Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Post-Draft Pearls of Bernie Wisdom

On the surface it appears that they addressed some needs.

I'm not one of these guys who claim to know how a draft turned out one day after it ends, but this one seems promising.

I don't hate anything they did. I don't care if they took a character "risk" in Round 3, because pro sports teams draft anyone they think can help them win, and it's a business. I'm cynical about these things now. Pro teams will do what it takes to win. The Rams are no different, and my naivete disappeared a long time ago, whether it be the Lawrence Phillips pick, or the Leonard Little situation. I've accepted that the pro sports world is mercenary.

I really like Cutler, so I am admittedly concerned that this will come back to haunt them. But who the heck knows?

One of the best things that happened this weekend was dumping the driftwood that is No. 86.

Linehan is doing a swift and effective job of clearing the Martz pets out of Rams Park, striving to replace them with guys who can actually fill a meaningful role on the roster.

Forward steps were taken this weekend.

Thanks for asking for my opinion.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm excited about these two rookie TEs.
    Byrd -- can he stay healthy?
    Can the Klopper block consistently enough?
    Only real questions I have.

But Linehan is big on using TEs in the passing game, and a couple of smooth running TEs who can get downfield and stretch the defense will be a potentially HUGE benefit for this scheme ... making it even better for Ike and Torry and KC.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Charley Armey

Yes, I believe it will be CA's last draft.
    Nothing is 100 percent, however.

Not sure how they will restructure.

They will also be looking to hire a pro personnel guy.

Re: Does Tony Palmer have a chance?

I hope so... quality individual.
    But they also drafted a G in front of him.
    If nothing else, the overly large Claude T will see there's a push behind him and get himself in tip-top shape.

--B

Re: Fisher

Haslett is way down on Fisher -- and Fisher obviously has taken notice.

That's OK -- let him squirm. Earn a job. He's been out of shape, and he should be concerned. No more freebie starter jobs.

--B

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Post-Draft Pearls of Bernie Wisdom

bernie think hes always right which makes him an arrogant you know what... be happy with the picks

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its funny - Bernie keeps mentioning he's engaged, but when it comes to analysis, he seems to have a pronounced fear of commitment.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    I'm ...I ... I .... I'm ... my ... I've ...I ... I ... my opinion.
    ...I'm ... I ...I ...I ...

--B
    Here's the Cliff's Notes version.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Dad gum, Bernie pretty much said the same things we have (except maybe for Cutler) and he still gets reemed. Shoot, I think some of you prefer KFFL to Bernie.

Now there's a joke. KFFL.

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Dad gum, Bernie pretty much said the same things we have (except maybe for Cutler) and he still gets reemed. Shoot, I think some of you prefer KFFL to Bernie.

It's part jealousy, and part that Bernie, like all professional sports writers, sometimes says some stupid, or inaccurate things.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I, for one, am not jealous of Bernie. Quite frankly, I would not want his job. I prefer a job that a trained monkey could not do.

The fact of the matter is, Bernie does have good sources and, at times, shows some insight. My problem with Bernie is his constant need to make himself part of the story. By patting himself on the back when he gets something right, he opens himself up to criticism when he gets something wrong (which he virtually never admits).

Well, he does have an ego. However, his great for the St. Louis community. Always willing to do charity work, always promoting local events and has a great pulse on the HS sports in St. Louis which as the top sportswriter in metro city, that is a very rare quality. Most allow junior beat writers to cover HS but Bernie stays on top of it.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan

Well, that's just the thing. Why bother with a sportswriter if he can't provide any insight that isn't what the fans are already saying?

Why should we bother reading an article that says I'm not going to judge anything the Rams did, but they appear to have addressed their needs? I could spend two seconds on NFL.com's draft tracker and find out more about our draft than that. I haven't read enough of Bernie's stuff to have a strong opinion on his writing generally, but that write up offers zero insight.

actually, that isn't an article fleece, I'm sure that came from the Bernie PressBox at the St Louis Post website.