general counsel Guest

Post June 1 right tackle options

Can anyone list any potential candidates to be cut post june 1 that could conceivably step in and play right tackle for us this year? This would mean that they would have to be able to learn the system, be affordable cap wise, AND be an upgrade from tercero/grant williams. I view this as a major longshot, but many of you guys on the board know the other teams around the league a lot better than i do.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Post June 1 right tackle options

Some names to watch include...

-Todd Steussie (Bucs): Overpaid in the offseason and lost his job to Kenyatta Walker, would be a good option for a low contract if released
    -L.J. Shelton and Anthony Clement (Cards): After signing Oliver Ross, one of them might be out of town if the Cards don't go through with the trade for Henry
    -John St. Clair (Dolphins): On second thought, maybe not.
    -Scott Gragg (Whiners): Harris is expected to move back to RT after the Whiners signed Jennings, so Gragg would be expendable
    -Ephraim Salaam (Jags): Unlikely, but may be expendable if Mike Pearson can get healthy
    -Matt Willig (Panthers): Willig wasn't impressive in 2004, so if the Panthers draft a guy to start at RT this weekend, Willig could be expendable
    -Frank Middleton (Raiders): Cut in March and hasn't gotten sniffed, could be used as both guard or tackle but durability is questionable
    -Chris Terry (Seahawks): Released by Seattle because of high salary and off field issues, and has only gotten sniffed by Cowboys
    -Multiple players on the Packers: After losing Wahle and Rivera, the Packers signed a couple interior lineman and may have to cut bait with at least one, who may be able to slide outside and play tackle.

I'm not saying that all these guys will be available in June, but that from what I know about their situation, they either are free agents right now or are questionable with their current team. Keep in mind though that the importance of some of these players to their teams could change depending on how the draft goes.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I just don't know about this one. When you look at GC's standards (which I agree with) for a Free Agent Right Tackle (yea, yea, I know, the initials spell FART, ha, ha, now let's move on)...
    This would mean that they would have to be able to learn the system, be affordable cap wise, AND be an upgrade from tercero/grant williams
    ...I don't know if any of these guys would fit the bill. I'm just saying, if that's what we have to work with, let's save the money and put Tercero over there, get him some experience. And everyone pray that Bulger doesn't get beat up too bad while Tercero's hones his skills.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

Nick, are any of these guys a better bet than fred miller. We passed on miller, and given the amount of money he got, there is no reason to really believe that any of these guys would be dirt cheap. Would you pay steussie what miller got if we didnt take a tackle in round one?

general counsel

I'm not convinced that any of the guys mentioned would be upgrades from what we have, let alone an upgrade over Fred Miller. I certainly wouldn't pay any of them what Miller got. I wouldn't have even paid Miller what Miller got.

general counsel Guest

Nick, that is what i thought on miller as well and appeared to be the popular view on this board. If that is the case, and the rest of that list isnt as good as miller, i think its tercero or the draft. I like tercero, but like many others, i see him more as a guard and see no evidence that he is good enough to get us deep into the playoffs protection wise.

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

I have a question to throw in the mix. Is there a RT post June 1st that will be any better than Tercero or a rookie ?? Let's say the Rams do take a RT with the #19. When does he finally sign, and is there enough time left in training camp to get settled in with Martz' offense to start ?? Signing some RT help could be a plus going into camp. If they draft a RT and they sign early, Tercero also has a good camp and appears fit for a RT job, then the signed RT could be cut when cutting down to the 53 man roster.

What's your thoughts ??

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

These are all good questions maineram; however, all I know is that if the Rams draft a OT at 19 there is practically no way he starts in '05 and we will still need a quality RT. BTW with Jamaal Brown's wonderlic score of 12 does anybody really believe he can pick up the most complex offense in the NFL?

WHAT SAY YE?

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Those big old dumb lineman. Just get in somebody's way and stop them from killing our man MB. He'll figure out the rest as he goes.

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    ...all I know is that if the Rams draft a OT at 19 there is practically no way he starts in '05 and we will still need a quality RT. BTW with Jamaal Brown's wonderlic score of 12 does anybody really believe he can pick up the most complex offense in the NFL?
    You bring up a good point, how do Barrons, Brown and Barnes compare to Pace who did start his 1st year for us. Can any of these guys come in and start in 2005? I have been assuming they should be able to as 1st tier OT's. What was Pace's wonderlic score?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable
    These are all good questions maineram; however, all I know is that if the Rams draft a OT at 19 there is practically no way he starts in '05 and we will still need a quality RT. BTW with Jamaal Brown's wonderlic score of 12 does anybody really believe he can pick up the most complex offense in the NFL?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Considering the Wonderlic has nothing to do with football, I'm not convinced that a low Wonderlic score proves he can't pick up the offense. Rather, he just might not be able to tell you what the 9th month of the year is off the top of his head, or how fast a train travels in three seconds if it can travel 20 feet in 1/5 second.

The fact that he didn't allow a sack his entire senior season weighs far more heavily than the friggin' Wonderlic.

I think if the Rams draft a stud RT in round one, he has at least a shot to compete for the starting job with a guy like Tercero, who may know the offense, but is less physically gifted.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-19-2005 at 08:45 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    You bring up a good point, how do Barrons, Brown and Barnes compare to Pace who did start his 1st year for us. Can any of these guys come in and start in 2005? I have been assuming they should be able to as 1st tier OT's. What was Pace's wonderlic score?
    For the life of me I can't remember Pace's exact score, but I do remember an article written last year talking about the average intelligence (or lack thereof) for big name Poston clients. The article took the six biggest names in their stable at that time (Pace, Arrington, Law, C. Rogers, Woodson, & Peterson - IIRC) and averaged their Wonderlic at 15. The article gave a pretty good quote stating that score put them somewhere between an autistic donkey and a pile of cracked bricks.

While none of the 3 B's has all the physical tools that Pace has, mental skills or lack of mental skills wasn't a problem for Pace to start as a rookie, so maybe it won't be for those guys either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod