Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Post-Draft Roster Evaluation - Have The Rams Improved?

Quarterback
    2005: Bulger, Martin, Fitzpatrick
    2006: Bulger, Frerotte, Fitzpatrick
    I think Frerotte is a much better backup than Martin. Hopefully, he won't have to prove it. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Running Back/Fullback
    2005: S.Jackson, M.Faulk, Harris, Hedgecock
    2006: S.Jackson, M.Faulk, Fisher, Hedgecock
    Faulk is a year older with more wear and tear on his knees. Jackson should benefit from having a year as a starter under his belt. Fisher is an upgrade over Harris. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Wide Receiver
    2005: Holt, Bruce, Curtis, McDonald, Looker
    2006: Holt, Bruce, Curtis, McDonald, Looker
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. [NO CHANGE]

Tight End
    2005: Brandon Manumaleuna, Cam Cleeland
    2006: Joe Klopfenstein, Dominique Byrd
    While its hard to project rookies, this unit was so unproductive last year its hard to imagine anything less than a big upgrade. [SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT]

Offensive Line
    2005: Pace, Barron, McCollum, Timmerman, Terrell, Sapaia, Willig, Tucker
    2006: Pace, Barron, McCollum, Timmerman, Terrell, Incognito, Steussie, Sapaia
    The five starters who ended last year are back. The difference is the addition of Steussie, Incognito returning to health, and the addition of some late round and UFA prospects. Also, Barron and Terrell will hopefully improve with experience. Slight improvement on paper, but significant improvement is possible. [SLIGHT IMPROVMENT]

Defensive Line
    2005: Little, Hargrove, Green, Kennedy, Pickett, Lewis, T.Jackson
    2006: Little, Hargove, Kennedy, Glover, Wroten, Adeyanju, Green
    Pickett is the most significant offseason loss, but that is offset by the addition of Glover and Wroten. Hargrove is an improving player, but Kennedy is the key. Depth should be better overall. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Linebackers
    2005: Coakley, Claiborne, Tinoisamoa, Chillar, T.Faulk, D.Wahlroos
    2005: Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa, Chillar, R.Smith, Coakley, Altson
    Witherspoon is a major upgrade over Claiborne. The SLB position is still a question mark, so the unit as a whole is not necessarily significantly improved. Alston is the wild card here.[SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Defensive Backs
    2005: Fisher, Ivy, Bartell, C.Johnson, Groce, Archuleta, Furrey, Carter, Atogwe
    2006: Butler, Brown, Hill, Groce, Chavous, Carter, Atogwe, Bartell
    The additions of Hill, Brown and Chavous, along with the return of Butler and the expected improvement of Bartell and Atogwe should make for a much better unit. [SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT]

Special Teams
    2005: Wilkins (K), Barker (P), McDonald (PR), C.Johnson (KR), D.Allen (KR/PR)
    2006: Wilkins (K), Turk (P), Hagans (PR/KR), McDonald (PR), Pyatt (KR)
    Anything should be better than last year's parade of horribles at punter and in the return game. Still, would have liked a better punter than the ancient Turk. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Overall, what I see is not a lot of dramatic moves, but consistent improvement throughout the roster. There are a lot of players who could be "lightning in a bottle" for the Rams, along with several solid veteran additions.

Mix in a new coaching staff and (knock on wood) some good health, and the Rams should be ready for a big turnaround in 2006.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-02-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Post-Draft Roster Evaluation - Have The Rams Improved?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Quarterback
    2005: Bulger, Martin, Fitzpatrick
    2006: Bulger, Frerotte, Fitzpatrick
    I think Frerotte is a much better backup than Martin. Hopefully, he won't have to prove it. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Running Back/Fullback
    2005: S.Jackson, M.Faulk, Harris, Hedgecock
    2006: S.Jackson, M.Faulk, Fisher, Hedgecock
    Faulk is a year older with more wear and tear on his knees. Jackson should benefit from having a year as a starter under his belt. Fisher is an upgrade over Harris. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Wide Receiver
    2005: Holt, Bruce, Curtis, McDonald, Looker
    2006: Holt, Bruce, Curtis, McDonald, Looker
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. [NO CHANGE]

Tight End
    2005: Brandon Manumaleuna, Cam Cleeland
    2006: Joe Klopfenstein, Dominique Byrd
    While its hard to project rookies, this unit was so unproductive last year its hard to imagine anything less than a big upgrade. [SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT]

Offensive Line
    2005: Pace, Barron, McCollum, Timmerman, Terrell, Sapaia, Willig, Tucker
    2006: Pace, Barron, McCollum, Timmerman, Terrell, Incognito, Steussie, Sapaia
    The five starters who ended last year are back. The difference is the addition of Steussie, Incognito returning to health, and the addition of some late round and UFA prospects. Also, Barron and Terrell will hopefully improve with experience. Slight improvement on paper, but significant improvement is possible. [SLIGHT IMPROVMENT]

