Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    richtree is offline Registered User

Post Tampa Bay -- Relax and Adjust

I agree, we all need to relax. We, as fans, have a great amount of frustration; just imagine the players feeling today after that loss.

I think the staff my evaluate the team and make the needed adjustments.

We are doing lots of things good, but some need slight changes.

Our defense continues to play well, but we need to focus a little harder on Turnover situations. Also, in a GreenZone defensive match-up the best player should not beat us. He should be double teamed or whatever, let someone else beat us.

On offense our passing game stinks and evaporates quickly mid-game. We must make an adjustment to get the ball down the field. We should have gotten the ball into DX hands somehow. It's obvious that our offense changes in the 2nd half when the pressure gets turned up.

Bradford obviously isn't ready to make big passing plays on the road and he could use some 4 WR sets, WHEN WE ARE WINNING, to help the team move the ball.

4 WR sets create open space for the WRs and allow SJax some field to work with as well..

Even if we pull that game out with a defensive stop, we have to make adjustments on offense. SJax was our leading Reciever and no WR had 40 yards.

I compare Bradford to Mark Sanchez and how great Sanchez looks in year two. I know Bradford will continue to make leaps forward as the season gets deeper but the coaching must find come creativity until then.

WR screens, Reverse, Wilcat, Flea Flicker, RollOut Playaction, anything...

** THIS POINT CANNOT BE OVERSTATED***
    **WHEN WE ARE WINNING, WE ARE NOT THE AGGRESSOR ON OFFENSE**

You can't get a pass interference call on a defensive back if you aren't being aggressive. I would bet we have to be last in the league in WR's drawing Pass Interference.

WE PLAY NOT TO LOSE, WE HAVE TO PLAY TO WIN ON OFFENSE.

DX had 2 targets -- That's unacceptable, he should have had 5 plays designed just to target him...get the ball in his hands somehow.

In conclusion, Spags defensive scheme and the improvement on special teams is keeping us in every game.

Our defense gets every inch of talent out of every player we have.
    Our offense isn't getting close to getting the talent out of our players.

After the Halloween game vs. Carolina there needs to be changes to the offensive scheme on the bye week.

Regards of how many wins we end up with, there must be a goal to evolve as a passing offense with Bradford getting the most out of all his teammates.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Post Tampa Bay -- Relax and Adjust

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

On offense our passing game stinks and evaporates quickly mid-game. We must make an adjustment to get the ball down the field. We should have gotten the ball into DX hands somehow. It's obvious that our offense changes in the 2nd half when the pressure gets turned up.

Bradford obviously isn't ready to make big passing plays on the road and he could use some 4 WR sets, WHEN WE ARE WINNING, to help the team move the ball.

4 WR sets create open space for the WRs and allow SJax some field to work with as well..

Even if we pull that game out with a defensive stop, we have to make adjustments on offense. SJax was our leading Reciever and no WR had 40 yards.

WR screens, Reverse, Wilcat, Flea Flicker, RollOut Playaction, anything...

You can't get a pass interference call on a defensive back if you aren't being aggressive. I would bet we have to be last in the league in WR's drawing Pass Interference.

DX had 2 targets -- That's unacceptable, he should have had 5 plays designed just to target him...get the ball in his hands somehow.

Our defense gets every inch of talent out of every player we have.
    Our offense isn't getting close to getting the talent out of our players.

After the Halloween game vs. Carolina there needs to be changes to the offensive scheme on the bye week.

Regards of how many wins we end up with, there must be a goal to evolve as a passing offense with Bradford getting the most out of all his teammates.
    Good points ...

You cannot draw P.I. penalties unless you throw the ball downfield, which we do very infrequently. Mark Clayton drew a couple when he was around ...

We only had 4 WR's active yesterday, which is why I think you didn't see much spread sets. Gilyard being out really limited us in that regard. Not sure why DX didn't get more looks, but he does have to be eased into a full time role. He does still have a bum knee ...

Almost all the yards in the passing game came on YAC yesterday. Big gains made out of swing passes mostly ...

The most troublesome part about the offense is we are among the league leaders in pass plays over 30 yards, believe it or not. Again, most of these are on big YAC gains and excellent deep grabs by Clayton. However, Bradford's YPA is among the lowest in the league. It does not add up ...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You cannot draw P.I. penalties unless you throw the ball downfield, which we do very infrequently. Mark Clayton drew a couple when he was around ...
    According to ESPN's stat splits, Bradford has only attempted nine passes beyond 20 yards downfield. That's not even 4% of his total attempts.

I thought I remembered you saying something about having some insider access to Stats LLC, is there a way to see where Sam's nine attempts beyond 20 yards down field ranks in the league? I can't imagine it would be high.

Looking at the individual splits for the other NFC West QBs, all of them have more than Sam. Even Mark Sanchez as a rookie in 2009 threw 10.7% of his attempts further than 20 yards down the field.

The thing that is frustrating is that during post-game and mid week talks with Spags he never says anything about getting Bradford to work the ball aggressive down the field via the pass.

Not to mention Blount broke a 55 yard run that was called back. It's hard to believe with every team in the NFL loading the box to stop Sjax and our constant vanilla run game, that a Super-Smart and Accurate QB like Bradford can't find 1 on 1 situations for a deep ball at least 4 times a game.

The thing that is frustrating is that during post-game and mid week talks with Spags he never says anything about getting Bradford to work the ball aggressive down the field via the pass.
    Maybe he doesn't believe it's that big of an issue, or believes that an efficient short passing game coupled with a power running attack is enough. I mean, I think we have to acknowledge the possibility that the lack of downfield passing may be at least in part by design as part of the scheme this coaching staff prefers.

I think at first they were thinking of taking small steps with the passing game but now there is a clear cut need to take steps forward if you want to compete with the rough schedule after the bye.

We need to show something different than a second half lack of offense.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Whilst I agree that much work needs to be done on the offensive side of the ball, one fundamental of the defence needs to be addressed: the abysmal tackling. Every single player should be made to stay an hour extra at daily practice, just doing tackling drills.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am not ready to relax. I enjoy fanning the flames for a while and being angry about these kinds of losses
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to ESPN's stat splits, Bradford has only attempted nine passes beyond 20 yards downfield. That's not even 4% of his total attempts.

I thought I remembered you saying something about having some insider access to Stats LLC, is there a way to see where Sam's nine attempts beyond 20 yards down field ranks in the league? I can't imagine it would be high.

Looking at the individual splits for the other NFC West QBs, all of them have more than Sam. Even Mark Sanchez as a rookie in 2009 threw 10.7% of his attempts further than 20 yards down the field.
    I will look into this ....

I will look into this ....
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Conservative playcalling results from average talent in one or more areas. The Rams do not have a good stable of wide receivers, and it is even worse without Avery and Clayton- two guys who aren't stars but were nonetheless the best the Rams had. Although Spags seems loathe to admit it publicly, I think the lack of deep balls and long patterns are a conscious decision by the coaches to play a high percentage offense and best utilize their personnel.

I was at yesterday's game, and do not feel the play calling was poor. To the contrary, I thought Shurmur mixed it up nicely and threw a couple of misdirection plays at TB where Bradford appeared to go in one direction and rolled out to the opposite side. Tampa was fooled numerous times with this, yet Bradford missed on several throws and was off kilter for much of the day. Poor execution, not horrible playcalling doomed the Rams yesterday- I can't lay this one on Shurmur.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Conservative playcalling results from average talent in one or more areas. The Rams do not have a good stable of wide receivers, and it is even worse without Avery and Clayton- two guys who aren't stars but were nonetheless the best the Rams had. Although Spags seems loathe to admit it publicly, I think the lack of deep balls and long patterns are a conscious decision by the coaches to play a high percentage offense and best utilize their personnel.

I was at yesterday's game, and do not feel the play calling was poor. To the contrary, I thought Shurmur mixed it up nicely and threw a couple of misdirection plays at TB where Bradford appeared to go in one direction and rolled out to the opposite side. Tampa was fooled numerous times with this, yet Bradford missed on several throws and was off kilter for much of the day. Poor execution, not horrible playcalling doomed the Rams yesterday- I can't lay this one on Shurmur.
    You mean the armchair coaches who can only see ten yards deep on their fancy HDTV's were wrong?

Bradford himself is in the media talking about how poorly he played.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I am sick of people using the excuse that our WR's are Average.

I watch SD's offense look good without Floyd and Nenee and Gates was hurt.
    I watch Denver and Buffalo make our offense look like garbage....

something has no change, anything.

Carolina is gonna push us around at home because we can't score..

I am sick of people using the excuse that our WR's are Average.

I watch SD's offense look good without Floyd and Nenee and Gates was hurt.
    I watch Denver and Buffalo make our offense look like garbage....

something has no change, anything.

Carolina is gonna push us around at home because we can't score..
    See, these are the types of posts that really irk me ...

Denver is 2-5, averaging a whopping 19.7 PPG ...

Buffalo averages 292.5 YPG and is 0-6 ...

Carolina averages 12.5 PPG and we're giving up 13.2 PPG at home while scoring 20.7 PPG ...

Does this stuff just leak out your mouth?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-25-2010 at 02:33 PM.

See, these are the types of posts that really irk me ...

Denver is 2-5, averaging a whopping 19.7 PPG ...

Buffalo averages 292.5 YPG and is 0-6 ...

Carolina averages 12.5 PPG and we're giving up 13.2 PPG at home while scoring 20.7 PPG ...

Does this stuff just leak out your mouth?
    You can find stats for anything. Please tell ask your eye-balls to look at the Rams offense and let me know they good?

WE are 5th from the bottom in Passing %
    We are next to last in yards per catch average.

Shouldn't our completion % be very good if we aren't taking chances?

Every week we hope our offense improves and it just doesn't happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast