Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By general counsel

Thread: Post Combine Takes

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Post Combine Takes

Even though it's not wise to fall in love too much with a player solely from his combine numbers, the fact is, what happened this weekend in Indy will surely reshape draft boards, sending some highly rated guys into first round free fall, and elevating some second round guys into the top 32, and also showing that there will be plenty of raw talent in the mid rounds at some positions.

A couple guys ratde as top 10, even top 5 picks, defensive ends Bjorn Werner and DaMontre Moore, did not show well, and now seemingly could fall past even the Rams 22nd overall pick.

Unfortunately, both are undersized and fit best in a 3-4 scheme.

It's prety clear that there may not be a single RB in round one, and a QB before the Rams pick at 22.

It's clear that the WR and DB positions will show lots of talent through round three, maybe even four.

The showing of so many offensive linemen could mean that five tackles and two guards might go in round one.

Even if the Rams don't take one, the depth looks to find a solid option in round two at RT.

The top three DT will all go early, if Lutelelei is sound.

The best DE may be a 3-4 DE, Margus Hunt of SMU, "The Eastern Front" was terrific in Indy.

Sharrif Floyd now could be the second player drafted, if Jacksonville wants to keep the Florida guy at home to help sell tickets as well as anchor a rebuilding defense.

Dee Milliner solidified his spot in the top five, and the depth at the CB position could make only three, Milliner, Xavier Rhodes, and Desmond Trufant go in round one.

Jonathan Banks ran poorly, which may make speculation for him to move to safety more likely.

Matt Elam may have helped his stock as much as anyone, and now could be in play for the Rams at 16 or for sure 22. I want him to be a Ram badly.

Tavon Austin wowed everyone as expected, and he could now be gone before the Rams pick at 16, with miami, Buffalo, and Carolina all in need for a playmaking WR. Chances are Cordarelle Patterson, who was good, not great at the combine, will also be gone for the Rams.

Only T. Eiffert impessed at all as a TE, but not enough for me to see him as a Rams #1.

Manti Te'o is now out of round one, much like James Laurenaitis was.

The linebacker group showed some great athletes as usual, and the Rams could be forced to look very hard at either Khaseem Greene or Alex Ogletree with their #16.

I like Greene as a better fit outside in the 4-3.

In fact, if OT Lane Johnson, WR Patterson and Austin, and none of the top three DT fall, I would be all over Greene.

If I could come out of round one with Greene and Elam, if the WR and OT groups were depleted of worthy talent, I would be happy.

Both are big, stong, fast, and productive college stars from good schools. Neither has any character negatives.

This is my "Worst Case scenario" mock draft

1. KC L. Joeckel OT
    2. Jax - S. Floyd DT
    3. Oak. S. Lutelelei DT
    4. Phil - E. Fisher OT
    5. Det D. Milliner CB
    6. Clev - C. Warmack G
    7. Az - J. Jones OLB
    8. Buff - D. Jordan OLB
    9. NYJ - B. Mingo OLB
    10. Tenn - L. Johnson OT
    11. S.D. J. Cooper G
    12. Mia - C. Patterson WR
    13. T.B. S. Richardson DT
    14. Car T. Austin WR
    15. N.O. X. Rhodes CB
    16. Rams - K. Greene OLB
    17. Pitt - E. Lacey RB
    18. Dall - E. Ansah DE/OLB
    19. NYG - D. Trufant CB
    20. Chi - A. Ogletree ILB
    21. Cinc - B. Werner DE
    22. Rams - M. Elam -S

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I like Greene and Elam, but can the Rams afford to use both first round picks on the defense?
    live4ramin likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Post Combine Takes

I just can't see Arizona picking up anything else besides QB or OL with the 7th pick. Also, I'm in love with Warmack as much as anyone else in this draft, but drafting an OG that high in the draft just never happens. Who knows though, this just might be one of those weird drafts lol

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I just can't see Arizona picking up anything else besides QB or OL with the 7th pick. Also, I'm in love with Warmack as much as anyone else in this draft, but drafting an OG that high in the draft just never happens. Who knows though, this just might be one of those weird drafts lol
    I think it also helps that castro stood up to his task last year. Makes it easier for womack this year to get drafted high

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barry, so you like elam better than vaccarro. Can you tell us why? Also, can you give us your view on Fluker (is it as simple as you like the depth for RT purposes)

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Also, I'm in love with Warmack as much as anyone else in this draft, but drafting an OG that high in the draft just never happens.
    True. But there's not a Warmack in every draft either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Barry, I'd like to ask you the same question as General Counsel about Vaccarro. I too was impressed with Elam, but to have him going ahead of Vaccarro may be a reach. As good as he was he's a late first/early second round pick in the minds of many "experts". Vaccarro who didn't hurt himself at the Combine has been slotted at early as 12 (Miami) and 14 (Carolina). Your thought about Greene for us at 16 is possible based on value, I'm just not sure the Rams who play the 4-3 value the OLB that high, especially over offensive playmakers whom we desperately need.

I do agree with your thoughts about Warmack going in the Top 10. His value is there and this year with the potential absence of QB's in the top 10 make that a real possibility. I do agree with Vinnie25 that AZ isn't likely to draft anything other than QB or OL. If you have the Bears taking Ogletreee, what are thoughts concerning Urlacher? They took a OLB last year and need some OL help to protect Cutler.

Go Rams!

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Did Cyprian work out? I heard this guy was potentially the second coming of Toby Wright. A new thumper in the making.