View Poll Results: How did the Rams do in the 2014 NFL Draft?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: St. Louis knocked it out of the park this year!

32 39.51%
  • B: The Rams did very well and mostly added a lot of great talent.

38 46.91%
  • C: They did okay in this draft, I guess. Some good, some bad.

10 12.35%
  • D: The Rams did not have a good draft this year. I'm disappointed.

1 1.23%
  • E: This was an awful draft for St. Louis.

0 0%
  • F: I'm taking this opportunity to announce I'm a Whiner fan.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Rounds 1-4 are "da bomb" and we got our QB to develop so we shall see there - No one will make the team in round 7.
    not necessarily true,

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Went into this draft with 3 needs. OL, S & #1 WR... Only filled one but the price of Donald cost us the safety. Gave them a did well because I love the Donald pick and can wait another year for that safety. The DB's & Safeties we did take are adequate. None of them really impress me too much...Really like the Tre Mason pick as he I believe he will challenge Stacy for the starting spot. Gilbert has size but thats about it. Know we had to take a QB but it was too late. Give them a good grade for taking Sam in the 7th. Co SEC defensive player of the year. Nice pick.... All in All I'm happy and can't wait for the season to get started....
    We don't need a receiver, we have more than adequate players at receiver. I think we all wouldn't mind having a big body receiver but remember we won the Super Bowl and appeared in a second with no receivers over 6 feet.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Voted B as an overall average score. I know little to very little of the 4th to 7th round players, i.e., went mostly by their NFL Draft Profiles.

1) 1.2: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn ..................... A+
    2) 1.13: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.................. A+
    3) 2.41: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State......... A
    4) 3.75: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn........................... B-
    5) 4.110: Mo Alexander, S, Utah State................. B
    6) 6.188: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri........................B-
    7) 6.214: Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU....................... C
    8) 7.226: Mitchell Van Dyk, OT, Portland State....... C+
    9) 7.241: Christian Bryant, S, Ohio State................B-
    10) 7.249: Michael Sam, DE, Missouri..................... [Don't care for this one (my personal convictions)]
    11) 7.251: Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State..C-

I think we have three very solid, highly promising picks in the Rams first three drafted players (the obvious, of course): G. Robinson, A. Donald, and L. Joyner. I look forward to learning how Mason, RB; Alexander, S; Gaines, CB; Van Dyk, OT; and Bryant, S perform in TC and how they will be graded through preseason.

Feel real good about this Rams draft for their top 5 picks. Then somewhat intrigued about Van Dyk and Bryant.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Extremely happy - they chose tough, hard nosed players. They have an infusion of talent. There's enough talent at the WR spot to be successful, those players just need time to mature. In the meanwhile they'll destroy the other teams QB and overwhelm their defensive line. If the Rams are healthy this year, they might just sneak into the playoffs a year earlier than I anticipated.

Great draft.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Good stuff.......

8.5/10

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    We don't need a receiver, we have more than adequate players at receiver. I think we all wouldn't mind having a big body receiver but remember we won the Super Bowl and appeared in a second with no receivers over 6 feet.
    If you think we have a #1 guy you are sadly mistaken my friend. I believe we just fall short of getting into the next level. I love Austin & Bailey but we are still in need of that one guy to put us over the top...
    Fargo Ram Fan and SimSportPl like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

RamsFanSam, thanks for closing the "other Sam" thread!

vanillasue is offline Registered User

I was hoping to hear more about our day 3 draft picks from Snead/Fisher on the press conference especially the safety we drafted from USU in the fourth round, but we only heard about one day 3 pick. Alexander looks like he will be able to help us.

Our organization decided to introduce a major distraction to help the NFL save face in the press due to political correctness. Now we have to deal with this distraction for God knows how long. And for those that don't think this is a distraction then watch that press conference and notice that is all they talked about. Nothing about our other picks on day 3.

Always a mistake to have distractions when you are trying to get focused on winning a championship. Ask Larry Bird when the racism issue came up with Isiah Thomas while they were playing for the championship with the Lakers. Lost the next game big and ended up losing the championship.

We didn't start out to well to open the season last year. Good Lord - what the hell are we doing ?

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Voted B as an overall average score. I know little to very little of the 4th to 7th round players, i.e., went mostly by their NFL Draft Profiles.

1) 1.2: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn ..................... A+
    2) 1.13: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh.................. A+
    3) 2.41: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State......... A
    4) 3.75: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn........................... B-
    5) 4.110: Mo Alexander, S, Utah State................. B
    6) 6.188: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri........................B-
    7) 6.214: Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU....................... C
    8) 7.226: Mitchell Van Dyk, OT, Portland State....... C+
    9) 7.241: Christian Bryant, S, Ohio State................B-
    10) 7.249: Michael Sam, DE, Missouri..................... [Don't care for this one (my personal convictions)]
    11) 7.251: Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State..C-

I think we have three very solid, highly promising picks in the Rams first three drafted players (the obvious, of course): G. Robinson, A. Donald, and L. Joyner. I look forward to learning how Mason, RB; Alexander, S; Gaines, CB; Van Dyk, OT; and Bryant, S perform in TC and how they will be graded through preseason.

Feel real good about this Rams draft for their top 5 picks. Then somewhat intrigued about Van Dyk and Bryant.
    Really thought that Demetrius Rhaney was a decent pick. I believe his quickness and versatility and ideal size at center could very well push Barnes out as backup center this season and he may eventually end up the starter in the near future.
    Mikey likes this.
    Semper Fi!

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

I think you guys had a great draft, probably the best in the NFCW. (Damn!) I think you guys could very well improve to 2nd in the division this year.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

LOL...ok...I think we had a good draft addressing immediate concerns. We shored up the O line and took our D line from great to out of this world. My only concern with UDFA an late pics (that we cant talk about in the Clan forums) is how do they address needs not solidified through free agency and need filling pics.

Humm ..ok this is on topic...didn't mention you know who....didn't give a conspiracy theory or opinion..I just asked a forum question....

demiurge is offline Registered User

An extremely non-controversial player and a giant guy named Dyk?

<Lou Brown>Its my kind of team, Charlie. My kind of team... </Lou Brown>

Seriously, huge infusion of talent. The team that comes out of the West is going to be the super bowl favorite for the next few years.

I see absolutely no reason why that can't be the Rams sooner, rather than later.
    Richbert88 likes this.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

I see where the Rams are going, a DESTROYER DEFENSE. Its different from the Squawks D and the 49whinner D in concept; Squawks built around their Secondary where as the 49whinner defense around their LBs as the Rams are "The Magnificent Seven". Barring a rash of injuries, either teams' defenses should do well in 2014.

The Rams defense is looking to be built to squish the Squawks; stop Lynch on the ground +/-4 yards from the line while forcing Wilson to become the difference maker and run the Rams gauntlet.

As the defense relates to the 49whinners, its even simpler-- exploit the brain matter or lack of it between Kaepernick's ears with pressure and force him into ill-advised throws or pulling down the ball and running for it. Yes he'd make his yards running the ball, but as Smith, his predecessor, discovered that is not always a good idea when playing the Rams.

Its the Rams offense I have a concern with. What is the plan there besides on the ground? In 2013 even with the discovery of Stacy, it was hard yards going against the NFC West on the ground. Carbon copies of your fellow divisional opponents can get the Rams just so far--there has to be a distinction and a twist to that scheme.

Ground and pound with a shot over the top when your entire division relies on that as their bread & butter runs the risk of games coming down to fate and chance deciding a match. I'd rather see the Rams have the game in hand at the end of the 3rd quarter then have to slug it out going into the last 2 minutes to decide win or loss

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

The only concerns for me are the experience in the secondary, the continued development of the WRs and the depth @ LB, QB, RB and OL (My biggest concern). I suspect that a lot of those issues will or are already being worked out.

Player development is often a two to three year affair. If that is true, than I expect to see some improvement in the players on the roster, specifically the WRs and that will go a long way in this team emerging from mediocrity. Year three is the general rule with WRs.

This is a team well built, but it is for nothing if that development doesn't start showing this season.

I think they are contenders for a playoff spot barring a rash of injuries.

BTW.......I hear that B. Jones lost 15 pounds of soft weight and has gained back 9 pounds of hard muscle. I think he's been in the trainers 'reshaping you' program. I expect more of that out of him, but this is encouraging.

Also, did anybody hear that the Rams drafted a pretty decent DPR on Saturday. Hope he works his tail off and shows he's worthy of sticking on the roster. Of all the rosters he got put on, this is one where if he makes the cut, it will beyond a doubt mean he is a dang good football player.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -05-11-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Semper Fi!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Think it was clear that if a top WR was not available at the 13th pick that we weren't going to get another WR. We have enough in that regard unless its a head over heels pick. So I am fine with us not taking a WR, and more so jazzed about making a good defense great. I like Joyner, wish though it was Bucannon and think if the ***** didn't take him he would have been our pick.

The others will be used in Greg's defense in creative ways to make the offense miserable!
    Randart likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast