RamWraith is offline Registered User

Post-game quotes

Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injuries)
    “The only injury we had was G Richie Incognito, he got light headed right before the half and the doctors wouldn’t clear him to go back in. We moved T John Greco over and went with John the rest of the way.”

(On the game)
    “Obviously, this was not the result we wanted, so I am disappointed from the standpoint. I felt we played hard. I appreciate those guys like RB Steven Jackson going out there and giving everything he had, T Orlando Pace who really had a two to four week injury and DL Adam Carriker. We have a bunch of guys who are beat up with nicks and bruises. You can hang your hat on one thing, those guys went out and competed and fought through all of the adversary and injuries that they had.”

(On RB Steven Jackson having only one touch during the fourth quarter)
    “He was gassed and his leg started to bother him, so we told him before the game to go as far as you could go and then we will play the other guys.

I appreciate Steven getting out there under the conditions; he hasn’t done much in the past month. To go out there and carry the ball in which I thought he was very effective in running the ball, but in a game like situation he just hasn’t had anything for a while.”

(On Jackson’s play shows he is a “difference maker”)
    “It is a big reminder. We have said it before; during some games if we had him we might have won the game. He is a heck of a football player, when you loose a guy like him it is hard to replace him.”

(On LB David Vobora)
    “It is hard to tell, but I think he did ok. He had good instincts and good position and he is a good leader. There are a couple of plays that I can pick out that he did very well with. I am sure that if I look at the film I will find something. For a guy in his first start and a seventh-round draft pick I thought he did fairly well. “

(On interceptions)
    “The picks didn’t really hurt us, defense did a great job. After the first pick they got nothing, after the second pick they got a field goal, and the third pick was at the end of the game. Obviously, three interceptions is three interceptions. Our problem is that we have to score touchdowns, as an offense we haven’t scored any touchdowns. We didn’t score this week, we didn’t score last week and it has been that way all year in the red zone. We just are just not getting the job done. I am not sure what the answer is, we will keep researching and trying to get it done. We are not really good right now in the red zone. You are not going to win kicking field goals in this league, you have to score touchdowns.

QB Marc Bulger

(On the loss)
    “We find ways to lose. We hung in there the first half. We got that corrected, which is good. We played good in all phases at some points, but we struggled at others.”

(On RB Steven Jackson being back and his impact on the game)
    “I think it was quite evident when he was in there. That first half, he was really rolling. Any little hole he hit with such authority and arm tackles won’t bring him down, getting six or seven yards on first down. It’s nice to have him back.”

(On if he didn’t see the linebackers on the interceptions)
    “It happens. I wish I had them back, but trying to explain it probably wouldn’t work. I just can’t do that.”

(On if the injury from last week had any effect on him today)
    “I don’t think so. We just have to play better in the red zone and our defense bailed us out on those picks which was nice. Usually, we turn the ball over and the game will be over, but they fought hard and only gave up six points on those, which was a positive step.”

(On how OL John Greco played at guard)
    “I think good. Our line played pretty well up front all day. I didn’t notice he was in there so I’m sure he did pretty well.”

(On the inefficiency in the red zone)
    “When you get down to the five yard line, you want to be able to just grind it in or make something happen throwing the ball. They did a pretty good job covering everything and our gameplan going in was to manage the game, so again, they covered everything pretty well and it was just a matter of me having to throw the ball away. Hopefully we will be able to run the ball a little better once we get into the red zone.”

S OJ Atogwe

(On today’s game)
    “I think we played a very competitive game out there with them. They came in with the No. 1 offensive team in the red zone and they were scoring a lot of points on a lot teams. I think we did a good job of keeping the points down and controlling what they do best. I think we are going to take pride in that and build off of it next week.”

(On if Miami did anything new that the St. Louis Rams did not see before)
    “No. We knew they were a team that did a variation of things so we kind of expected the unexpected. Having that mindset allowed us to play as well as we did.”

(On if there is any moral victories that can be taken from this game)
    “It is always about the journey and not the destination. The fact that we played well this week and we did a lot of good things that you have to take and build from. Going into next week’s game and the rest of the season, you have a better foundation rather than saying we lost or we suck. We played well and we put ourselves in a position to win and that is what we have to keep doing.”

Rams LB Pisa Tinoisamoa

(On defense remaining competitive in the second half)
    “We played better ‘D’. We played between the points. We got a big turnover from O.J. I think special teams helped out a lot. Our offense for the most part drove the ball well and gave us a rest. I think we played well as a unit today.”

(On playing against wildcat formation)
    “I think (the Dolphins) ran about a series and a half of (the wildcat formation) and that was it. They had to close it down because it really wasn’t working against us, so that was good because we worked hard against it. It’s one of those things that if you stop it once, they’re never going back to it. “

Rams DE Chris Long

(On playing against Dolphins T Jake Long)
    “It was cool. You know, a friend of mine- someone I respect. Obviously the hype was the one and two match-up, but we were just out there having fun playing football. They won the game so that’s all that matters to me. I talked to him after the game but we just had fun with it.”

(On defense’ performance today)
    “We still didn’t stop the run the way we wanted to, but we at least slowed the bleeding there. That makes it possible for us to use our strength, which is to get out to the quarterback a little bit. I thought we did a good job. I don’t know if we actually got to him at all with any sacks but we were definitely back there.”

(On if a loss can be an encouraging thing for a defense)
    “We certainly can’t hang our heads as much as we did the past couple weeks. The past couple weeks were just chokes for us. We had to put the blame squarely on our shoulders the past couple weeks especially out front feeling like we can’t stop the run. This week it got a little better.

Rams K Josh Brown

(On kicking game)
    “I’ve kicked a lot of field goals this year. It’s been a pretty typical game. We’ve had a least two (field goals) a game. We had four today - connected on those and it was a good day for special teams. Unfortunately no win.”

(On RB Steven Jackson’s presence in the offense)
    “Obviously it made a huge difference. He’s a big - game back and it means a lot to us guys knowing he’s coming out here playing injured - not playing 100 percent. That’s pretty awesome to see a guy in his role to be able to do that. He made a big difference today.”

(On the remainder of the season)
    “We’re on the road again. We’ve got a conference game coming up with a division rival. We just (have to) put a game together. Today felt like a good step for us because we played as a team and that was the first time in a while that we’ve played that way. Hopefully that will carry over. We got 28 days left of football. Four games left to accomplish some wins. That’s basically what it is. We’ve got a four-week job interview. We’re just going to have to play and see how it turns out.

LB David Vobora
    November 30, 2008

(On how he played in the first start of his career)
    “I feel like I settled in and played pretty well. Defensively, I felt like we were back today. We played with some swagger and we played as a team. We had some guys banged up and a lot of guys put the effort in on the D-line and that is all you can ask for.”

(On making all the defensive calls using the radio in his helmet)
    “My heart rate at the snap may have been a little high but after that I settled in and got my reads and made the calls and we had no problems.”

(On if he was nervous)
    “I did not sleep as much last night but that is the way it is and I love that feeling.”

(On defending the Miami Dolphins running attack)
    “Both (RB) Ricky (Williams) and (RB) Ronnie (Brown) are good athletes and they wait for you to flow past them and they hit seams. They really did not have those big seams. We had a series early, the one that they scored on, where we did not tackle really well but we regrouped and came back out and I think we had a better day from that point.”

RB Steven Jackson

(On how he felt)
    “I felt pretty good. That first half, I felt amazing. I really thought that we were going to continue to run successfully and continue to dominate like we were in the first half. They made some adjustments in the second half and hats off to them and their coaching staff.”

(On only getting one carry in the fourth quarter)
    “The situation was that we felt like we felt like we were going to have to pass a little bit more and (RB) Kenneth Darby has been doing a great job for us in that aspect, so we thought that we would go that route. If it was going to be a short run, we would come back with me.”

(On how his leg felt after the game)
    “The leg is just a little tight, sore, all of the things that the doctor said to expect is definitely what I’m feeling. I just have to ice it tonight and make sure that it doesn’t swell up on me like what happened a couple of weeks ago when I tried to go.”

(On his number of carries being a product of coming off the injury)
    “Coming into the game, we were thinking about 15 carries. I don’t know what I ended up with, but I already knew that I was going to share a lot of time today, just to make sure that the leg continued to go in the right direction.”

(On the specific adjustments the Dolphins made in the second half to stop the run)
    “They realized that we were getting a ton of our yards up the middle. They loaded up the box on us and (LB Channing) Crowder did a great job of pressuring the ‘A’ gap.”

Head Coach Tony Sparano

(On the play of the game)
    “Figuring out ways to win. You come on the road; don’t expect it to be easy. There is no opponent in this league that you take for granted. Like I told you during the week, I have seen what this team did to the Cowboys, I have seen what they did to the Redskins; it’s a good football team. They play hard. Coach has got them playing hard right now. We knew at the end of that first quarter, when you are trading blows like that it was going to be one of these types of football games.”

(On the team’s defense)
    “What I am proud of the defense about is the way they stepped up during the course of the game. Particularly when we got down into the red zone. They did not break down there, they played solid defense. I thought discipline defense when we got in the red area and held them to field goals. If you can do that; then you have a chance. We scored a touchdown early in the ball game and we gave one back with the penalty, but I thought the defense did a nice job.”

(On the defense vs. Steven Jackson)
    “I think it is pretty important, especially when you got him back there. I mean, that guy comes rolling down hill; he looks like a defensive lineman running through the secondary out there. I thought early in the game he had a couple of big runs come out of there, but as the game went on I thought the defense stepped it up. They were hitting him there and they were 3 yard gains. So that put us in a little bit better situation on some third downs. In the second half we were able to get off the field a couple of times.”

(On making the play back to QB Chad Pennington)
    “Yeah, it was supposed to go back to (QB) Chad (Pennington), but there was a defensive lineman in his face. Obviously (RB) Ronnie (Brown) made a heck of a play there. Had it had gone back to (QB) Chad (Pennington), the way the rest of the play was going to go, it kind of could have looked like that thing down in Houston, when you look at it. (RB) Ronnie (Brown) made a nice play. We turned the ball over, not what you wanted to do. At the end of the day this game was 3 to 1 turnovers; that’s how you lose and that’s how you win.”

(On Ronnie Brown’s innovation of the previous play)
    “I applaud him for making a play. I trust him to throw the ball, obviously, or we would not have him back there in the Wildcat and we would not of had the play in. Ronnie did a good job there, he had some space and I think he felt like he could get the ball down the field so I applaud him for that.”

(On playing PR Devone Bess)
    “We wanted to get Devone involved, this was a big game for us to get a chance to evaluate him a little bit and to see exactly where he is in this full-time roll. We thought we were going to get a lot of one-on-one stuff out there, some man-to-man coverage. We thought Devone is a guy that could win in some of those, so when he does win he can run after the catch with the ball; he had a couple of those today.”

(On playing in the dome with rookie K Dan Carpenter)
    “It’s huge. He has been big for us the entire season. It gives you some comfort, particularly when you are inside like this and there is no weather involved. Where you know that the yards make it to the 35 or the 37 and you got a chance to get some points out of this. There is a couple of those deals where we got turnovers on the defensive end and we have been turning some of those things into touchdowns and here we had to turn them into field goals and we were lucky to do that.”

QB Chad Pennington

(General comments)
    “Sometimes it can be real easy to be frustrated and down when you have an inconsistent performance, but I’ve been in this league long enough to understand how each win is so precious and each win is a gem. So, I rather win and learn from my mistakes than lose and learn from my mistakes. We need to go back to the practice field. We need to work extremely hard. We need to practice better which will then allow us to play better.”

(On the running game)
    “We had inconsistency. We’d have a run play that went well and then we’d get a penalty to put us in a passing situation. Or we’d have a mishap here or there. It was inconsistent football offensively. It was a grind all day long and you have to give St. Louis credit they did a good job of coming out here and being ready to play. We were ready to play, we just didn’t play well, but at the end we got the job done.”

(On winning tight ball games)
    “We’ve done a great job of keeping our poise and composure in tight games. We’ve done a really good job of not getting down and getting stressed out over the situation and trying to remain focused even though today was a tight game. We had some opportunities to not let it be a tight game but it was. This year we’ve done a good job of that and I think that first starts with our coaching staff and how they prepare us with the things that Coach Sparano preaches to us on a daily basis and how we need to handle ourselves as professionals and then we have to carry that over to the field.”

RB Ricky Williams

(On running the wildcat offense)
    “We only ran it once and we didn’t block the nose, you still have to block him.”

(On the Miami running game)
    “We had success going wide and we did a good job of running the ball against them. We knew there would be space to run.”

(On Miami’s seventh win)
    “It’s nice to be on a winning team. It’s nice to be in contention. It feels good going into the games with confidence, knowing that we can win. I’ve been on losing teams and it’s not fun. So, we’re having fun and we’re ready to go every week and we’re having fun in practices. It’s a long season when you get to this point and if you’re not winning, it’s tough.”

(On the rest of the season for Miami)
    “We have to keep working hard, especially this time of the season your toughness is really tested both mentally and physically. So, if we can stay healthy and we can keep practicing hard and get better I think we’ll be in good shape.”

(General comments on the game)
    “I think we had a hold on the game. We didn’t run away with it, but we kept them at enough distance. There were times we could have put them away, but we didn’t capitalize. But it’s nice to get a win.”

CB Andre Goodman

(On the play of the defense)
    “Going in, we felt we had a good sense of what they wanted to try to do. We could anticipate without having to jump around so much. They made their plays but we made our share.”

(On the report that CB Will Allen was alerting the Miami defense of the Rams play calls)
    “He was, but that is what Will does. Have you ever prepared will with Will during the week? He is a big film guy. He gives me tips all the time. He always points thing out and he has been doing it all year. It doesn’t mean he is 100% right, but he’ll recognize a formation or see who’s inside or outside and link it back to the film study.”

(On the interception at the end of the game)
    “I knew eventually that they would have to take a shot. They had been dinking and dunking and time was running, I knew they would have to take a shot. I just played the deep ball and was able to make a good play on it. #14 (WR Donnie Avery) is a speed guy that I have seen on film. I can’t remember the team he played against, but he made a great play deep. The guy had great coverage and he still came down with it. So when you see a guy like that coming inside, it kind of tells you something. It tells you that he is a better deep runner than an intermediate type of guy, so I played him for the deep ball. The quarterback threw it early and I was able to see it coming out of his hand. As a cornerback, any time you see the ball come out of the quarterback’s hand, it is easy to make a play on it.”

(On winning the seventh game of the season)
    “Of course, we will be hard on ourselves, but we will enjoy this tonight. We didn’t play well today, but at the same time, after twelve games, we are 7-5 and it still gives us a chance at the playoffs and that is all you can ask for.”

T Jake Long

(On the running game versus the Rams)
    “As the game went on we started to run the ball better. We didn’t start off the game running the ball like we wanted to. We kept after it and we started to run the ball like we want to near the end of the game.”

(On what the Rams defense did against the Miami running attack)
    “There wasn’t anything that we didn’t practice for or anything that we didn’t prepare for. We are going to have to see the film and see what happened, but nothing out of the ordinary.”

(On getting the win)
    “It was definitely a huge win. It is hard to win on the road. We all know we have to play better and we have to keep improving. We have to get back to work and make sure we get better.”

(On going against Chris Long)
    “He is a great player. Like I have said all throughout the week, he is relentless. He just keeps playing, keeps working. He got a couple pressures on me, but he is just a great player. It was a good battle all game.”

(On the injury to Justin Smiley)
    “It is hard to see him go down, the way he works everyday in practice. Andy (Alleman) stepped in great and we all settled down after that and started to put together some good drives. Andy really stepped in and did a good job.”

(On his ankle injury)
    “I was a little rusty the first couple of series. I had to get my balance back and everything, but once it warmed up it felt pretty good.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Post-game quotes

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    (Bulger On how OL John Greco played at guard)
    “I think good. Our line played pretty well up front all day. I didn’t notice he was in there so I’m sure he did pretty well.”
    He was in there the whole second half protecting his ass. Bulger must still be woosy from all the previous hits he has taken.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -12-01-2008 at 01:04 AM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    He was in there the whole second half so protecting his ass. Bulger must still be woosy from all the previous hits he has taken.
    I was planing on saying something about that comment. I realize Marc has a lot going on during a game, but he doesn't even know who is in the huddle with him? How can he lead or motivate or even make plays when he doesn't know who he is playing with? I mean come on...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haslett
    For a guy in his first start and a seventh-round draft pick I thought he did fairly well.
    Well, this ought to make Vobora feel good. Yikes!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    He was in there the whole second half protecting his ass. Bulger must still be woosy from all the previous hits he has taken.
    I think you missed the point of this comment, as by Bulger not realizing he was out there likely implies that he didn't make any mistakes ....

It's just like when you are watching on TV, if you don't hear an offensive lineman's name mentioned very often, it's likely he is doing a solid job. If you hear his name, more than likely he got beat and the QB got sacked or a runner got stuffed ...

Geez, you guys will tear into Bulger for anything these days ....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I think you missed the point of this comment, as by Bulger not realizing he was out there likely implies that he didn't make any mistakes ....

It's just like when you are watching on TV, if you don't hear an offensive lineman's name mentioned very often, it's likely he is doing a solid job. If you hear his name, more than likely he got beat and the QB got sacked or a runner got stuffed ...
    Bulger's quote does sound a little funny, but I completely agree that his point was that Greco came in and didn't do anything to warrant any negative attention.