Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Post-Dispatch 7/31 Rams Reports: Bradford debut, Scott injured, Grant @ WLB

Rams Report: Relieved Bradford makes training camp debut
    By BILL COATS | Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:38 pm

The Sam Bradford Era at Rams Park officially began at 2:53 p.m. Saturday, when the No. 1 overall pick in the draft and newly minted multimillionaire strolled by himself onto the practice field, pulled on his blue helmet with the gold horns and started stretching.

Bradford, who signed a six-year, $78 million contract less than an hour earlier, was warming up for his first real NFL training camp practice with the St. Louis Rams. That the paperwork finally was complete and he was there for the initial full-squad session came as a great relief, he said later.

"You have absolutely no idea," he said. "It’s probably been the biggest relief since draft night. To have the contract done, I just felt like there was a huge weight off my shoulders."

The waiting, Bradford conceded, was difficult. "That’s what was really nerve-wracking," he said. Agent Tom Condon "would tell me, ‘We’re getting ready to go into a meeting. I’ll call you afterwards.’ And it would be four or five hours and I’m doing nothing but looking at the phone. . . .

"Then five hours would go by and I wouldn’t hear anything and then he’d call and be like, ‘Maybe tomorrow.’ That was really frustrating at times.”

Bradford worked mostly with the No. 2 offense Saturday, although he took a few snaps with the first unit.

"It was great," Bradford said. "I felt very comfortable, more comfortable than I did during OTAs, which is a positive sign after taking four or five weeks off. So I felt like it was a good day today.”

Rams Report: DT Scott injures hamstring
    By BILL COATS | Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:48 pm | 1 Comment

Second-year defensive tackle Darell Scott sat out Saturday's first full-squad training camp practice after injuring his right hamstring earlier in the day during a running test for the St. Louis Rams.

Also sidelined was safety Darian Stewart, who sprained his right shoulder Friday. Both players are day-to-day, according to coach Steve Spagnuolo.

Tackle Jason Smith (toe) and guard Roger Allen (knee) did individual work only. Running back Steven Jackson (back) and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (shoulder) were slightly limited.

Rams Report: Grant with first team at WLB
    By BILL COATS | Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:54 pm | No Comments

In a bit of a surprise, Larry Grant was at weakside linebacker with the St. Louis Rams first-team defense in Saturday's practice. Bobby Carpenter had manned that spot during most of the spring workouts.

"Larry will roll in there, and Bobby will," coach Steve Spagnuolo explained. "Larry also jumps over to (strongside) linebacker. In this league, those outside linebackers have to be pretty versatile. They’ve got to be able to play both sides."

With Jason Smith (toe) sitting out, Adam Goldberg was at tight tackle and rookie Rodger Saffold lined up at left tackle. Hank Fraley was at right guard with the "ones."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

molar_pistol Guest

Re: Post-Dispatch 7/31 Rams Reports: Bradford debut, Scott injured, Grant @ WLB

i'm intrigued by larry grant playing with the starters, maybe he has improved. he has always struck me as kind of a play making linebacker, a guy that can force turnovers but he was maybe lacking a little bit in discipline and fundamentals in other areas. if he turned the corner there he could be an important member of our team.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Yep, another Ohio State LB replacing yet another Ohio State Lber. By last count we've got 4 Buckeye LBers competing for spots on this here team. They include:
    1.) J. Laurenitis
    2.) Na'il Diggs
    3.) Bobby Carpenter
    4.) Larry Grant

This has gotta be a record for the Rams!!

WHAT SAY YE?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

4 OSU linebackers? Thank goodness we're not the Lions. The Michigan fans would probably riot!
    I believe!

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

It's my opinion that Grant could be the outside rusher we've been looking for. But I wouldnt write off Carpenter just yet. It could be that they both rotate in on certain downs, Capenter playing more coverage and Grant bringin' the blitz.

Parcells wanted Carpenter, and Parcells is a very good judge of LB talent. And the Rams have had pretty good luck with trades so far. What I want to know is where does Vobora stand in all of this? I was kinda rootin' for the guy.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    What I want to know is where does Vobora stand in all of this? I was kinda rootin' for the guy.

Standing behind Diggs-for now. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if/when Vobora gets back into the starting lineup.

Wasn't he behind Chris Draft about this time last year? This guy has been counted out more times than a punch-drunk prize fighter and yet he keeps on keeping on.

He is fast becoming one of my faves on the Rams.

BTW I recall reading somewhere that he was credited with only one missed tackle all of last year. Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me.

Here's to "Mr. Irrelevant" becoming relevant again-in the starting lineup!!.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Wasn't he behind Chris Draft about this time last year?
    Draft started camp last year as the starting middle linebacker, ahead of James Laurinaitis. Vobora and Larry Grant were sharing first team reps at SAM linebacker. Vobora wasn't officially named the starting SAM linebacker until Draft was released prior to the regular season when he wouldn't take a paycut.

Mike posted this article here at the Clan at the time that kind of describes the situation...

Vobora Steps Into Starting Role
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Parcells wanted Carpenter, and Parcells is a very good judge of LB talent.
    I agree, Parcells is a good judge of talent. However, also factoring into that pick is that Parcells coached BC's old man. So there's a prior relationship that played into that pick as well.

Hopefully, Parcells saw a stud 4-3 LB in Carp, and not just the son of a buddy. I think Parcells knew Carp was a good LB; I'm sure he will be proven right here with the Rams.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-03-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod