RamWraith is offline Registered User

Post Game Quotes

Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On injury to Derek Stanley)
    “Just to give you an injury update on Derek Stanley, he has a knee injury and he will have a MRI tomorrow. I think it is a significant injury, but we hope it is not, but he will have a MRI tomorrow.”

(On the game)
    “If nothing else this team is going to learn quickly in the future that when you have a chance to put a team away early in the game, that these turnovers are going to come back and get you sooner or later. Derek’s (Stanley) turnover led to seven points, then (TE) Joe Klopfenstein took seven off the board when it should have been 24-0 at halftime. When you let a team like that hang around and they come out and get the ball in the second half and they get a couple of field goals, then they are back into the game. You have a chance to really take care of it in the first half and you don’t do it, if nothing else hopefully this team will learn that that is the most important thing in the game.”

(On the Klopfenstein fumble and defenders being near him)
    “To me putting the ball to the ground doesn’t make a difference, you are responsible for that ball. He was wide open, he caught it, and he had enough time to cover it up and get to the ground.”

(On G Richie Incognito’s penalties)
    “I saw the pre-snap penalty but I didn’t see the holding penalty.”

(On WR Torry Holt’s offensive pass interference call by the referee)
    “I am not going to touch that. That is a young guy over there, a rookie referee. I am not sure what he saw, but obviously he thought it was pass interference and we have to live with it. If that is what he called it then that is what he called it.”

(On RB Kenneth Darby being in for the last possessions and Steven Jackson)
    “Because RB Steven Jackson was light headed and the doctor said he was down and he (the doctor) didn’t want him to go in, then he came in on the third down. That is why he was in there.

I am not really sure what happened with Steven, but when the trainer comes up and says that he is out until he is ready then he is out.”

(On passing the ball three times during the final possessions)
    “We had no timeouts, and we were trying to get a first down. We were trying to get a field goal and try to win the game.”

(On WR Derek Stanley attempting something different and risky)
    “I don’t know if it is risky, we ran about six or seven reverses today. I don’t think that was risky. He is a punt returner/kickoff returner, to me that is risky. Running a reverse is just carrying a football.”

(On the play of RB Steven Jackson)
    “I thought that Steven had a great first half, he didn’t get much going in the second half as far as the running game. He had 81-yards rushing in the first half and ended the game with 91 yards. It was a good first half. Obviously we didn’t get enough going in the second half.”

Rams QB Marc Bulger

(On the loss)
    “We’re all disappointed. If you don’t win, then you feel the same if you lost by 30 or you lose by a last second field goal. They’re all bad and it’s become routine.”

(On turnovers and the play of the defense)
    “Turnovers they hurt a little bit, but good teams overcome them. Our defense did a great job of getting us the ball and we got at least 10 points out of that, I think. We got demoralized by Seattle a little bit but we tried to stay in it. They’re a well-coached team and that’s how they win their games.”

(On if the Seahawks made second half adjustments)
    “I don’t think they did. We had a good mix in the first half. (WR Derek) Stanley got hurt so that took away some of our plays but I just think we didn’t execute well. They weren’t doing anything we didn’t expect. They played better on one-on-one match-ups.”

(On the last, three-and-out offensive drive of the game)
    “We had three guys out and all the guys were covered. I’m not going to do anything stupid to give them the ball on our side of the field. So if there were guys open, I would have thrown it to them.”

(On offensive pass interference call against WR Torry Holt)
    “We had a similar call in Miami I think it was. They called Torry on pass interference and you don’t see a lot of offensive pass interference much in this league. I think that Tory made such a nice catch it was tough for the ref to think he could have done that without pushing off. It was a combination of plays and penalties. It wasn’t one play that cost us this game.

(On Rams coach Jim Haslett )
    “We don’t want to think about what’s going to happen at the end of the year, but we for the past seven or eight weeks now we’ve been trying to get him some wins. He’s doing everything he can. I’m sure he wishes he could go out there and play and hold his own fate, but I think players respect him and we’d like to see him here to help turn this around because I know he would do the job.”

Rams RB Steven Jackson

(On today’s game)
    “Since I’ve been here in this organization and playing the Seattle Seahawks, it’s kind of one of those classic games where you know whoever has the ball last probably is pretty much going to win the game. We jumped on them early but something in the back of my mind told me that they were going to make some great adjustments and make a game out of it and that’s exactly what they did.”

(On “learning how to win” games)
    “That’s exactly what’s been ailing us all year. We get up on a team- have a great first half or vice versa and have a great second half. We’ve been unable to put four quarters together for a while.”

(On losing close games)
    “(It’s tougher to lose) tight ones. If you lose a blow-out you just have to tip your hat to that team saying ‘you know what, they just really out-played us today’ but in a tight game like this one where you feel like we kind of did everything we could do when we wanted and still come out with a loss- these are the tough ones that we try to figure out what it is that’s preventing us from putting teams away.”

(On his personal performance)
    “I give myself a ‘C.’ I felt like I had a great first half but I feel the game in general in the second half didn’t match-up to how we started off. I kind of got dinged up- I don’t know which play specifically but I took a shot and didn’t really feel all the way there. We decided to rotate me in and out to see if I would come to and when I finally did the clock was really running out on us.”

WR Torry Holt

(On today’s game)
    “It is tough. We came out and fought. We did a good job taking the lead and coming into halftime, we were feeling real good. We thought we could come out in the second half and keep that same level of play, if not turn it up a notch. For them to comeback like that is tough.”

(On the pass interference penalty)
    “He said he looked up in the Jumbotron and saw that I pushed off. I told him that I never extended my arm. It is one thing it you extend because that is pass interference but everything was in motion catching the football. I don’t even know if I had my hands on the guy. That was his explanation and I told him that it was a bad call.”

(On if he was surprised they called the penalty)
    “Yes I was surprised. I could understand if I did because I would take that but I could not understand it. It was a big play for our team. It was something that we needed. We needed some energy, something to get us going and that was a big play for us. To take that from us was not fair. They get paid to do what they do and we get paid to do what we do.”

CB Jason Craft

(On blitzing during the first half)
    “Yeah you know I just wanted to go out there and have fun. We felt like as a defense, if we just go out and have fun and make plays we would be successful. We just kept them around and they started making plays in the second half and they end up with the win.”

(On what happened defensively in the second half)
    “We just kept them in the game. We just need to make some more plays and a team like that if you keep them in the game usually they are going to adjust and they are going to start making plays.”

(On the frustration from the loss)
    “It has been very frustrating all year that we need to continue playing hard so we can finish teams. We just have to keep fighting. I know we have two games left. I don’t think I have ever been 2-12, but you know we are going to keep fighting no matter what.”

(On the team focus after halftime)
    “You think that we got this one, we got this one, and some how they come back at the end and they end up winning. All I can say is we can look at film and we just have to look at ourselves, each one of us and know that we have to finish the game.”

DE James Hall

(On the loss to Seattle)
    “It is really difficult. We had the game under control and we let it slip through our fingers. Guys were out there playing hard and making plays. I guess we didn’t make enough plays in the end.”

(On the difference between the first and second half)
    “They made more plays that we did and that is probably why the won the game. We can’t have turnovers and let them drive down the field and kick field goals, it adds up. It is a number of things. You can’t pinpoint just one thing.”

(On falling to 2-12 on the year)
    “We just wanted to get a win and that was the most disappointing thing about it was that we didn’t get a win.”

Seattle Head Coach Mike Holmgren

(On the game)
    “I don’t know what to say, its been so long. I thought it was a great effort by the guys in the second half. I thought we played a poor football game in the first half. So I challenged them a little at half time and I think they responded beautifully. They are very happy, they should be, they worked very hard. In this league a win is a win. I am very happy with the players.”

(On the second half)
    “We struggled on our pass protection in the first half. We made some adjustments at half time. I threw the ball a little quicker in the second half. We ran the ball a little bit more. We were not a able to spend much time dropping back and throwing the ball, we just couldn’t. They did a nice job of blitzing us.”

(On Seneca Wallace QB)
    “Seneca Wallace, you have to tip your hat to the young man, after getting knocked around like he did. After throwing the ball a little bit; he is tough. He can handle it.”

(On the last drive of the game)
    “He made a great audible call on the third down call to Leonard (Weaver). On the pass, I said, if they give you this look hand it to him. Then Leonard made a nice run. I can’t say enough about him. He gives you everything he’s got all the time. He is very emotional in there right now, never seen him cry like that before. They were kind of happy tears.”

(On Seneca Wallace at halftime, his reaction to no pass protection at the end of the second quarter)
    “Yeah, we were a little bit sleep walking in the first half. It was kind of quiet in there; it was eerie a little bit. We played that way. Our defense they had a 20 play drive against our defense. We had a fumble on our special teams. We didn’t play very well. He (Seneca) came off and was ticked off and let everybody know it, good for him.”

(On the defense in the first quarter vs. the second quarter)
    “I think we tackled better. We had a couple of close, good plays by our secondary. Look, as many times as I have played against these guys; I told Torry Holt (Rams WR) this after the game. They have been very good, Bulger (Rams QB) and those guys reactions. They have good, really good weapons. You have to play good defense to stop them, its hard. So I think the second half we tackled better. We got some things going offensively, so they weren’t on the field quite so long. Once you put that combination together, it worked for us.”

(On Sean Locklear’s injury)
    “They are taking pictures of his toe. I believe it is dislocated, is what they told me. So we will see where he is this next week.”

(On other injuries)
    “(Jordan) Babineaux had a concussion in the game. The grade or how serious it is, he seemed like he is coming out of it okay.”

(On the difference in the second half play)
    “I think I committed to running the ball. If you threw the ball too much against these guys, the quarterback was going to get hit. Even if you have the right play called, they do a lot of stuff. You might even complete a pass but the quarterback keeps getting hit. Mo (Maurice Morris) did a nice job running the ball, as did Julius (Jones) and Leonard (Weaver) a couple of times. Then we had a couple of throws, Bobby (Engram) got open on one and Deion (Branch) on the last one, it was a big one. We didn’t make the same mistakes we made in the first half.”

(On Seneca’s hit at the end of the first half)
    “He just had the wind knocked out of him.”

(On Coach’s reaction to the hit)
    “I was mad at myself for calling a pass. There was 45 seconds to go and I thought that if we completed a ball, maybe kick a field goal at the end of the first half. Then when your player gets hurt, it’s not worth it. I was second guessing myself on the call, but then it probably helped with my speech at halftime.”

QB Seneca Wallace

(On the differences in the second half and the first half)
    “I think we just came out flat in the first half. They did some things defensively that kind of caught us off-guard a little bit. We just had to adjust. I don’t think we came out ready to play early in the game. (Seahawks Head Coach) Mike (Holmgren) got on us a little bit at halftime and we came out and played one heck of a second half.”

(On Head Coach Mike Holmgren’s comments about him getting emotional)
    “I got really emotional toward the end. I just had my mom on my mind. My mom passed about two years ago. Without her and God and her being an inspiration in my life. We came up with some big plays down there at the end of the game and it was just a huge win. I was just proud for everybody, because we were battling and coming up short all season long.”

(On what happened with the big pass play to WR Deion Branch)
    “The coverage they play, it’s a different coverage. You don’t see it that much. Basically, we had a corner route with a flat route and the corner just looked at the flat and Deion (Branch) just ran a corner route in front of the safety and he came up with a big play there at the end.”

(On his speech to the team at halftime)
    “I just wanted everybody to play harder. I think we just came out, and I hate everybody saying that it’s tough to come back on the east coast and win games, but sometimes we do come out flat. I just wanted to make sure that we didn’t come out flat and that everybody was fighting, trying to win games.”

(On the content of his speech)
    “I was just trying to get them excited, get them pumped up to come out in the second half and be ready to play.”

WR Bobby Engram

(On Coach Mike Holmgren’s emotional outburst)
    “That always helps. We don’t need it all the time. Coach is passionate. When he says something, he means it. I think the guys took it to heart and the guys believed it. We knew he was telling the truth. We knew we had to turn it up a little bit. The first drive of the second half, we put together a pretty good drive and got some points.”

(On the play of the team)
    “It feels good today. It has been an eventful year. The last three or four weeks, we have had opportunities to close out games like this and we didn’t, so it feels good to go out and finish the game.”

(On his play personally)
    “It has been a frustrating year all the way around. Collectively, as a team, a lot of individuals are frustrated because we are not doing what we are used to doing to help this team win ball games. It shows a lot of character in this locker room, to come here to this stadium where it has always been tough for us to play and to get a win. We have two more and I will have some fun in the next two weeks and see where we end up.”

(On the play of QB Seneca Wallace)
    “I thinking people are seeing a healthy Seneca and the one we all knew. The one who could be a staring quarterback in this league. He is really commanding this offense and he is making smart decisions. He is poised and he is making some tremendous throws. He is a vocal leader and he is intense. It is good to see him come into his own.”

DT Rocky Bernard

(On playing against Rams G Richie Incognito again)
    “I wasn’t going to fall into that trap. I just played football and stayed out of all the talking and all of the pushing and shoving.”

(On Seattle’s defensive effort in the second half)
    “We just had to buckle down in the second half. There were a couple of little things we weren’t doing in the first half and we came in here and talked it over at halftime and then we got them shut down in the second half.”

(On what it feels like after a win)
    “It was kind of weird; it’s been so long we forgot how to celebrate after a win. We’re all happy we got a win and are finally enjoying it, it was good.”

(On shutting down Rams RB Steven Jackson in the second half)
    “We were getting guys to him in the first half, but we weren’t doing a good job of tackling. That was the one thing we had to buckle down on in the second half is doing a better job of tackling.”

“Oh man, Seneca, he did a wonderful job again these last two weeks. We should have got him the win last week, but he showed what he can do. He played pretty well.”
    TE John Carlson

(On the win)
    “It’s ugly, but it’s a win and that’s why you play the game - to win.”

(On the atmosphere causing the team to play flat in the first half)
    “It was a different atmosphere than we’re used to in home games. We have a great crowd that really supports us and makes a lot of noise, so in that respect, it was different. Ultimately, it’s up to us to get ourselves ready to play.”

(On if it feels better to win than to lose even if you don’t play well)
    “It always feels better to win whether you play well or not, it feels better to win.”

(On WRs Deion Branch and Bobby Engram making big plays down the stretch)
    “Those two guys played very well and made big plays when we needed them. I thought Seneca (Wallace) played a great game. He was getting hit but he stayed in there and made throws when he had to, he bought some time when he needed to and led us to a win.”

(On having the ball thrown to him consistently after the play breaks down)
    “I can’t tell you why it’s working out that way. When a play breaks down like that, it’s every receiver’s job to try to find an opening. Generally, shallow routes go deep and deep routes come shallow. I don’t why it’s coming to me.”

WR Deion Branch

(On getting a win)
    “I’m glad we got the win. I’m so happy to get that little horse off our back. It means so much when these guys are fighting so hard. I know you hear it week in and week out, but it’s the honest truth guys are working very hard and we finally broke through. You can just see we joy inside the locker room, it’s unreal.”

(On getting a win for Coach Mike Holmgren)
    “He doesn’t deserve to go out like this. But the best thing we can do for him is to win these last two games and end his career that way. I know it’s not the way he wanted to, but that’s the best thing we could do for him, win these next couple of games.”

“He did a great job of adjusting to what they were giving him and what they were doing and also the front line did a great job. I think the coaches came in and scripted up the stuff the way it should have been done. Once we saw how everything was happening, I think overall the adjustment we made at halftime was key. Everything was quicker, you notice the drops, the steps, everything was totally different from the first half.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-15-2008 at 09:01 AM.