Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Post-Game Bernie

Post subject: Rams: Fire Away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's loss and performance was inexcusable. I watched the Saints' first two games, and they are not a good football team.

You don't have to worry about me trying to defend anyone....except for maybe Bulger. Anyone who tries to blame this one on him is really reaching, but I know that some of the Warner worshipers will take the lazy and dishonest way out and rip him, anyway. He passed for 358 yards, completed 65 percent, and held up fine in a 1-dimensional offense that gave New O a chance to tee off on him. He also led the team down (with no timeouts) on a tremendous drive for the go-ahead TD in the final minute. OT drive wasn't impressive but they committed two penalties and didn't try to throw downfield.....if you aren't going to try and run in that situation, then why call really short passes underneath for only 2 or 3 yards?

The Rams have a long list of screw-ups today:

12 penalties today.

special-teams: awful again. today, three s-teams penalties, a long PR allowed, an a botched squib kick.

defense: no takeaways in three games plus an OT.

defense: last two games, 878 yards and 55 points allowed. and repeat: no big plays.

offense: the imbalance has reached insane proportions. Last two
    games, 90 pass attempts, 30 runs. Bulger has been sacked 10 times the last two weeks. He won't survive the season. he's going down. and today the Rams faced the league's 31st-ranked rushing defense and never attacked it on the ground, thus going 1-dimensional and giving New O an easier time of defending the Rams.

Coaching: Martz's decision to go for the squib kick was numbingly bad. Wilkiins put two KOs in the end zone today. The KOR defense was actually solid for once. Yes, Lewis is dangerous. But c'mon...you let them set up at the 42, with 28 seconds left and three timeouts remaining? Against that soft Rams defense? A regular kickoff would have certainly taken more time off the clock....as it turned out, the squib took only 4 seconds off the clock. And on the defensive side, Marmie had his boys playing soft in the OT, with no blitzes and their DBs playing deep and leaving the middle open. Ridiculous.

Cheers,
    Bernie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rams are in a pickle.

Faulk isn't close to being the #28 we saw in his prime. Arizona was a fluke; he cruised through gaping holes. Today I was startled that on two-three occasions, he had a LB out in space, 1-1 and couldn't outrun him or dodge to get around him. The speed has really diminished.

And with a throttled-down Faulk....this situation cries for Steven Jackson, who can at least power for yards and break tackles. But will Martz do what needs to be done -- at least give Jackson a share of this offense? I don't think so, barring injury. The kid was nowhere to be found today.

Cheers,
    Bernie

In the season preview I picked them to finish 8-8 and said they would not make the playoffs.

I have no idea why some here are saying that I'm "finally" acknowledging that they aren't a good team.

I will say this: they should have won today. And that's even in their downgraded state. Because New Orleans ain't any better.

Cheers,
    Bernie

And by the way....

I'm going to limit my comments to this thread here....I have to get a column in, and then it's home to watch all the NFL games I TiVoed today. Six in all. And that doesn't include the ESPN game tonight.

Just wanted to say that....I'm not going to be jumping around to all of the posts tonight. Just trying to save some time and also keep focused on this particular game, with my assessment leading it off.

Cheers,
    Bernie

Martz isn't going anywhere.

Unless he cracks up and asks to step down. which he won't do.

Cheers,
    Bernie

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: Post-Game Bernie

but I know that some of the Warner worshipers will take the lazy and dishonest way out and rip him
    Even when the rest of his analysis is right on target, he always has to get that little jab in on the people that thought the organization did Warner wrong.

What a flaming jackass!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Even when the rest of his analysis is right on target, he always has to get that little jab in on the people that thought the organization did Warner wrong.

What a flaming jackass!
    How about this: stop posting here and go post on the PD boards for about a week. Then I think you might understand Bernie's position a little more because, and I might be wrong on this, I believe he deals more with PD posters than he does anyone else.

The people who post at the PD are unbelievable, and I think that's what Bernie was primarily responding to.

gap Guest

Since Bernie has to take pot-shots at Warner and people who think he didn't get a fair shake in St. louis, I'll counter. But first let me say that this loss CANNOT be blamed on Marc.

When Warner was playing well, but the team was still losing; it was W-L. Now, Bulger is playing well (by his standards) and it is stats. No consistancy here.

Also. Bulger did make some really bad plays today that would have had Warner on the cross. His attempt at a shovel pass while being tackled absolutely baffles me. That is a TOTALLY UNEXCUSABLE fumble. The TD pass to Holt should have been an INT, but Holt managed to get Jordonesk type air to snag the TD catch. Also, while his pocket presence did improve in this game, he still is taking sacks that should be throw aways. Of course, he'd have to have been wearing a Saints jersey to be able to do it without a Grounding Penalty. If they counted sacks against the QB rating, he'd have MUCH worse numbers.

But, again, this game CANNOT be blamed on Marc. I was actually impressed with his play most of today. That scramble for the TD was great, and Kurt probably wouldn't have been able to get as many yards in the same situation. I do have one question on that TD. WHERE THE HELL WAS THE FLAG???????? Marc was well into the endzone when he was hit with the intent to injure. I don't know how many times I have seen a personal foul called on just that sort of play (not only to the RAMS D). I think the officials had Saints' jerseys on under their stripes.

gap

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    How about this: stop posting here and go post on the PD boards for about a week.
    I understand what you are trying to say Nick, but I think reading the PD board for even an hour would be enough to discourage anyone from posting there.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I understand what you are trying to say Nick, but I think reading the PD board for even an hour would be enough to discourage anyone from posting there.....LOL

When this board is quiet, I venture over there. And you're right. It's difficult for me to stay 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by gap
    Also. Bulger did make some really bad plays today that would have had Warner on the cross. His attempt at a shovel pass while being tackled absolutely baffles me. That is a TOTALLY UNEXCUSABLE fumble. The TD pass to Holt should have been an INT, but Holt managed to get Jordonesk type air to snag the TD catch. Also, while his pocket presence did improve in this game, he still is taking sacks that should be throw aways.
    Pretty fair points. Though it should be said he found Marshall Faulk MUCH more, especially in the flat, and spread the ball around very well.

tanus is offline Registered User

bulger wasnt attempting a shovel pass when he fumbled. the ball hit orlando's fat ass as he was running with it and thats why it popped out.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Post-Game Bernie

Look people the bottomline is the defensive unit and special teams. They have allowed huge yardage gains and lots of gaps. They have put the team in a pressure mode. Today, the offensive unit granted gave up 5 sacks but still Marc was able to use Bruce, Curtis and Holt to spread the ball. They could have run on this team if Steven Jackson was called upon.
    The role that Marshall must play is very obvious. He must be a lead blocker for Jackson to blossom. That is exactly was Hodgins use to do for Faulk. With his help Marshall can become a receiver threat and be used to free up Bruce and Holt for more opportunities.
    And Warner dong good. Hey they are in the same boat except the Giants defense is better at holding opponnents. Do we miss Wistrom Hell Yea!!!
    I question Mike Martz just like anyone else does. But today the execution on the defensive and special teams squads was unexcusable. Offensively Bulger played as well as anyone. They should have won. He had NO Interceptions.
    So let's hope we do not get beat by San Francisco. That would the low blow of the season.
    THE FIELD GOAL