View Poll Results: How did the Rams do in the 2014 NFL Draft?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: St. Louis knocked it out of the park this year!

32 39.51%
  • B: The Rams did very well and mostly added a lot of great talent.

38 46.91%
  • C: They did okay in this draft, I guess. Some good, some bad.

10 12.35%
  • D: The Rams did not have a good draft this year. I'm disappointed.

1 1.23%
  • E: This was an awful draft for St. Louis.

0 0%
  • F: I'm taking this opportunity to announce I'm a Whiner fan.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Re: POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?

Thought it was a great draft addressing all the areas of need. What excites me about the roster now is its mostly guys (with the exception of 3 players) that were drafted, signed or re-signed by the current regime battling for roster places. Robinson and Donald are already massive upgrades over last year's counterparts (Williams and Cudjo) and the same could be said for Joyner and Mason.

The only thing missing from the draft is someone to push Dunbar for playing time and who can rush the passer but perhaps Fisher and Snead envision Ray-Ray as doing this. Cannot wait for pre-season to get the first glimpse of this rookie class.
    Mikey likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Thought it was a great draft addressing all the areas of need. What excites me about the roster now is its mostly guys (with the exception of 3 players) that were drafted, signed or re-signed by the current regime battling for roster places. Robinson and Donald are already massive upgrades over last year's counterparts (Williams and Cudjo) and the same could be said for Joyner and Mason.

The only thing missing from the draft is someone to push Dunbar for playing time and who can rush the passer but perhaps Fisher and Snead envision Ray-Ray as doing this. Cannot wait for pre-season to get the first glimpse of this rookie class.
    I keep hoping that person to push Dunbarr ends up being Rey Rey Armstrong.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think we knocked it out of the park at this stage. Time will tell of course. I was very proud to be a Rams fan yesterday because we showed we have a terrific football coach in Jeff Fisher and a solid GM in Les Snead. But best of all we have a great team who will embrace Michael Sam regardless of lifestyle. Not every team could have done that so kudos to Jeff and Les and Kevin.

Best of all we took players that were good values where they were selected and probably will contribute. I hope everyone stays healthy through camp and pre-season so we have a good starting point to the season. I'm hoping we get some games moved to Sunday night so we can let the country know how good this team is getting. Plus I get to watch them! It's all good.

Go Rams!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Just looked over at the espn site, damn I miss having cable :-/ Anyway Todd McShay picked us as the team that did the best over all. Its one man's opinion, but I respect his and of course will agree :-)

turbofargo is offline Registered User

By Nick Wagoner

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In what has become a day-after draft tradition over the past 30 years, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. handed out his grades for this year's edition in the wee hours Sunday morning.

It probably comes as no surprise given the early returns but the St. Louis Rams earned honor roll caliber grades from Kiper for their 2014 haul. Kiper gave the Rams an A-minus, making them one of three teams to earn that mark and placing them behind the only two teams to get an "A," the San Francisco ***** and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Kiper listed the Rams' key needs as offensive tackle, safety, wide receiver and cornerback. All of those received attention relatively early in the draft except for wide receiver. The Rams used their first pick, No. 2 overall, on Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, grabbed Florida State corner Lamarcus Joyner and Missouri corner E.J. Gaines in the second and sixth rounds, respectively, and finally doubled down on safeties in Day 3 with fourth-round choice Maurice Alexander of Utah State and sixth-rounder Christian Bryant of Ohio State.

As for wide receiver, perhaps the "minus" in the grade comes from the team's decision not to address the position. But as we discussed in this space plenty in the time before the draft, the Rams were unlikely to spend a pick, early or otherwise, on a wideout if it wasn't a player like Clemson's Sammy Watkins. As it turns out, Watkins was not really in the mix for the No. 2 pick when all was said and done though the Rams did like what he brought to the table. If the Rams were to add a receiver, it needed to be a potential No. 1-caliber wideout. Once Watkins went off the board, there weren't any other to fit that bill for the team. I thought they might add one later simply because they had so many picks, but it's clear they're going to stick with what they have and allow their young wideouts to develop.

Overall, I agree with Kiper's general thoughts on this draft but for a little different reason. I like that the Rams didn't spend most of the weekend trading down, adding picks and looking for bodies. They had 12 picks to start the draft and used 11 of them. They sat where they were and let things fall to them. In the end, they added a lot of quality to a roster that needs it.

Time will tell if the promise from the weekend will turn into wins on the field. At first glance, anyway, this looks like a class capable of providing help now and in the future.

kman is offline Registered User

loved their draft..they filled needs and got value picks

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I see some people concerned we didn't get a WR, but the only #1 WR guys were Watkins and Evans. I's prefer Robinson and Donald over those two. After that, I don't think a WR picked in the 2nd to 7th rounds would help this team more than the guys we have

Randart is offline Registered User

I voted option B, as I think we got allot of great talent. And the later round guys could be really good the tape shots I seen of them give me hope for their potential. Like many would have loved to draft a safety higher up like a Dix or Buchannon, both were on the board available at pic 13. Sure hope Donald is all you guys think he will be the best defender in this draft? Wow! The second coming of Sapp disruptive in the middle and pressure the pocket inside out... If not that will change the grade of this draft allot. Then that would have freed up the round 2 pick to go for one of the big boy backs like Hyde or Hill! We will see first hand how good Hyde will be twice a year for the next 5 to 10. Our Defense will see him up close and personal... Hope the guy we got is a viable back up for Stacy, as he seems to be his clone maybe... We waited a long time to draft a QB instead of taking a guy like A. J. Mac who fell in the draft. Guess trading away that pic to move up for our DB Joyner made that option not available. Hope Gilbert can fit this bill and develope into a viable backup for us. Time will tell how he compares to A. J.-

So for me in the end was a surprising draft in how our club let the players fall to them save for the one trade. And seems we got allot of guided missle hitters hope they can make the club. Many seem to have real talent, I expect our excellent coaches to get the most out of them. Good luck to all our Rookies, & UDFA's hope you guys enjoy your time in the Rams Organization I think it is one of the best in the NFL!

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I went with B, rather than A, because I'm not a draftnik & have only basic info on these guys, not a crystal ball or delusions of GM acumen. I like the strategic analysis of The Rams' current roster I think I see reflected by these choices even if I didn't see them the same pre-draft. As always, you'll never really know things like whether no WR picks means they have total faith in the current group. What if Watkins had somehow been the stud who slipped to #13 ? Are you sure they wouldn't have taken him, knowing they took Donald where the need, at least, had to be rated lower for most than at WR ?
    I also wonder about stuff like Fisher's claim that they would have given up multiple picks to get Martin. This was before RD2, bear in mind. Could just as easily have been a smokescreen to entice trade offers in the 2nd,imo. Such a candid offering DURING the draft from the cagey Stache seems unlikely not to have had a purpose.

I thought The Rams might forego a top OT if they were optimistic about J. Long's return or go Matthews if not, but who can argue that The Rams didn't need a monster interior lineman equally?

Nobody's been all that impressed with Langford but Donald still seemed like an odd choice because of the underpopulated DB corps, the style of the NFCW O-lines(bruiser sumo m2m rather than quick zone blockers) he will face, & an already solid 2nd string DL, but who can argue with getting to the QB or RB behind the LOS even more often is a pretty darned good way to stop the big play disasters that have ruined so many otherwise strong games by the D overall recently ?

I thought a vet RB might be added to back-up Stacy rather than an upgrade to the C.O.P back position in the draft but depth with a high ceiling is something this team lacks across the board.

I remain convinced that a healthy first string Rams team could have been in the playoffs in any of the last four years. I think this draft reflects the beginnings of the depth they've lacked to overcome first string injuries in that time and blends immediate potential contribution with upside that will simultaneously enhance the first string, keep the underappreciated ST units effective (huge part of why The Rams didn't collapse after Sam's injury, imo), and keep things working when pieces get broken as they always do.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-12-2014 at 11:52 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk247 View Post
    I see some people concerned we didn't get a WR, but the only #1 WR guys were Watkins and Evans. I's prefer Robinson and Donald over those two. After that, I don't think a WR picked in the 2nd to 7th rounds would help this team more than the guys we have
    Probably right. Still, I was really hoping for a WR, round 2 - 4, e.g., Jordan Matthews, Martavis Bryant, had they been available. Then put our current receivers up to the competition.

However, as A&O said... "I'm not a draftnik & have only basic info on these guys, not a crystal ball or delusions of GM acumen."

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The 2014 NFL Draft is now over, and here are your newly drafted St. Louis Rams...

• 1.2: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: -------- terrible-- take a guy #2 with bad pass protecting skills in a pass happy NFL-tony the tiger for the auburn tiger.... and to boot we here all Ok with him playing guard as a #2 pick because this guy has the athletism to become a great pass blocker-- where have I heard that before. Picks this high need to be complete and not projects.
    • 1.13: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh------ Best Player Option here- Im OK with it
    • 2.41: Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State-pick should have been WR/S
    • 3.75: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn--------------terrible should have been WR/S
    • 4.110: Mo Alexander, S, Utah State------the guy that dropped every pass at Pro day-- nice: should have been QB pick

The rest of these picks are non factors

• 6.188: E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri
    • 6.214: Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU
    • 7.226: Mitchell Van Dyk, OT, Portland State
    • 7.241: Christian Bryant, S, Ohio State
    • 7.249: Michael Sam, DE, Missouri
    • 7.251: Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State

What's YOUR verdict?
    theres a reason why we remain the least of the division

1) no good QB
    2) poor offense.

if we plan on winning games the throw-back old school way, then our defense better be our offense.

As evidenced last year, when many of your favorites, Sam Bradford went down, Kellen Clemens came in and did just a good of a job. In fact if he had worn Brafords numbers we wouldn't have known.

Hate me, lambaste me, chastise, me, berate me-- the Rams record at the end of these years has been evidence enough. Fishers dumbfounded look at the end of the Dallas game was enough to tell me that he knows he has no passing game-- and thus the fašade of---"we are going to run the ball" announcement.
    Hey good luck with your 3 yard running average there. Best you be game planning 4 plays = a 1st down.

I hope this is the last year of another poor, high 1st round pick-- and thats you Bradford.
    Last edited by punahou; -05-13-2014 at 01:46 PM.

10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    theres a reason why we remain the least of the division

1) no good QB
    2) poor offense.

if we plan on winning games the throw-back old school way, then our defense better be our offense.

As evidenced last year, when many of your favorites, Sam Bradford went down, Kellen Clemens came in and did just a good of a job. In fact if he had worn Brafords numbers we wouldn't have known.

Hate me, lambaste me, chastise, me, berate me-- the Rams record at the end of these years has been evidence enough. Fishers dumbfounded look at the end of the Dallas game was enough to tell me that he knows he has no passing game-- and thus the fašade of---"we are going to run the ball" announcement.
    Hey good luck with your 3 yard running average there. Best you be game planning 4 plays = a 1st down.

I hope this is the last year of another poor, high 1st round pick-- and thats you Bradford.
    I agree, but Fisher has full reign and he is not an offensive minded coach. He's building a record breaking defense right now and concentrating on the running game. With that said, a mediocre qb can still make play-offs in this scenario. Im just not so sure Clemens did as good of a job as Bradford, I feel it was more that Zak Stacy was given the ball more. I ultimately feel the problem with Bradford is he cannot stay healthy and regardless of how great a player is this will always burden the team.

RealRam is offline Registered User

POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?-1-1ram-.jpg

Clic to enlarge

Hey, with the draft in place and for those that make the 2014 STL Rams team [insert your own selected / favorite players here], I bid you all the best in strength and honor ... and health.

I hope that throughout this rookie season your achievements, personal goals, and success will materialize in victories for yourself, your career and ultimately, for the team.

May we see you in highlights of awesome truth. Thus, 'Veritas Aequitas' to go with those plays of you and of your teammates...

Hope you like this instrumental. Repeat, rejoice. Tip: CRANK UP THE V O L U U U U U M E!

POST-DRAFT: What do you think of your new St. Louis Rams?-rams-2013.jpg

Clic to enlarge

Last edited by RealRam; -05-14-2014 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Format

mh-i is offline Registered User

I like Donald the best out of the picks. The reality is you can't really judge how good or bad this draft is for a couple of years. Some of the guys we think are locks may not be (Pead) and some of the later round picks might be diamonds in the rough (Stacy).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123