Defensive Line
    Pickett is the most significant offseason loss, but that is somewhat offset by the addition of Glover and Wroten. Hargrove is an improving player, but Kennedy is the key. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Linebackers
    Witherspoon is a major upgrade over Claiborne. The SLB position is still a question mark, so the unit as a whole is not necessarily significantly improved. Alston is the wild card here.[SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Defensive Backs
    2005: Fisher, Ivy, Bartell, C.Johnson, Groce, Archuleta, Furrey, Carter, Atogwe
    2006: Butler, Brown, Hill, Groce, Chavous, Carter, Atogwe, Bartell
    The additions of Hill, Brown and Chavous, along with the return of Butler and the expected improvement of Bartell and Atogwe should make for a much better unit. [SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT]

Special Teams
    2005: Wilkins (K), Barker (P), McDonald (PR), C.Johnson (KR), D.Allen (KR/PR)
    2006: Wilkins (K), Turk (P), Hagans (PR/KR), McDonald (PR), Pyatt (KR)
    Anything should be better than last year's parade of horribles at punter and in the return game. Still, would have liked a better punter than the ancient Turk. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Overall, what I see is not a lot of dramatic moves, but consistent improvement throughout the roster. There are a lot of players who could be "lightning in a bottle" for the Rams, along with several solid veteran additions.

Mix in a new coaching staff and (knock on wood) some good health, and the Rams should be ready for a big turnaround in 2006.
    basically a perfect evalution, I totally agree with most of it, I think some of the slight improvements were more than just that, and also, ya never with all those new guys how they'll respond to the new coaches, so we should evaluate at the end of the 06' season to see how close this chart is to the actual thing, but I still loved it, awesome post bro

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nice break down AV.

Defensive Line
    Pickett is the most significant offseason loss, but that is somewhat offset by the addition of Glover and Wroten. Hargrove is an improving player, but Kennedy is the key. [SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT]

Defensive Line I upgraded to IMPROVEMENT. The fact that Little missed games last year; Glover is a vet that still has some game left. Wroten is the steal of the draft, if he grows up can have an impact more so the D Lewis. The addition of Adeyanju will put the heat on Hargove, he has got better every year. Kennedy has had flashes at times, DT takes a few years to play at this level, and he should be good to go.

Linebackers

Linebackers I upgraded to IMPROVEMENT, Witherspoon was in the top three FA and the best defensive players on the market this was a hugh singing. He is in his prime and is the real deal; I agree he is a MAJOR UPGRADE. Chilliar is going to be the x factor, but when Chillar is on the field he always seems to make plays. Chilliar is a big hitter and is hungry. I don’t think he will let this opportunity slip by. Scheme alone will make these guys better.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-02-2006 at 12:11 PM.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

AV - I like the analysis and I agree for the better part, if the point was to address how things look on paper ..."body for body". Obviously, we won't know if there has been a real improvement in - on the field -performance for sometime.

With that said, I would say that I think the improvement at linebacker is greater than "slight" and that the net improvement at tight end is "possibly negative". As you said, you can't predict rookie play yet and Cleeland did make some very important catches in the past. I am not a Manu fan, but he has provided a spark (albeit small) from time to time and he even made a block once. I might call the tight end situation "too early to tell" or even.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Well "AV" this is a great post and wonderful break down I completely agree with your break down ...

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Great post AvengerRam. I agree not alot of appearing great improvements. But in my opinion we'll notice great improvements by the team next season!
    RamsFan16

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i agree with this too and the rams have really improve since the release of martz!
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -05-02-2006 at 05:45 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Very good assessment that keeps things in proper perspective. Too many unknowns to get overly excited. Avoiding injuries and having guys step up and play to their potential will be big keys. I see improvement that I hope translates to the field.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'm not sure special teams or defensive line improved, it's tough to call, but on paper I would call them "roughly the same". I agree with the rest of your evalutations though, and I think the team should be improved overall, especially with a real defensive scheme now, rather than last year's Marmielade crap.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

AV,
    You have Fitzgerald as out 3rd QB. I am wondering if that may be a premature choice. With the addition of our new QB coach, I believe Smoker is still in the mix. Smoker played for him in college, so they know each other very well. One other thing about Fitz. He was Martz's guy. With the way things are going, those type of players seem to be an endangered species. Your thoughts?
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 1st & Goal
    You have Fitzgerald as out 3rd QB.
    do you mean fitzpatrick?

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

INHO the single biggest upgrade is coaching.Linehan seems to be more of a true team coach already. Focusing on the over all team. New schemes could make players that once looked confused, now look like pro bowl canadites.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I don't know about anybody else, but from what I've seen of McGrigle, he's my suprise at LB. He looks like the best value pick of the Rams draft to me.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Our defense is definitely improved, which will hopefully translate to better field position.

Special teams is still a mystery. Have to see what they do with it first. This is also critical to improved field position.

We have great talent at the skill positions, but the offensive line still concerns me without veteran new blood brought on board.

I like the fact that we are sailing under everyone's radar as far as being "one of the teams to contend" for next year. I'm more optimistic than I was at the end of last year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

While Smoker is in the running, I think Fitzpatrick is the front runner right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast