into an offense that put up 365.7 yards/game and 28.4 points/game. Wow, from the 5th ranked offense to 3rd. What a remarkable turnaround.

3. His offensive schemes are uninspired. According to Ed Reed (link): "That was a real simple game plan that they attacked us with. I thought it would be more complicated, but it was a real simple game plan that they attacked us with. I mean we knew it. Looking at these coaches' openings and talking about a certain someone from Dallas, I'm like, 'Hold on now.'

It's just Garrett, Garrett, Garrett. I knew the plays we were going against. Maybe that was the game plan for us. But when you watch it on tape, it's not as complicated as I thought it would be. I'm surprised people want to fire Wade Phillips down there and he's the one calling the defense -- and the defense is successful. The guy who's calling the offensive plays isn't getting the same turnaround. Maybe it's the players."

Ray Lewis has also claimed it was one of the most simplistic schemes in the league.

4. We don't need a one trick pony. He has one real area of expertise (the quarterback position) at a time when we need significant improvement almost across the board.

5. Why pay more for less? It would actually cost more to sign him as the new head coach than the other more qualified candidates.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -01-17-2009 at 01:33 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

1. He lost control of his squad when adversity struck.
    This was the worst team in the league over the last two years. Adversity is going to strike. Considering the youth movement that is anticipated, losing control of the locker room could have a very negative impact on this franchise's future.

2. This will not quell the fan revolt.
    We want a defensive oriented coach. IIRC GMs are also responsible for ticket sales; perhaps Devaney should have considered that when making the hire.

3. He doesn't exactly have a large body of work.
    I would rather our coordinator-turned coach have a much longer career with a proven track record of success than Garrett. It's one thing to construct a decent offense in the regular season surrounded by talent, its another to do it without that talent.

4. Other defenses may indeed have caught onto his playcalling strategy.
    Remember what was said about Saunders' offense towards the end of the season? That the opponent's defense knew what he was going to call before he called the play? It sounds like Garrett's in the same boat. Do we want that?

5. With a new offense oriented coach, especially one whose only real success comes in the QB department, some "unfortunate" cap-killing decisions may be made with the #2 overall pick in April...such as Sanchez or Stafford.
    We can't afford a 1st Round Quarterback, especially in a weak year for quarterbacks overall and with so many holes elsewhere.

6. (Just for fun) He coached an offense and his presumptive DC coached a defense that lost to the Rams this year. This should automatically disqualify you IMO.
    Self explanatory. Teams with Super Bowl aspirations should never lose to teams that manage 2 wins all year. Dallas missed the playoffs because of this loss.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

SFCRamFan Guest

Thank goodness this speculation has been put to rest...