throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Post game thoughts on a HUGE win

No matter what happens this year, that was a great great win for the squad. Never give up, never surrender.

The good

Isaac bruce and torry holt remain stud receivers, even when not 100%
    A debut for the ages for fitz. Great accuracy, great mobility, great leadership, very calm. Great great performance for the kid.
    Critical blitz pick up by faulk on the td to bruce at the end of regulation
    Wilkins is indeed money, and the onside kick king of the nfl. Todays effort by wilkins on the onside kick was comprable to the kick against carolina in the playoffs.
    Somehow, and personally i have no idea how, the defense shut them down in the second half and in the OT.
    Great great INT by pisa, just a huge play.
    Baby Alyx was great after pace went out. he continues to impress and will only get better.
    Gutsy performance by rex tucker at tackle as well.
    Some nice runs by steven jackson
    nice play by OJ at the end on 3rd down in the ot when it really counted.

The Bad

No pass rush against the worst pass blocking team in the nfl
    The special teams kick coverage was highly suspect, although you have to conceed that their return guy mathis is as good as anyone
    Long long day for chris johnson on andre who wore him out. the lack of a pass rush sure didnt help
    gashed up the middle against the run again over and over
    leonard little still invisible in pass rush

The ugly

Dropped int by furrey in the first half that led to the td
    leonard little in coverage on the td. truly a bizzare scheme with the de covering the back out of the backfield
    offsides penalty on the kickoff where we recovered the fumble, leading to the horrible coverage giving them a td right before halftime

two observations in general

i see why martz would want to coach the texans. carr is terrific, andre johnson is great and they have a good running back. when carr has time, he is awfully tough.

Can someone PLEASE give martz and the front office credit on fitz. 7th round pick, he looked awfully good today. he is martzs guy, no question about that, so lets please give credit where credit is due.

ramming speed to all, keep the faith, we are not dead yet.

general counsel

Rip32 Guest

Thumbs down Re: Post game thoughts on a HUGE win

I agree kudos to Martz on picking Fitz in the 7th round
    could turnout to be a huge pick for us,he won the game today

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Thumbs down Re: Post game thoughts on a HUGE win

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Can someone PLEASE give martz and the front office credit on fitz. 7th round pick, he looked awfully good today. he is martzs guy, no question about that, so lets please give credit where credit is due.
    I will give Martz all the credit in the world for Fitz he is definitely a Martz guy. Martz has failed with Smoker, Covington, and Chandler reincarnated but several orgs struggle with finding a QB and for that I applaud Mike Martz for his pick of Fitzpatrick. Martz made a hell of a pick in the 7th round that could wind up playing a big part in the future of the Rams.

Re: Post game thoughts on a HUGE win

Any note of martz's failures at qb better include both bulger and a guy named warner as success stories.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Congratulations To Mike Martz For Drafting Fitzpatrick And Also For Calling That Last Play In Overtime Against The Texans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Smile Re: Post game thoughts on a HUGE win

Any note of martz's failures at qb better include both bulger and a guy named warner as success stories.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree I was also noting not every QB he touches turns to gold. Martz having two future HOF's at wide receiver also helps what ever QB he puts in there. But MM has done a good job with Warner who was here before MM as HC, Bulger, and picking Fitz in the 7th round.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

This defense still just absolutely baffles me. At this point I am scratching my head trying to figure out if anyone is salvageable, or is it a lot to do with just poor scheming and teaching.

Either way that side of the ball needs to be fixed in the worse way.

jkramsfan Guest

you need to give martz credit for the qb's, you can have all pro receivers but you have to be able to get the ball to them,which at times can be easier said than done.mm system helps qb's put up big numbers but they still need to have talent and be pretty damn smart to run the system.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    This defense still just absolutely baffles me. At this point I am scratching my head trying to figure out if anyone is salvageable, or is it a lot to do with just poor scheming and teaching.

Either way that side of the ball needs to be fixed in the worse way.
    Furrey is a keeper at FS and may start next year. He is the only DB we have that I see as starter potential. Butler would be a candidate but I am not sure we can count on him as a starter after setting for a full year. If we decide to keep Little he is a starter on the DL and maybe Pickett starts the other two positions on the DL should be wide open. At LB I am not sold on any of them as sure-fire starters next year. I see Pisa as our best but he also concerns me.

too early to tell on bartell, i like him a lot. pisa is good enough to be a starter. pickett and little are fine. i doubt we will give up on hargrove, its too soon, especially with green around.

Kennedy is a mystery for sure. when the nutcracker takes away your starting job, you know you have problems. i will post that topic in its own thread.

Scheme wise, i repeat, name me any time as a football fan that you have seen a DE assigned to cover the running back out of the backfield. It is beyond bizzare.

I continue to contend that the corners are not as bad as they look. Andre johnson is great and we were getting no pass rush at all. he is not going to be stopped one on one if the qb has time to throw. meanwhile, they didnt beat the kiddie corners up top.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

too early to tell on bartell, i like him a lot. pisa is good enough to be a starter. pickett and little are fine. i doubt we will give up on hargrove, its too soon, especially with green around.
    I would not give up on Bartell or Hargrove but I don't want to count on them as starters next year. They could be rotated in and see playing time but I don't want either as a starter next year. Neither has shown enough to be a starter at this point and until they do they should not start next year. If that means get someone else until they are if ever ready then so be it.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-27-2005 at 09:38 PM.

bruce_wannabe Guest

Rams Wraith I Agree With You, But I Believe It Is Marmie's Scheme That Is Causing The Horrible Defensive Play./.... Mamrie Sucked In Arizona So Why Wouldn't He Suck In St.louis????

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

if you are a rams fan and you are a martz hater. today is just another reason to show you how wrong you are about him Fitzpatrick 7th round pick MIKE MARTZ:tongue:

And the defense is horrible because of larry marmies system he just doesnt have what it takes to be a good or decent DC

lets thank mike martz for that play call to curtis in OT
    Torry Holt Dont play that

STLRAMSFAN Guest

You are truly insane in your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoramz
    if you are a rams fan and you are a martz hater. today is just another reason to show you how wrong you are about him Fitzpatrick 7th round pick MIKE MARTZ:tongue:
    This I will give you was a Martz pick and a good one at that.

And the defense is horrible because of larry marmies system he just doesnt have what it takes to be a good or decent DC
    This was also a Martz pick and a bad one that made todays game exciting because we could not stop a 1-9 team that had not scored more then 1 TD all year in a game.

lets thank mike martz for that play call to curtis in OT
    Last I checked Fairchild was calling the plays.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -11-27-2005 at 11:28 PM.

tim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828
    And Also For Calling That Last Play In Overtime Against The Texans!
    is this true? did martz phone in that last play or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast